Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads unraveling!? Super frizzy

tpage
@tpage
8 years ago
2 posts

Hello all! I have been loc'd for about a year and 2 months. I was going to a salon and she was using natural products which was good for me! She used a butter that had shea butter, honey, beeswax and some essential oils and it was okay for my hair. I stopped going to her about 3 months ago and decided to do it on my own. Okay well I'm starting to feel like I messed up my dressed indefinitely and I need help. I feel like they are frizzy, messy, damaged , thinning and maybe I twisted them too tight? My hairs refuse to matte or loc in each strand. I posted some pictures of what they look like currently. I'm freaking out and need some help!

image1.JPG.jpg
image1.JPG.jpg  •  377KB

image2.JPG.jpg
image2.JPG.jpg  •  115KB

updated by @tpage: 07/06/16 01:37:25AM
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
8 years ago
156 posts

In my opinion you need to get the wax out of your hair first, because it prevents from dreading. The frizz is actually good because then the hair can create knots. Don't twist or retwist your hair again, that will cause damage and probably the thinning you describe.

On this forum is a lot information how to grow healthy dreadlocks, you can read how to get rid of the wax and what is good or bad for the hair. I have learned a lot througt here and i just wash my hair and leave it alone, that is all you need to get locks, no studio, no maintainance, no products, just time.

Good luck on your journey!

tpage
@tpage
8 years ago
2 posts
  1. You think it's wax ? Don't retwist? As in my roots? If I don't they'll try to dread  together and I'll have to rip them apart. Ouch!
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
8 years ago
156 posts

Well, you have definitely some wax in your hair, because you went to the salon for almost a year and wax should be removed completely.

Seperation of strands that want to congo together is part of the process. Maybe separate your hair when it's wet? Separate from the root up, with a finger between two strands and pulling the finger up gently

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

you must use wax b gone 1st to get that wax out then stop twisting entirely

wax is a scam! it is made to glue the hair together to make you think its dreaded, but won't alow  it to move and dread

twisting thins the roots, causes traction alopecia and balding

the reason the roots are matting is that's the untouched healthy  unwaxed new growth ..the only part the salon didn't screw with so the only part that can dread the way it should

how i separate is while wet just pull any 2 dreads away from eachother..very simple

nothing removes wax once its in..its in for life  well no wax b gone from www.dreadlockshampoo.com removes it i meant no washing 10 years of washing won't remove 1 use of wax

its really evil stuff and the fact that the salon used it for a year means that you should  demand a refund of every cent you spent there all year.. they will never learn..never stop destroying dreads until they have to pay you back the (you will be shocked at how much you paid them over the year) money you should never have paid them in the 1st place

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

tpage "]
  1. You think it's wax ? Don't retwist? As in my roots? If I don't they'll try to dread  together and I'll have to rip them apart. Ouch!

tearing them aparts easy if done often enough and while wet or damp

twisting the roots causes them to become very cone shaped with thick ends and gradually getting thinner and thinner as you get closer to the scalp

at the scalp  what you see is, way too huge of sections for the dreads (salons plan from day 1 on causing thinning and balding, so make the sections way bigger then the intended dread sizes), so the hairs pulled tight perpendicular to the scalp, and the scalp showing between dread sections.. as time goes by those gaps widen, the sections the hairs come from shrink a lil and the roots get incredibly thin.. often 2  ir 4 mm  while the tips are  1/2 inch or more

whats happening below the scalps surface is hidden, but this is whats really the biggest risk with twisting.. .remember those hairs pulled tight, perpendicular to the scalp? that's causing tension, which kills the capillaries that carry blood to the follicle.. the only living part of the hair.. and it dies

so between sections where you should have 10 hairs every 1 mm you now have 5-10 mm (i know i hate metric too but for tiny things its usefull) that doesn't have a single living follicle

in extreme cases the gaps can be inches wide, and the damage permenant without a hair transplant (and salons will go on twisting even after reaching a point of permenant damage

so now you have fired the salon.. great!

you recognize he problems.. great

you came to the absolute best place for real honest info.. great

and now all we have to do is correct the issues the salon caused (remove wax) and change your habits so you don't continue the harm the salon started

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form