Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Your dread story

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Iain, i believe you may be in luck. I think baldness is determine by the mother's genetic side of the family???? So if all the men on that side have their hair yet, you may be rockin those dreads for quite a while!!! ;) Iain said:
hahaha, tbh, I was contemplating that when I first saw his picture, all the men on my dads side are completely bald, whereas on my mom they all have their hair, so idk what will happen
go Dominant Genes!

updated by @midread: 07/19/15 01:40:37PM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
MiDread said:
Iain, i believe you may be in luck. I think baldness is determine by the mother's genetic side of the family???? So if all the men on that side have their hair yet, you may be rockin those dreads for quite a while!!! ;)

Iain said:
hahaha, tbh, I was contemplating that when I first saw his picture, all the men on my dads side are completely bald, whereas on my mom they all have their hair, so idk what will happen
go Dominant Genes!
Really!?oh god I hope so! thank you :)
Emily
@emily
14 years ago
203 posts
yeah my english teacher just told me that too! you should be fine :) Iain said:
MiDread said:
Iain, i believe you may be in luck. I think baldness is determine by the mother's genetic side of the family???? So if all the men on that side have their hair yet, you may be rockin those dreads for quite a while!!! ;)

Iain said:
go Dominant Genes!

Really!?
oh god I hope so! thank you :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
my dads had a bald spot since he was 16 his dad was bald as well my6 moms side had good hair into te 90'smy hairs shown no sign of balding or thhinning

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
knottymuffin
@knottymuffin
14 years ago
12 posts
i did mine myself on feb 3rd.(tomorrow is gonna be a month for me!) i sectioned them off and crocheted them with the crochet hook thingy, and since that day i have done nothing to them but wash everyother day and rip the congos from forming.and i have wanted dreads for a long long time :D. and i was looking for a salon to "do" them for me. and thats when i found this site. AND THANK GOD i didnt waste my money and time by sitting in a salon or by smearing nasty wax in my hair!!but anyway, i decided to dread because i was tired of using abunch of chemicals and products in my hair,and just maintaining it. and many of hair products that i have come across test on animals. and that is really lame. im totally against that. and dreads,its like a more earthly kinda feeling, and i digg that. i dont know how else to explain it why :)
Danny
@danny
14 years ago
9 posts
I've wanted dreads for a long while but never really known why. I just finished a yearlong trip around the world where I spent a few months in India. When I left initially I had very short hair and just let it grow for the entire trip. beard too. I let some thai woman crochet them in in Bangkok.I quit a 'good' job as a software/web programmer in a very corporate environment to go travelling. I was petrified that I'd be sucked back into that world when I came home, and i think putting the dreads in was kinda like an insurance against that. It will mean working a little harder but I'd like to try and make it on my own terms in the industry.Mistakes i made? Combing the knots out that formed naturally throughout my time in India, in fear of having ratty looking dreads, saving my hair only to have it damaged by having dreads crocheted in in Bangkok... yeh that's up there... why didnt i find this site a year ago?
Sophehhh
@sophehhh
14 years ago
11 posts
Okay, i got my dreads going about 5 years ago, got them at the end of jan 2005, i got them for various reasons the main one because i love the way they look..I started them by going to glastonbury town and paying some woman 100 quid, big regret she didnt do the tightly at all and she used home made beeswax which completly messed them up and made me sticky.. if i could go bak i would deffinutly not use wax, even thought its so easy to use it so they look tidy, but the natural way is so much cleaner! you realise this when later down the line ur pulling out clumps of mess and redoing them urself :P i found that dread wrapping some of mine helped them mature and harden alot quicker, and i still have some wraps in from 2005 and its a great reminder of the first year i had them =DI had always wanted dreads from a very early age, i loved the people i met who had them and completly adored any man who had dreadlocks and nose piercings so i went about my way to get them for myself, i decided to get them after i left school as i knew i would only have grief if i had them during my schooling years, my mother was keen on the idea, my auntie hated it and offered me a grand to not get them, i declined and am so happy coz now they have matured beautifully =DI aspire to be a grannie with dreadlocks x
Dave2
@dave2
14 years ago
71 posts
Well i first wanted dreads when Bob Marley was introduced to the mainstream public, no rasta hype or weed bullsh**(not that that's a problem) i just loved the look. Well here i am 44 and i just startd them January 10-2010 by backcombing and crochet(crochet once a week for first month,now stopped). I researched what i could on the net for over a year and i really didnt like the sound of wax and im a logical person and know ancient dreads weren't formd with commercial products.The turning point for me was finding first a youtube vid on crochet(no wax,me like) then a blog by some babe who goes into why wax was bad, so we lockd up.But something in my head said crochet was damagng(not to mention time consuming) so we stoppd but then came the frizz, now i work in medical manufacturing and a certain degree of supposed cleanliness is expected and although the majority of my work mates and bosses accepted my locks immediately(unfortunately not my parents yet) i felt a little consious of the "mess".Having had long hair(and the predujices that come with it)most my life ive come to have a bit of pride in its condition and the frizz "was" not acceptable,looking for help i read about aloe vera and found here.Now im a big cactus freak and have always had aloe(a succulent,i know) so i was very pleased that it was my answer.I use t-gel as i have a large problem with dandruff(always have) and now just rub some aloe gel on in the morning for the frizz, they aint as smooth as they were crochetd and now they're startin to get lumpy in spots but thanks to you i know thats the locking process beginning and the aloe has helpd me live with the frizz.I love my dreads and cant wait for them to mature.thanx to all here..

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form