Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Homeschool/unschool folks?

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
12 years ago
46 posts
School is too generalized, some kids struggle to read, while others are bored to hell in the classroom because they're not learning anything new, they get restless and then put on ADHD drugs. They tried putting me on those drugs, but my mom was smarter than that saying, "he reads books and builds with legos attentively for hours". That was my experience in school. I believe unless the children want to learn what is being taught they won't retain it, or won't learn as effectively as if they were pushed into a system such as the one that exists. Much as prisoners are "rehabilitated" rather than institutionalized, nothing but a lie. The American school system is great, if you want an army of uninformed consumers.
updated by @marcellus-wallace: 07/23/15 06:14:31PM
Mama Kat
@mama-kat
12 years ago
7 posts

If you don't want to homeschool, you don't have to. If I don't want to send my kids to a school where bullying isn't handled correctly & different learning styles are frowned upon & singled out as a disability, where they want to medicate my intelligent, creative children, just because the teacher is too busy, I don't have to. Isn't it a wonderful world?

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
Let's not forget the important stuff they don't teach you and choose to teach lies instead. For example, I had no idea who Nikola Tesla was until after high school when I learned about him through random web surfing. We were taught that Thomas Edison was some great inventor. No, he just undermined other inventors, stole their work and made them look bad. Also, we were never taught that we essentially lost at Vietnam. These are just two small examples of things they don't teach in public school that make a lot of kids look like morons later in life. Public school also teaches kids to believe everything they hear so later in life you see a lot of them who aren't able to form their own opinions about anything. I'm sure we've all had a debate with those kind of people at least once and it's frustrating.
dreadielocks
@dreadielocks
12 years ago
5 posts
Nope but I am a parent of three little boys. That's good for you ..I am a stay at home mom so I am number one teacher...but I also run a business .. I am grateful my younger kids go to a great school..I think that homeschooling has enough support as a community ..so I don't disagree with it. It justcant work for me.
coheteia
@coheteia
10 years ago
3 posts

I love child led learning! I think it is the best way to help children understand who they are and what their interests are at an early age. I also love that I choose how my kids are socialized instead of that being up to whatever dynamic/ecosystem is available in the particular school environment. I unschool my 7 year old and I unschooled my 15 year old up until 8th grade. He is at a Montessori high school now, which I consider a wonderful environment.

MamaEmmelia
@mamaemmelia
10 years ago
19 posts
We are homeschoolers, & I was homeschooled as a child too. =) We do Charlotte Mason (how I was taught), but we keep lessons VERY brief & allow the kids to pursue their own interests as much as possible. I do CM because it's important to me to expose them to the classics...but I have a lot of unschooled have tendencies.
MamaEmmelia
@mamaemmelia
10 years ago
19 posts
Unschooling tendencies, that is. ;)
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
7 years ago
233 posts

"Let's not forget the important stuff they don't teach you and choose to teach lies instead. For example, I had no idea who Nikola Tesla was until after high school when I learned about him through random web surfing. We were taught that Thomas Edison was some great inventor. No, he just undermined other inventors, stole their work and made them look bad." 

Cool fun fact, Nikola Tesla was homeschooled by his illiterate mother on their remote farm! I'm a few years late to the party BUT I'M HERE! =D 

Homeschooling family of 5 littles. We love our journey. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. :D

Alligator is pretty tasty too 

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
7 years ago
233 posts

Our education system is a disaster in every sense. Our moral decline and lack of family/personal values only speaks to it's source... That our children are not brought up within a home and community but to be conformed into obedient followers without question. Our education system is turning towards the Chinese ideals, ranks, full records from birth, soon only those approved will be permitted higher education, while we lose touch of those very basic skills and sustained us and we've thrived on to build ourselves up to the point that we are. When technology fails, where will we have left our future? Surely capable but entirely unprepared and unskilled in the practical knowledge of survival. 

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form