dreads and jobs

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

what do ya all do?
so often you hear how you will never get a decent job with dreads
but i find thats not really true
i have worked in an office (IT managing web designers) ive been on the board of directors of a non profit, having meetings with politicians reporters and wealthy patrons and the elite of the arts community

i have known dreads who ran the networks for ivy league universities
doctors lawyers (mostly civil rights or constitutional law) just about every occupation

there are some who may descriminate, they need you to really sell yourself so your skills blind them to your dreads
but most are accepting with the right explanations

there are some though that are not a descriminastion issue but safety issue
in fields where dreads can represent a daner its understandable to have a requirement to not have dreads
but ..all companies must have a written no dreads plicy to restrict you from working with dreads
unless its in writting they cant deny you employment if yoiur skills are above the others.
neither can they ask you to cut

what fields are you in, did u dread before or afyter hire and how has the reactions been?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/03/18 02:56:42PM
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
I'm now a stay at home mum. My kids don't discriminate so I havent had any experiences as of yet. lolBefore I dreaded though, I worked as a Library Assistant where even wearing denim was a no-no. So I definately do think that there is still a lot of discrimination going on.I know Australia is still a fair way behind other countries, so it might be less of an issue in the states? I'm not sure. Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences though.
katie
@katie
15 years ago
4 posts
[But i see locked peeps in all kind of jobs here and it is completely illegal to discriminate against people for their appearance when hiring.]not in america. you can't discriminate against people based on their race, religion, etc, but an employer is able to turn you down if your appearance doesn't fit into their dress code.
beinknotty
@beinknotty
15 years ago
8 posts
I own a window cleaning company... so I hired me with them. I have had a few customers that have looked at me funny but never said anything so....
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Or their personal viewpoints on appearance....
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
employers will still discriminate - but they just wont tell you to your face that it is because of your dreadlocks. Of course, it does depend on the employer individually though. I pretty much think when it is time for me to go back out in to the workforce - if someone chooses not to hire me then they are probably arseholes to work for anyway.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
It seems it is easier to handle when you own your own business. Clients tend to think more about price and service rather than the way you look. There is the odd individual who is a little weirded by it but generally people don't care or just have simple curiosity.
Klete
@klete
15 years ago
47 posts
I'm a electrician on the railroad so it's no problem unless they start being conductive to electricity!! At other jobs, they were a definite no no. worked in a grocery store for a while and was constantly being told to cut my hair when it got even a little long. I agree with having to sell yourself so they look at you instead of your hair. if you go in with confidence and sell yourself and show your skills, i really believe 9 times out of ten your hair will have nothing to do with it
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
(not in america. you can't discriminate against people based on their race, religion, etc, but an employer is able to turn you down if your appearance doesn't fit into their dress code.)appearance when it comes to dress or hairstyle can be based on religion or spiritual reasons. religion doesnt hacve to be defined as a particular belief only a spiritual bond you feel.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Matthew Breen
@matthew-breen
15 years ago
17 posts
well where i live there is at least 5 weird looks a day if i am in public, i used to hate it but now i love it because i fell like "haha i am different than you".. its just normall is tooo .. boring
 / 16

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form