Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

HashFlare
Dreadlocks Forums

Fiance fired; advice?

btw990
@btw990
2 months ago
66 posts

Hey all, so I've had my dreads for a little over two years now and my fiance finally decided she wanted hers dreaded as well. Like me, her hair is like a lion's mane, but way more poofy and thick, so in order to keep it tame, she had to either tie it back or straighten it, which takes her a a while because of how thick and curly it is. So after thinking it through for a while, she decided she wanted to dread it for minimal maintenance. Her days off of work have been Wednesday and Thursday, so I started Wednesday night and ended Thursday morning, using mostly TnR and a little backcombing to help lock it down. She wound up with 45 dreads, and I am pretty proud of the way it came out after using all the advice I've gathered from this site. Afterward we had my good friend come over to tighten it with I believe a Klixer. I know I know, if it isn't naturally locking then there's the risk of damage/not so natural look. But she didn't want them to be poofy and all over the place because of her job, which I completely understand, so I wasn't opposed, and I was actually very pleased with the results. It's the only time we're ever having planned on doing unnecessary maintenance to it. Anyway...

We found out a few weeks ago that we're having another baby in May. She's been working at a granite countertop shop since the beginning of 2015, and has worked her way down from reception up to sales, and lately has been closing more big sales then any of the other salespeople. On top of that, she's always made to do other people's work, including the office manager because she is a lazy drama queen. But regardless of all that, she was reprimanded this past Tuesday for "fucking off" and "making the office manager feel like crap because she was excited about selling a $12,000 job), even though those past few days she closed practically all the sales and finished hers and everyone else's work. The owner couldn't even confront her about "fucking off" himself, probably because it wasn't for legitimate reasoning, so he had her co-salesperson speak to her instead. So this morning I took her to work, and an hour later she calls me hysterically crying because the owner gave her "the ultimatum" of keeping her job or keeping her dreads. Ok, so I know it may have not been what most people would say is the smartest thing to do, but I'm not going to let her continue being treated like shit when she's clearly been being used for so long, so I picked her up.

My guess is that the owner wasn't happy about her being pregnant again because of the maternity leave in a few months. She was his so-called "favorite" worker, so she had been told time and time again, because of her go-to attitude and she makes sure she gets things done, but Tuesday it was like comparing day and night with the ridiculous things said about her. I think the dreads, even though they are so nice and neat, is the straw that broke the camel's back. Meanwhile, some of the other workers and managers there that interact with customers have sleeves of tattoos. There was never any policy on appearance when she got hired, and they didn't even make them wear official uniforms until last year. So...

What advice can anyone give me on our next steps? I'm making her apply for unemployment for now, but before I do I want to know what her rights are exactly (in more simple terms because I get confused easily if it's not clearly laid out). We are born-again Christians, so religion as far as Rastafarianism is out of the books; however, half the reason I have my hair dreaded in the first place is both as a form of fasting and letting the Lord work His art on my head. But the law seems to be against Christian beliefs, so I don't know.

Oh yeah, when they first put her in sales, they changed her schedule from Mon-Fri to Fri-Tues, hourly on the week days and flat rate $100 each for the weekend days. So when they had her working 6 days a week for a few weeks to cover the office manager's work while she was on vacation, she made absolutely no overtime. More evidence that they've been dicking her around. I think I've covered all the important parts. So any help from anyone would be totally appreciated. Thank you!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,091 posts

ok lets cover this all 1st the flixer wtf is that thing doing actually why would you use that? i was way more confused by that then the rest of this

now to address the real issues (and why the flixer might have backfired in 1 major defense) 

https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/dreads-jobs-employment-issues/110594/dreadlocks-and-employement-laws-your-rights-to-wear-dreads-in-the-workplace-explained

these are your rights based on belief

now since your a christian you judiasm and rastfarians all share 1 common defense the nazarite vow.

btw990:

We are born-again Christians, so religion as far as Rastafarianism is out of the books; however, half the reason I have my hair dreaded in the first place is both as a form of fasting and letting the Lord work His art on my head. But the law seems to be against Christian beliefs, so I don't know.

that is your defense

any religion as you see reading the rights act only has to be a "sincerely held belief" 

now the flixer however is making it a style and less of a religios expression, that could be your downfall

you can also reference my post here a letter to employers concerning dreadlocks

https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/71440/letter-to-employers-concerning-dreadlocks

now i would take it above the managers head

my best friend had very similar experiences at her old job and when her manager fired her she took it to the regional manager .. and the result was my best friend was the new manager the very next day

shes been mistreated and deserves justice

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
btw990
@btw990
2 months ago
66 posts
Thanks for your respond, SE. The reason she wanted to take the Klixer route was because she had already anticipated hearing crap about it with the way this past Tuesday went, but figured if it at least looked neat they wouldn't have much to complain about. But other than having gotten it done last night, that's the only work that'll ever be done on it aside from washing, separating, and Vicki's magic gel here and there. If it helps the situation, they at least didn't become ridiculously tight as if dreadheadhq products were used, and I'll put a couple pictures up of her hair natural and after dreads.

As far as upper management goes, it's actually a privately owned company (progressivedimensions.com is their page), so as far as I know atm all she can do is file unemployment which she is doing right now, as well as contact the EEOC. I read online that the amount of employees is a factor as well, he has about 40 people total working for him.
20171020_140733.png
20171020_140733.png  •  1.3MB

20171019_212534.jpg
20171019_212534.jpg  •  1.5MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,091 posts

wow what awesome hair shes got

but sounds like shed be better off in a diferent job anyways, in fact, start her own business as direct competition since shes the best 1 there  

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
btw990
@btw990
2 months ago
66 posts
Funny you say that because she's been saying for a while she feels like we're meant to have our own business in interior design. And she says thank you about her hair!

She was able to speak to someone on the phone from unemployment earlier and file her claim, told them about how she feels it's because she's pregnant because of the mistreatment since she told the boss, but how today she went in and was fired for her hair. The lady on the phone sounded shocked about what happened and told her she needs to do fact the EEOC, so that's our next step.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,091 posts

absolutely

plus i believe you have a solid case for a civil lawsuit too

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
btw990
@btw990
2 months ago
66 posts
Thank you so much SE for your help, knowledge and support. I'll keep this updated as things progress and let you know if I have any more questions.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,091 posts

cool

plz do keep me updated

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
btw990
@btw990
2 months ago
66 posts

So she talked to the Philly EEOC office today, and according to them, her former boss violated 4 things with them: pregnancy discrimination, religious discrimination, harassment, and wrongful discharge. They had her print and fill out their online questionnaire, and we just faxed it over. Was VERY careful about how we worded things regarding her dreads, at least we tried to be. This is what we wrote as far as her dreadlocks:

"As far as the appearance of my hair, I have decided to allow it to dread because of a personal conviction I have within my Christian faith to separate myself to God (the book of Numbers in the Holy Bible, chapter 6:1-25 outlines the Nazirite vow). Naturally, my hair is very course and curly, so in order to retain a more professional appearance at work, I used gel on each lock to keep everything neat and tidy. I was more than happy to have a discussion with my boss about this; however, I was not even given a chance before I was screamed at and belittled for how I look."

So now we wait...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,091 posts

good job

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
 / 3