Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how many children with dreads are in the family of this site

hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts

hey i was looking through the groups that i have and i was looking at the activity on them. well i have one for parents who have dread and also have children with dreads or just children with dreads as well as the dreading process and it made me think.......How many parents on here have children with dreads or how many dready families are actually on this site. as im sure you all know my son is 18 months now and hes had dreads for approximately 5 months now. i figure hes probably the youngest but it got me curious of other parents who also are like me and have children with dreadlocks . just curious and i was wondering whats the best or worst expeirence youve had on your journey also if you have good advice or tips for other dreadie familes

updated by @hippie-mama: 01/13/15 08:29:44PM
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
if you do have kids with dreads im curious to know how many and their ages. its good to find other families similar to mine. :o)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
theres a few..i cant say how many but at least a handful.and a few more who want to dread theyre kids hair..a couple i know of havent been on alot though..there were 2 who joined in the 1st weeks the site was up, but have hardly been on since

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarah Numan
@sarah-numan
14 years ago
5 posts
Hey Hippy Mama, my son is also 18 months and has 4 natural dreads now. It took quite a while for the first one to appear but once it had, the other 3 came really quickly. They are at the back of his head so probably made from his sleeping position. I am hoping the rest of his hair will dread naturally - not even looking like it's starting at the moment though. I do wash his hair with an eco store baby shampoo (always have done) but I never brush it. I would also love to hear any advice or tips on what to do with the rest of his hair. Should I somehow encourage dreads to form or keep leaving it to do it's own thing? I will try and get a pic of them tomorrow and post it up. Would love to see one of your boys too if you are keen to show. Thanks.
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I see my daughter in the future having them, but right now we're enjoying her curls :P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

at this point i think theres at least a dozen familes with dready kids maybe as high as 20?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

my daughter has had about 4-6 natural dreadlocks since she was approx 18 months old {she is 21 months old now}. They happened organically since we don't own a brush and I never brush my own hair so don't really think to brush hers. They are at the back of her head, where she sleeps and just as Sarah Nunman says the rest of her hair doesn't look like it is doing anything dready at all. I wash her hair maybe every 2 weeks, a lot would be 1x a week. I have combed {with daddy's beard comb} them out 1x just to see if they would come back and they did and we decided that she can decide what she wanst to do with them at any point along the way. If she says cut em, we will cut em. if she wants to dread the rest, we will help her to do that.

My dreadlocks are 11 months old now. My mom is convinced that we are putting something in her hair {food} that just needs to be combed out and then it will be fine. She doesn't get that Jocelyn's hair is doing just what my hair is and that we are OK with it. *sigh*

I didn't think that I would dreadlock her hair, but now I realize that it isn't a priority for us to comb her hair or to worry about styling it of whatever--so--until she can manage it on her own this is how I am 'managing' it. Life is too busy to brush kids hair, IMO.

Jeanna
@jeanna
13 years ago
20 posts
My two and a half year old son hasn't wanted his hair brushed or cut for some time now. My husband and I feel that everyone should have the right to make their own choices with their body, including their hair. Since my hair is also a partially dreaded mess, it wasn't an issue for us anyway. He recently asked for me to make him some pirate hair, (two year old speak for dreads) so now he's got some twist and rip babies started as well. We think it's adorable. My husband, who was initally against dreads completely, is now proud of them and proudly proclaims that he has the coolest kid ever.
Kerry Phillips
@kerry-phillips
13 years ago
11 posts

I'm working on an article for a new publication about dreads. I'd love to hear from anyone involved in this discussion. I'm seekingfamilies who have made the decisionto wear locks. Lookingfor families where the parent and children have locks.Why was this the decision made? What do they representto yourfamily?Why was the decision madeto lock the children's hair? Also lookingfor a family where the parents have locks but have chosen to allow their child(ren)to decide whether or notto have locks...

I'm on a deadline so speedy responses would be greatly appreciated :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form