dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Children with Dreadlocks??

echolynnrain
@echolynnrain
15 years ago
72 posts
Thanks sister. :) MommaCrunch said:
Yup definately unsweetened koolaid!!! You use the little packets to do a koolaid dye.

Echolynnrain, Last year I gave myself bangs. I wanted a pin up style bang like Betty Page and I cut mine a bit too short. Thankfully by wearing the right clothing and make up I was able to pull it off and they grew out really fast. Your daughter's will grow out too :)

updated by @echolynnrain: 07/23/15 03:14:09AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
moved to dread in the familythink it fits better here

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ChainedAngel
@chainedangel
15 years ago
4 posts
So, my ds 12 asked today if he could have dreadlocks. I was soooo proud! But.... this is a prepubescent boy who fights taking showers and often lies about washing his hair. (he has major sensory issues) So I was thinking if he still wants to do dreadlocks in a few months I may let him. But he needs to be washing his hair.I was thinking that I might give him a spray bottle of baking soda and water to spritz into his hair until its wet and then have him rinse it out in the shower after 20 min. That sound reasonable?BTW- with what SE says about Cheyanne... I say let her go for the dreads.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
oh she is gonna dread thats a given

--
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
my son is 16 months old and he has dreads. i know what some people might say that he dont have a choice but hes always loved playing with mine and my husbands for the longest time and ever since hes had them he loves to shake them around and play with them too. plus i see it this way. its not a tattoo. if they decide later in life they dont want the dreads they can alwasy cut them off! i mean if i would have had a daughter i would have done like you did and wait till shes older to make a more educated decision but like i said it might sound crazy but at 16 months he really seems to love them. and its important in my opinion that a child wants to be like their parents. so why not let them. and if she changes her mind......its hair. it can be cut. but she is very adorable either way
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
she will never want another haircut in her life ..i know that shes said that..shes been forced into cutting too many times now by chevy's evil ex and was traumatized by it..now shes made chevy promice she will never have to have another haircut ever

--
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
absolutely, as long as it is their choice.I guess I would also find out why and have a discussion with them about what it means to them and what it means to others and what not.
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
omg, first off, your kids are gorgeous! They are just so cute! and I totally would let fallon have dreads if she wanted them, but I'd explain to her first "how they work" the T+R, the different washing, if she didnt want them anymore, we might have to cut them out etc etc and if she stillw anted em, power to her.
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
LOL This is almost exactly what I was going to say Matthew Breen said:
omg omg omg as soon as i read this i got soooo excited YAAAY the thought of little kids with dreadlocks makes me soo happy . first of all dreadlocks is really rare where i am at so when i see someone with dreadlocks i freak out with excitement lol and then if i see a girl with dreadlocks which i did ina different city it makes me 100 times more excited because thats like super rare to me and now little kids omg i am having like a seizure lol (ok maybe that could have been offennsive) but that is just so great and i love how you think they should be able to decide for themselves because tahts how my mom was with me, but she says getting to choose your hairstyle is a privelege and if i get bad grades and stuff etc she would cut them off . i dont think she would thought but its a pretty frightening threat if you know what i mean. ohh i am so excited to see you kid with dreadlocks i am worried they will quit out though cuz its always rough in the beginning. plz encourage her as much as possible. lol i didnt even answer your question i was just to excited and then i get talking , but YES i would love for my kids to have dreadlocks if i one day had kids.
Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
First, your girls are absolutely gorgeous. I can see old spirit in Cheyanne and such a sense of wonder from Raven!! Beautiful!! Rainbow dyeing your dread....if Koolaid doesn't work, try something like Punky colors, they're a little pricey, but the jars are resealable, so you could use them later, and they're thick, so you could put all the colors on at the same time, They wash out in about six weeks, and they smell deliciously fruity!! My son is 2, and he has dreads. They started all on their own,so we just let them go, he likes them, he plays with mine and his daddies too, and if you ask him if he wants dreadlocks, he says a very enthusiastic "Yeah!" My daughter doesn't like them, but if she wanted them, I would let her have them too. I feel it's important to let our children make decisions like that. It gives them an important sense of empowerment. It's tough enough to be little and have so much that you can't do for so many reasons, let them make decisions when it won't cause them harm. My nephew, now 12, loved his long hair. His mother (my sister, although she disowned the family) cuts his hair as punishment. She knows the power of hair, and thusly uses it to punish him. She first cut it when he was around 8, and he cried, and she hasn't let him grow it back out yet, she says he hasn't behaved well enough to deserve long hair.I can't believe that in 4 years he's misbehaved so terribly, he's a sweet kid.Just one of those points where we had a difference of opinion...Anyhow, as I was saying, I believe in empowering our children, and allowing to make the decisions regarding their hair and what they want to do with it is just one of the ways we can do that!!

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form