Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Whats it like being a dready parent?

MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts

I get some of the oddest looks when I am out in public with my kids.. I wonder if anyone else wants to exchange experiences of being a parent with dreadlocks?I went to enroll my oldest into a great school last week (it really is a 5 star place) and was amazed at the way the director seemed to analyze me and my dreads. It was like he tried hard not to notice them, but awkwardly just smiled like I was a freak show as he talked. I was accepted but still.. It was strange the aura about the room.

updated by @mountainwillow: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
chevy was telling me a story about how her oldest daughter did a lil pressentation on rainbow gatherings and dreads for show and tell and then the teacher called chevy in to ask her "what are dreads?" and shes standing right in front of her with bveautiful thick dreads..i think alotta ppl are still clueless

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
Today was the first time I went out with out my hair covered in public. I didn't have my kids with me. I had one older lady look at me and make a face but that was it. The moms at our homeschool group are used to me being a bit different so I don't think they will blink when I walk in this week for sign up day.Of course on the flip side I am caretaker for my husband's grandmother. When I take her to Dr's appointments I usually try to dress conservatively because I feel that I am taken more seriously when I need to advocate for her. I usually leave the patch work skirts, cartoon t-shirts and other fun things at home and try to look all soccer mom. Now I guess that plan won't work so well, I don't think I will blend in as well. I wonder if the Drs will take me as seriously?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i have dreads that drag i=on the ground and found that even the msyor and congressmen drs and lawyers take me seriuslyevery once in awhile u get 1 who dont but i used toi do fundraising for a non proffit i was on the board of and would meet with the wealthy elite of the aerts scene and city and state polititions all the time and got nothing but respect MommaCrunch said:
Today was the first time I went out with out my hair covered in public. I didn't have my kids with me. I had one older lady look at me and make a face but that was it. The moms at our homeschool group are used to me being a bit different so I don't think they will blink when I walk in this week for sign up day.

Of course on the flip side I am caretaker for my husband's grandmother. When I take her to Dr's appointments I usually try to dress conservatively because I feel that I am taken more seriously when I need to advocate for her. I usually leave the patch work skirts, cartoon t-shirts and other fun things at home and try to look all soccer mom. Now I guess that plan won't work so well, I don't think I will blend in as well. I wonder if the Drs will take me as seriously?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
I blogged this weekend about how frustrated and enlightening it was as a dready parent in a busy grocery store with kids. I actually had people pushing and shoving and not even bothering to say excuse me. (at least before dreads I got a half assed-excuse me or im sorry or something). When I was practically shoved into a rack and the lady who did actually bumped my 9month old hard whom I was wearing on my back- thats when I barked back at her and said something like "excuse me, its ok we are fine, thankyou" (although not those exact words) she didnt even turn around.Its like just because of my hair means I am not human- let alone a parent. I had my baby on my back!
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
Oh that grocery store thing is terrible. I have to wonder though if the person was just plain rude and it would not have mattered how you looked. I run into some very nasty, rude people when I am out shopping. Even when I used to look ultra conservative (think jumper wearin' June Cleaver) I had things like that happen. So many people today are just down right rude and they don't care about anyone but themselves.
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
I feel for you with the whole grocery store thing. Rude, rude people. I think that would make me even happier to have dreadlocks though - they really do let you see just how superficial some people are. And the people that really are truly beautiful on the inside will treat you no differently than before you dreaded.I find that taking the kids with me - people arent as judgemental as when i am by myself. Might have something to do with kids looking more presentable and loved by me (definately not saying yours aren't). i drove off with my wallet on the roof of my car today. Had to park my car and go looking for it. So here i am on a cold winters' morning wearing old jeans, a short t-shirt, barefoot (i hate driving with shoes on), tattoos showing and dreads walking up the wrong way of the street on the bitumen. Should've seen all the looks i got then! hahahaha
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
LMAO Kath!But I hope you found your wallet at least?Yea I have encountered some rude people in my day, but the extremity of it this weekend def makes me wonder. Esp when it seemed none of those people would even make eye contact with me.
Zynobek
@zynobek
15 years ago
21 posts
People are strange...I am the Mom of a wonderful 9 year old dreddy Zyn Prince.My child and I were rejected from a private school because..." You must be able to comb his hair to attend this school"; said the president of the school.What snobs!!! I homeschool now and some of the "religious hs groups" I've come across are just as judgemental and narrow minded.So, I finally found a secular, all inclusive "unschooling" group that doesn't look twice at me or my son because of our appearance.I am trying to surround my family with positive energy...that's why I am so glad to be a part of this group. Nice to know that I am not alone ;-)
Amma Niradhara
@amma-niradhara
15 years ago
19 posts
zyn that school policy sounds like a direct negation of some peoples human rights by presumtion that all human hair is combable. but agree you dont want to send your kid into an environment where this is an issue making negativity around him.
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form