Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

Severe Dandruff

Lora E
@lora-e
6 years ago
10 posts

Hi,

I've had dreads for a few weeks now, they are dreaded pretty well for being so young, they are coming along nicely. But I am having severe dandruff issues, especially right in the roots. I don't know what to do, it really sucks cuz whenever I go out I have to wear something to cover my head. I try to pick them out of the roots and it just makes it worse, it's like my scalp is caked with it, now the dandruff is getting caught in my dreads pretty bad.

Any ideas? I've been washing with this sites recommended baking soda/water/tea tree oil wash and adding a bit of aloe too, rinsing withvinegar. It's great, helps the itching but my scalp is really bad...

Thanks.


updated by @lora-e: 02/14/15 05:18:31PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
6 years ago
665 posts

Okay, here is what you get...Garnier Frutis Anti-Dandruff Shampoo in the Clear Control Formula. You can probably find it at Target or even the grocery store (and it wasn't too expensive!). They actually guarantee this product will work. I have a healthy scalp but was experiencing itching on 2 small areas that never seemed to really fully go away. I think I have mild psoriasis...but this stuff knocked out all the itch and my scalp has not one flake!!! It is residue free and smells great. After the scalp is under control, you don't have to use it every shampoo either! I think this will help you ALOT. Sometimes, you need to calm the scalp and break the cycle. Once the scalp is neutralized you should be in better shape. Also, be sure that you are using warm enough water with your BS to get it fully dissolved...if not, it can leave traces behind as well :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,922 posts

make the baking soda bit stronger add rosemary oil maybe pepermint too

bout 3 tines as much rosemary as teatree

and do a cold rinse after

you are rinsuing the baking sioda b4 u do the acv right?

u will get dandruff in young dreads its hard to avoid but the bs will remove it if strong enough and the rosemarty will help keep it away mostly




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Andre'
@andre
6 years ago
29 posts
Is it better that the BS/ACV rinse water is cold or warm?

soaring eagle said:

make the baking soda bit stronger add rosemary oil maybe pepermint too

bout 3 tines as much rosemary as teatree

and do a cold rinse after

you are rinsuing the baking sioda b4 u do the acv right?

u will get dandruff in young dreads its hard to avoid but the bs will remove it if strong enough and the rosemarty will help keep it away mostly

Castaway J
@castaway-j
6 years ago
588 posts

always rinse with cold if your prone to dandruff. works for me. and when done cranc up that heat lol

Andre'
@andre
6 years ago
29 posts
Lol. Thanks bro* I don't have baby dreads yet-been growing back my hair for 3weeks now. No wax just pure natural bs/ACV .I have African american hair... Thanks for the feed back I'm sure I will need more as I walk this path an journey! One Love

Change~ said:

always rinse with cold if your prone to dandruff. works for me. and when done cranc up that heat lol

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
6 years ago
74 posts

I used to have a scalp problem, both dandruff and soreness and itchyness.
One of the biggest problems I found was that there was constantly some residue left in my hair after washing.
Make sure you rinse your hair out properly every time you wash it and remember it may take a little more effort/time now that you have locks.

Also, one of the causes of dandruff can be fungal. Dry your hair as well as possible and even consider taking a blow dryer to it.It's not just the locks you want to keep from being moist, it's also your scalp.
If all else fails, go to the pharmacy for an anti-fungal shampoo.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
6 years ago
588 posts

my worry when trying to rinse thouroughly is that im undoing previous progress by letting the water down the length of my hair. i havent had an itchy scalp for a few days now. the oils do wonders.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,922 posts

i did a lil observation with water running down the hair

this is what i observed

1st off the surface tension of the water pulled hair into sections the water running down these sections seperated it from the others

then 1 single hair that wasnt in perfect allignment would cause turbulance like a boat through the water or a plane through the air this cay=used eddies which pulled more hair out of iallignment causing loops curls and...knotsnce u got some knots started it really alters the linear foow of the water down the hair increasing this effect




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Heather
@heather
6 years ago
1,294 posts

hey panterra! where did you find the garnier shampoo? i've tried target, walmart and cvs and none of them have that one. i'd like to try it and my son has recently developed a dandruff problem. i don't have dandruff but my scalp does get itchy.

thanks bunches:)

Panterra Caraway said:

Okay, here is what you get...Garnier Frutis Anti-Dandruff Shampoo in the Clear Control Formula. You can probably find it at Target or even the grocery store (and it wasn't too expensive!). They actually guarantee this product will work. I have a healthy scalp but was experiencing itching on 2 small areas that never seemed to really fully go away. I think I have mild psoriasis...but this stuff knocked out all the itch and my scalp has not one flake!!! It is residue free and smells great. After the scalp is under control, you don't have to use it every shampoo either! I think this will help you ALOT. Sometimes, you need to calm the scalp and break the cycle. Once the scalp is neutralized you should be in better shape. Also, be sure that you are using warm enough water with your BS to get it fully dissolved...if not, it can leave traces behind as well :)

 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form