Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Did Dr. Bronner's Undo My One Month Neglect Progress?

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
just so you know, eyeheartchrist does comment on one of his early videos when someone asks how he got his hair to lock up so short he says he used to mess with it. on another video he shows some of the sections he recently t&r'd. i personally don't care what he did to get his amazing dreadlocks but i wanted you to know so you didn't think you were failing somewhere because you couldn't get your hair to lock up at that length.
updated by @heather: 07/22/15 11:22:29AM
calipark
@calipark
13 years ago
54 posts

Correct, he rubbed his palms in circles til it knotted up then separated. He also t&r'd sections. He told me this himself. He doesn't regret it and I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all that I shared this. After all his dreads are incredible!! By far my favorite set next to KnottySleeves and JackRoth's. Who both started with backcombing -- JackRoth's are clean cut and organic and KnottySleeves look totally natural - beautiful.

Pure neglect in the sense of the real definition... Is using no methods other than washing it, using sea salt spray if desired, leaving it alone, and separating when necessary. The end result is very, very unique and it's unlike anything I've ever seen, given you separate properly. When you see them it's like mother nature created them herself. And to strangers it's just fascinating and rare, but it can look much more wild than when using methods.

Now obviously his videos say neglect, and some people on this forum would argue he didn't go neglect. Unfortunately I'd say he didn't go "pure neglect" because it used methods to help it knot, But after the starter method he would touch it minimally, so in my opinion that could classify as neglect. Hell, they look like neglect dreads so why not.

People with very textured hair generally have good luck with that. But there's *no shame* in using a starter method because the end result is dreadlocks. Given, the results may be visually different, but the dreads should still be fully locked in the end. And as they mature it gets more difficult to tell what method (if any) was used.

Keep in mind I know plenty of people who tried "pure neglect" and their hair just wouldn't lock up, even after months and years. They went with a starter method like backcombing or t&r, and once those initial knots were formed, the progress was exponential. None of them regret it. If you have the time and patience for pure neglect, then more power to you and I respect that completely.

"It takes knots to make knots" (SE said that and I won't forget)

I'm personally embarking on pure neglect but that's just because my texture is perfect for dreading at this length, and I think it would be cool to watch the journey unfold! Of course, it took me a year to get to a stage where good progress could be realistically expected. And my hair was seemingly straight until it reached this length, where it really becomes wavy and knots 10 times faster than it used to.

Lastly, I wanna let you know that my first journey was along-side many other dreadie citizens and pure neglect took longer than using starter methods. With some people, it didn't work at all. But what really matters what you're doing it for, whether it be spiritually, aesthetically, or both.

Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts
Ok... I just have to say that I love every one of the contributors on this thread! Thank you all so much!! <3 -Marcus
Mark2
@mark2
13 years ago
1 posts
try boiling your baking then let it cool then soak your head with it then rinse it.
Michael4
@michael4
13 years ago
3 posts

ohhh when I wash my hair I usually notice all that white paste like stuff coming off my head, and was wondering what it was. cool

Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts
Hey!I am wondering something like that now. I am on the 5th week of freeforming and I've been progressing really slow. I did't used to have so "moisturised" hair before, my tendency was kinda little bit to dry. So I guess, Dr Bronner's have made my hair somehow oily and somehow is making the process slower. I think I'm gonna change shampoo for a week to see how it goes. I see the sections, yeah, but I haven't form any single knot yet. :/
CoriElaine
@corielaine
10 years ago
173 posts

Have you tried any DLS soap? Its a little spendy but totally worth it. Its hard for hair to start knotting thats shorter than 6 inches, but dont fret, it'll get there. It just takes time time time. :)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form