dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dandruff and big lumps in some areas

stuart lake
@stuart-lake
14 years ago
7 posts

hi,

had this problem for a while now, i used to have dreads that were sectioned off first and then backcombed in. had them for 2 years and never had any problems with dandruff. not even a flake!

then i cut (regret that now haha!)

10 months ago i had them put back in and the girl who did it sectioned as she went which im not sure i like because it kind of feels like some dreads have stretched my scalp. the dandruff started after a few weeks and was really bad, it did ease up a bit as they grew out but it's still not good

i tried a mix of oil with rosemary, teatree and peppermint but this didnt really do much and just left my roots really greasy. i stopped using KB shampoo bar (although on my previous set i never had any issues with it) and started using head and shoulders and a strong dandruff shampoo. still no joy. now i use Jason Natural Cosmetics Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo or sometimes i use KB bar, both have the same or should i say lack of effect

i was once weekly but think i might try washing every other day? is there anything else i can try?

really want my healthy sccalp back but don't want to cut and lose 10 months progress!!

updated by @stuart-lake: 02/14/15 02:18:50PM
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts

I only use baking soda and acv when I wash, and I don't get dandruff at all. I did notice some flaking when I went to Spokane Washington to see my new nephew, and I think it's because for about a month I only used water, nothing else (I didn't want to trouble them for bs/acv, which they didn't have any of and I didn't bring with me). It was only a few flakes in the front and when I washed with bs/acv again when I got home they were gone. The BS really helps diminish oils and dissolve that extra skin flakes and the acv helps balance the ph of the scalp and hair. I do sometimes follow it with a tea tree oil rinse (one drop of tea tree oil as it is very potent, in a container of water, diluted and cold).

Back in the day when I had waxlocks (regret, it was my first set and I cut them but they were waxed so I am glad I didn't keep em, and that I did these dreads right this time) I used different dread soaps and even Neutrogena T Gel. I still had flakes all the time, except for right after I washed. With BS/ACVI never have flakes, and it took a month of water only before I got noticeable flakes, and just a few.

tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts

In my previous post "they" were my sister and brother in law, should have specified, and about lumps, I used to get lumps (like painful, almost scab like) prior to dreading. I think it is because of all the pulling back I did on my hair to keep it out of my face. Now that my locks kind of keep back out of my eyes I barely ever pull them back or cover them up or tie them or anything, and I don't get this lump/scab/irritation that I got before locks. Do you pull your dreads back?

stuart lake
@stuart-lake
14 years ago
7 posts

hey thanks for the reply

i don't pull them back, i will try this baking soda and acv wash and see how that goes.

how do i do it?

thanks again for your help

by the way i tried t-gel and got no joy :-(

stuart lake
@stuart-lake
14 years ago
7 posts
what does ACV stand for?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts

baking soda teatree rosemary peopemint (only s few drops each)

then acv

danderyuff will go away

use 2-3 times a week

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
how were yoiur dreads done this time

--
stuart lake
@stuart-lake
14 years ago
7 posts

not really sure, she was backcombing them but also using this little hook and feeding the dread through the root?

ok so do i wash first?

so it's baking soda and essential oils in a 2 litre bottle mixed up then pour over my head?

then rise?

or go straight in with the acv? and then rinse after? how much do i dilute the acv by?

tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts

acv is apple cider vinegar.

The way I personally do it is I have an empty bottle that is supposed to be for travel shampoo (you can get them in the miniature stuff section at stores where they sell "airline sized" small toiletries. I don't know if UK has the same flight rules that US does, but here you can't have more than 3.4 oz liquid containers when you fly in your carry on, so most stores now have a section of miniature stuff. The bottle I have holds 3.4 ounces, and I just put about 1 tablespoon of baking soda in the bottle, add COLD water, andshake it up so it all dissolves. I add cold water so that when I am putting it on my head I know where I've put it so I get full coverage of my scalp and dreads. It has a little hole opening like a regular shampoo bottle, and after getting my hair wet with warm water in the shower I start from the middle front to the back in a line on the middle of my head, then do one side, then the other. Because of the cold I know which dreads I've covered and which I haven't. Once it's all on there I let it sit for a bit without rinsing and I rinse out the shampoo bottle and put in about 1/4 of the bottle of apple cider vinegar. Again I mix it with cold water and shake it up. (be sure to rinse the bottle in between so no BS reacts to ACV). I set it aside in the tub and massage my BS hair and scalp for a bit then rinse it fully under the now warm shower water. Once fully rinsed I do the same thing I did with BS to my scalp but with the ACV solution. Some people don't like the smell of vinegarbut diluted it really isn't noticable. I also let the acv sort of soak in like I do with the BS and while I'm waiting I prepare tea tree oil solution if I'm going to do it this wash (I wash with bs/acv once a week and follow with tea tree oil once a month). Rinse the bottle first (from the acv that was just in it) and put just 1 drop of tea tree oil (it is quite strong, so one drop is plenty). Fill the rest of the bottle with water and shake to mix. I set it aside and massage my head again before rinsing the ACV out (I do the massages because 1, it feels good and gets the circulation in my head going, most hair people recommend massaging your scalp when shampooing, so I treat this as the same, and 2 because it helps the dreads to tangle up, I think. Some people if you scrub too much or too early (before dreads are formed) you might pull some tangles out, but if you check my profile and pics you'll see I am not worried about losing anything LOL. I rinse out the vinegar mixture from my hair, and follow with the tea tree oil if I'm doing it that shower, and let that sit while I wash the rest of myself. Once I'm done washing I do a final rinse of my hair (and everything else of course) and I'm done.

I feel that using bs/acv is why my hair dreaded so fast. when my hair was still tangling and my dreads were still babies I just would do a bucket style pour and rinse, like most people do, but I was using far more bs/acv for that concoction, and I prefer this method because I know I get full coverage even on the back dreads whick with the bucket style pour I felt weren't getting as clean. Plus I love massaging my hair, and I can feel each dread when I do this to make sure I've removed all beads (sometimes I miss one and find it mid shower).

This is just my method, everyone does it differently. Just rememeber to rinse between each solution and to do a final rinse: BS can be drying, ACV balances that, and tea tree oil is very strong and if you use too much (believe me one drop is potent enough) then you may get over drying from tea tree oil (I never havebut some people are more sensetive to tto than others)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts

oh god she interlocked u she screwed you badly u need to undo what she did or theres a good chance u will lose the dreads

thats the worse thing that can be done thats why your scalps all fucked up you trusted a salon and like all salonds they screwed u

i would undo it all and go natural or undo it all and twist and rip but u gotta undo the interlocking before u cant undo it

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form