Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

soap free and clean as can be

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
i was commenting to someone about using baking soda when i realized somethingi have not used soap on my body in..umm..2 years? no maybe a year a long long timenow let me explain a lil historymy scalp used to be a disasterit bled all the time oozing and comming off in chunksthat was caused by a hospitol diagnosing dandruff (combined with a reaction to anribiotics known as redman syndrome that causes extreme itchiness) as lice they forced me to undergo daily lice treatments with the chems that say not to use more then every 10 days the last time they left it on for 4 hours not the 15 minutes recomendedmy entire scalp was a bloody mess for years afteralso my skin was dry flaky itchy prone to scabs that took long times to heal due to the fragile drynessalso calouses would become hard and cracked and painmfuli had norticed my scalp since using the baking soda acv has been healthier then it was in ..18 years at a guessnow i have nearly zero issues just a lil flakiness if i go too long without washing but none of the severe issuesbut the newest revelation which i hadnt even noticed untill i was writting that comment was that my skin since giving up soaps is no longer dry itchy flakey and no scabs calouses or issues at all all my skins healthier then it ever was and all i did was stop using soapso i now believe that most soaps have additives like conditioners and vitamins because they are so harsh on the skina pure soap or detergent without added conditioners probably would be really harsh and dfammagingi cant say itsa all the bs/acv since i do add a good bit of oils that are good for the dandruff and stuff all i do know is im happy with the resultsno more soap for me and my skin and scalp in the best shape its been in since i was a teen

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 03:27:10AM
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
I had a lovely customer in her 60's that I'd pierced a couple of times, and she had the best complexion I'd ever seen, even skintone, hardly a wrinkle on her. I asked her what her secret was, and she said she NEVER used soap. Just cool water and moisturizer. At this point my skin was looking better than it had when I'd been playing with makeup in my teens, but still not as nice as pre-makeup phase. I stopped using soap, organic or otherwise, and followed the lady's advice. Presto. All my sensitive skin issues vanished :D

I think besides the harshness of soap, when we over-clean our bodies and hair, we strip away the oils that are necessary which our bodies produces naturally, either leaving our skin dry or causing overproduction of oils from skin that is overcompensating.

On my face and body I sometimes use extra virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer, and if I need a bit of exfoliating some used coffee grounds rubbed VERY gently on the skin do the trick for me (as strange as that sounds!) :D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
ve5ry interesting and your right overcleanning does cause alotta problemsi never thought of cofeee hahabut makes senseoh rawsom pointed out that the body splash may have helped too i do spray 2 sprays into the baking soda every other or every 3rd time but im not sure ..it probably sdid help somewhat since its amazing for skin but i dont think i used it enough to matter this much but could be wrong

--
charles hubert
@charles-hubert
14 years ago
19 posts
wait im not sure to get it are u washing with bs on the whole body or wut ?
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
interesting story, i have quite sensitive skin as well.. yes soap is harsh... and drying...what do u use instead of soap, baking soda too on the body or what??
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
Brown sugar! Great idea! Thank you moonheart! I myself still need to use a super mild shampoo for my hair, I'm trying to slowly train my scalp to being washed less frequently so that it gradually stops overproducing oils. I tried the baking soda rinse maybe twice, both times my scalp and neck and shoulders became bright red and blotchy and stinging, and I didn't even use a whole lot of baking soda.
On my body I use water as much as possible, only using mild organic soap when and where necessary (underarms, etc) but not frequently. I find a nice organic moisturizer and a clean cloth does the trick better than soap for most of my body.
charles hubert
@charles-hubert
14 years ago
19 posts
so what kind of oil ur using to clean up that sounds like a good thing to try thx in advance
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
jojoba would be healthiest i wouldnt use castorand well when i wash my dreadsi use over 2 gallons 1 gallo9n i pour over the other is like a basin i put the length of the dreads in to soakthen i rince out the 1st pitcher 3 or 4 times to get the bs out b4 adding the acvso when i rince it i pour over my bodythen i take the basin that my dreads are soaking in and pour that all over my head and bodythen rinse and do the same with acv

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
castor oils a biohazard not recomended to be washed down drains even in small doses it kills fish

K. Moonheart said:
I personally used a mix of mostly olive oil, castor oil, some jojoba and a little tea tree now and then. but not too much tea tree or else my skin would get irritated!

heres an article i found talking about cleaning and the body that you all might enjoy

http://www.ecohearth.com/eco-blogs/clean-and-green-everyday/987-my-...

charles hubert said:
so what kind of oil ur using to clean up that sounds like a good thing to try thx in advance

--
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
14 years ago
59 posts
Hmm, now I have the opposite problem...I have never experienced dry or flaky skin or chapped lips and there ain't no soap on this planet that ever dries me out cos I am about the greasiest person in the world!On the upside at 26 I still get ID'd for booze and I haven't got any wrinkles :)...... on the downside, only a few hours after a shower I feel dead greasy and I can't really go for more than a couple of days without washin my hair. I have been trying to cut it down since dreading, but it doesn't seem to be responding..... I can't REALLY put it down to oil over compensation either on my face and body, cos I'm not really a clean freak and I only tend to really use water and scrubbing on my body and face.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form