Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Oily Roots and smelly dreads

Kat
@kat
14 years ago
10 posts
I have a really oil scalp and I'm not really sure what to do about it, its making my dreads have a dirty unwashed grease smell which is gross and they get really itchy.I currently wash them 3 times a week once a week with tea tree oil shampoo, once a week with an all natural anti dandruff shampoo and then once a week with an all natural handmade rosemary shampoo bar which i follow with a bi carb soda rinse.Still i have a gross oily scalp and itchy head but the worse thing is the smell! It smells clean for a day after i wash them then it stinks again I never had this before dreads I washed my hair once a week now I'm washing it more and yuck stinky gross slimey dread head. What can i do?
updated by @kat: 01/13/15 08:44:59PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
washing more makes em oilier skip the shampoos use the baking soda acv once or twice a week and spray the scalp with thyme tea and leave on betweendid u use wax that might have made things worsealso..wot to wash cold to rince that way u open and clean pores then close em back up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kat
@kat
14 years ago
10 posts
Ok skipping the shampoo i can do and trying the acv but i have no idea where i would get thyme tea from in Australia any recommendations as to where to purchase it would be very helpful what is it exactly?No i never used any wax or other harmful products in my hair the only thing i have used is a little ground sea salt or bi carb on my ends to tighten them up in to blunt tips as these are much neater and my work said dreads where fine as long as i kept them neat-ish and clean.All the shampoos/soaps i use do have some form of anti dandruff ingredients so maybe my scalp is just to moisturized? soaringeagle said:
washing more makes em oilier skip the shampoos use the baking soda acv once or twice a week and spray the scalp with thyme tea and leave on between
did u use wax that might have made things worse
also..wot to wash cold to rince that way u open and clean pores then close em back up
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea plus soaps strip oils so u produce morethyme is a common herb or spice used in cooking but if u buy small spice containers its expensive if u buy large ammounts of the loose herb its cheapany herb store health food store u can get it in bulk online and brew your own teasi dunno if ot grows there or not but u can grow your own too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kat
@kat
14 years ago
10 posts
So all thyme tea is, is a tea made from the herb? I can make that i have heaps of it growing in my garden thanks heaps for your help. It was a wash day today so I followed your advice and just used bs and acv I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.Should i dry the herb before making the thyme tea with it? soaringeagle said:
yea plus soaps strip oils so u produce more
thyme is a common herb or spice used in cooking but if u buy small spice containers its expensive if u buy large ammounts of the loose herb its cheap
any herb store health food store u can get it in bulk online and brew your own teas
i dunno if ot grows there or not but u can grow your own too
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Generally when you boil vegetation it looses all it's nutritional value, thus you have to conclude that the good shit from the plant ends up in the water, so I wouldn't say you have to dry them first.I just throw em in a pot of boiling water and wait a few minutes till the water is dark, the darker the water, the stronger the tea. I make mine with thyme and rosemary then add about 1 drop of tea tree oil per cup of tea.
Kat
@kat
14 years ago
10 posts
Might try it this way just tried making a straight thyme tea and I wasn't very keen on the smell, but used it anyways.Dreads still had the gross oily smell after 2 days but there not so itchy so I'm trying to hold off on doing another rinse or wash so soon. In the mean time I made up a hair perfume tea I'm going to call it with some margarine oil + cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, vanilla beans and a little thyme it smells yummy and my scalp feels really good now too..I smell like chai tea with a hint of citrus. Alden said:
Generally when you boil vegetation it looses all it's nutritional value, thus you have to conclude that the good shit from the plant ends up in the water, so I wouldn't say you have to dry them first.

I just throw em in a pot of boiling water and wait a few minutes till the water is dark, the darker the water, the stronger the tea. I make mine with thyme and rosemary then add about 1 drop of tea tree oil per cup of tea.
Kat
@kat
14 years ago
10 posts
My hair should really be well adjusted to not being washed very often as before I had dreads I only washed it once a week this sounds gross but I had really curly hair and would get really dry if I washed it more not to mention uncontrollable and frizzy I never had this oily problem before I put my dreads in.I really like the sound of your bs soak and wash routine I'll give it a shot if the acv and bs thing doesn't work for me.I don't know if this is of any importance, perhaps I should have mentioned it earlier but its not effecting how fast my dreads are tightening because the oil is only on my scalp it never seems to move past the loose hair at the roots its like it all just builds up on my scalp and can't go anywhere so stays there feeling disgusting.I work in a hot kitchen for 12 hours a day with a hat on and my dreads pulled up on top of my head could this be causing the problem? Does anyone else work in a kitchen maybe there just absorbing the smells from the kitchen? Because they really smell and I don't think an oily scalp alone could make them smell this bad!Sorry this seems like a very negative post I love my dreads but smelly hair isn't good I don't want to be a smelly dread person I want to improve the dreadhead image not confirm the haters beliefs that we are stinky dirty people.
Kat
@kat
14 years ago
10 posts
I'm sure in time I'll work something out this week they haven't been to bad smell wise and oil wise so I think I'll keep going with the acv and bs wash and see if they keep improving :D thanks everyone for all your advice and help theres one thing I have to say for the acv and bs they feel like they have tighten a lot this week and they seem to have shrunk heaps this week I'll post new pictures tomorrow because there at least an inch shorter now then they are in my current picture
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form