Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Lil dandruff question.

pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
So I have dandruff...duh..Most of us do. And I really don't care about it, sometimes when I wash and I don't have any, other times it seems I have a small amount.I don't care about getting rid of it, my question is, is dandruff bad in any way?I'm sure I could google it, but I figured I'd ask my dreadie family first.If I have some dandruff, and I'm in no way concerned, should that be cause for concern? haha.Will it make my dreads stink? Bad for my scalp? Thoughts?(My dandruff doesn't appear to be a build up from shampoo or anything.Dreads and scalp are clean.)
updated by @pixie: 02/14/15 07:31:47AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wekll it can get bad and become a dermatitis like thing but its fine dandruffs not deadly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
Well that's good. I feel death via dandruff would be a lame way to go..
Emily
@emily
14 years ago
203 posts
haha yes that would be lame!! i have the same situation and i dont think its a big deal, i just notice it if i havent washed in a while.
chemowasabi
@chemowasabi
14 years ago
20 posts
I used to have dandruff in the winter when I was using DHHQ shampoo and the air was dry, but not anymore.What are you using to wash with ?
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
Sometimes I use Dr Bronners, sometimes the baking soda and acv rinse. chemowasabi said:
I used to have dandruff in the winter when I was using DHHQ shampoo and the air was dry, but not anymore.

What are you using to wash with ?
chemowasabi
@chemowasabi
14 years ago
20 posts
interesting fact, found a bottle of DHHQ shampoo and it contains SLS.The reason SLS gave us dandruff is because it is highly effective at removing oil, and therefore left us with a dry scalp.Also, there was a thread about this already and SLS does not cause cancer. It is only a rumor. Melanie Leontine said:
All of my dandruff issues disappeared when I stopped using products with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS ) in them. SLS is a cancer causing agent that will destroy dreadlocks over time. It is in most shampoo's, soaps, detergents etc.
chemowasabi
@chemowasabi
14 years ago
20 posts
If you're going to copypaste from somewhere, cite your references. If you do a search on your second and third sentences the exact text is from http://www.t3db.org/toxins/T3D3630 . The reference listed for that section of text is from "W625 - Organic Natural Health (1998). Cancer Causing Toxic Chemical Ingredients in Cosmetic and Skin Care Products. []" . No url to this source is provided and the information gathered from it is not correct, as shown in the first item below.1. "One dubious claim often made by the dozens of anti-SLS websites is that sodium lauryl sulfate is carcinogenic because it produces nitrosamines when it reacts with formaldehyde. Since neither compound contains a nitrogen atom, however, that is chemically impossible." ( http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07/common_ecomyth_sls.php )2. Industrial and lab chemicals are of very high purity. Even Chemicals that are harmless in low concentrations become poisonous to the body at these levels and need to be handled with care. SLS is not special.-SLS is an irritant and should not be inhaled. Thus respiratory protection is needed.-The official MSDS (material safety data sheet) lists splash goggles, lab coat, dust respirator, and gloves to be used. For protection in case of large spills, the MSDS lists splash goggles, full suit, dust respirator, boots, gloves, and self-contained breathing apparatus. (I'd say this is equivalent to a 'biohazard suit') [Section 8 http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Sodium_lauryl_sulfate-9925002 ]-Large spills are not a commonplace and biohazard suits are not needed for normal handling.-The amount of SLS in shampoo is nowhere near the amount encountered in such workplaces and is not indicative of its danger in home use. Saying "those who work with SLS's must wear bio-hazard suits" is scary but irrelevant.But before this keeps going back and forth, this needs to be moved to the other thread. This is getting far off topic. Melanie Leontine said:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a nitrosating agent. Once in the body, nitrosamines are activated by cytochrome P-450 enzymes. They are then believed to induce their carcinogenic effects by forming DNA adducts at the N- and O-atoms. Anything carcinogenic has the potential to produce cancer cells. SLS is listed as a poison and those who work with SLS's must wear bio-hazard suits. This doesn't sound like something I want to run into my scalp.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Would you two freaking stop with the SLS/SLES debate? It's getting old. Either you use it or you don't. Forget your scientific crap and your internet searches, just keep it to yourselves alright? End. Of. Discussion. If we want anymore SLS or SLES mess out of either of you, we'll make another thread just for it. Until then, shush.To the OP, I agree, death by dandruff isn't something I'd like to be remembered by lol. I still haven't found what's really helping mine, and what's making the flakies worse... sometimes things help that didn't before, and sometimes they only seem to make it worse.... oh well, c'est la vie!
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
Alrighty then. For those who seemed to reply to my post without reading it, I just wanted to know if dandruff could cause damage to my dreads and if I should be worried about it.Because dandruff doesn't bother me. I don't use products containing SLS. And really what I use is irrelevant to my question.Which let me state again for the record. "I don't care about getting rid of it, my question is, is dandruff bad in any way?"Which SE has already answered, didn't know if anyone else had any input..Like o pixie, I was never worried about dandruff until....!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form