Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question on Washing Frequency and Using Deep Clean

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Hi, I wasn't really sure what section this post belongs under, so please let me know if I should move it. I had two questions, since it is in the warmer months I have been washing my 3-year-old dreads roughly every other day to every 2-3 days, making sure they are fully dry before washing them again (so roughly 3 times a week) I was wondering if this was too many washes for hair that is by some timelines mature? My second question is more about investigating a claim said by a youtuber that I watch. The link to the video is included in this post:

In this video, he mentions that he has stopped using conventional dread shampoo and has just been using the deep clean soak every couple of weeks as a method for washing them...I was wondering if that was every healthy for dreads? (since they should be washed at least once a week)...He also mentions that he has become less frequent with his maintenance sessions, but I wasn't about to open up that discussion in his video comments...I know I was told on here that water only washing wasn't really good for dreads, but is what this person is doing, by only using the deep cleanse every couple of weeks to clean their dreads actually any better? (I mean they only wash their dreads when they do the soaks, so yeah....)

updated by @ravens-light: 08/08/16 07:43:54AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

after using only the deep cleanse a couple years, my hair was extremely extrreemely weak and damaged

i absolutely do not (anymore i did till finding out how bad it was) recomend only using the deep cleanse, using  it often, using it exclusively or using it long term

in fact dreadlockshampoo.com has a new charcoal based deep cleanse (bamboo charcoal) thats way superior and safer (i had a germaphobe friend claiming that my dreads can't be clean, even right out of the shower so after using it only near my scalp i sucked the water out of the dread 3/4 of the way down and it tasted perfectly filtered and clean i drank it...and i do not drink the tap water here! (ps, i'm not sure its on the site yet you might have to message her to get it)

but yea i have not used the baking soda in a few years now and my dreads are 1000 times stronger then when i was using it

i had no idea at 1st that it was that weakening my hair so badly

so yes he should wash more and no he should not use only that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/14/16 05:33:29PM
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

So basically it would be a wise idea for me to stop using the baking soda/ACV deep cleans on a monthly basis?

updated by @ravens-light: 07/15/16 09:19:22AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

i would, monthly might be ok for a few years but after seeing numerous people have severe weakening i really no longer recommend using it at all

the charcoal shampoo does a better job without being so harsh it turns your skin into a paste

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Ok, so if monthly would only end up being ok for a few years (which I have been doing that soak since they were about 2 years old.... I think), you're right it may be wise to stop using it. I just wish I had more access to safer shampoos that were less expensive than the ones I've been finding. I still have most of a large bottle of Dr. Bronners, so I plan to use that up, with proper dilution, after I am out of other shampoos. ...as for finding out more about the charcoal soap, I assume I just send the shop an email, since they don't have it on their page yet?

updated by @ravens-light: 07/15/16 09:34:42AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

the dreadlockshampoo.com ones are big bars if you use a soap saver so they don't melt from being damp they last a real long time

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

I understand they're quite big, I just currently can't really justify spending $13 on soap at this exact point in time, so I'm trying to find  something that is good for the hair but less expensive at the moment.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

13 isn't much you really won't find anything worth using any cheaper then that bronners is 15 as an example

anything cheaper then 13 is going to be toxic crap really bad for dreads

you could find 13 dollars walking 10 blocks in any city

some people can get 600 dollars in an hour panhandling

point is it isn't hardtop get 13 bucks for shampoo especially if its just once every few months

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form