Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Moisture help?

Hannah Wilson
@hannah-wilson
10 years ago
10 posts
Hey eveyone I hope you are enjoying your week and some warmer weather. I have a small problem, my dreads and my scalp are feeling too dry. I've been using jojoba oil, and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I also need a good shampoo method, as I have grown out of ACV/BS washes. Any help would be nice.
updated by @hannah-wilson: 01/13/15 10:02:45PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars u should nt need much else but the jojobas fine if u do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
DRS
@drs
10 years ago
47 posts

dreadlockshampoo.com is definitely great.

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

I agree with Soaring Eagle. It probably isn't just that your dreads are dry, as much as it is "fried" from having the cuticles subjected to constant opening & closing from the Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. I have tried all the different shampoos out there, Vicki's shampoos are easily the best out there. The Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar rinse is good for a very deep clean, but I wouldn't use it as a weekly wash. I find that even with the ACV rinse, the alkaline of the Baking Soda opens the cuticle & just frazzles the hair too much if it is used often. I still use it but only once a month, in your case it might be better to just stay off the Baking Soda completely until your hair heals.

It would be easier to advise you if we had some current pictures, but in general if you feel your hair is too dry then stop using the sea salt spray and any products with sea salt. Like Soaring Eagle advised look at the bars not the liquid as they have sea salt. The reason most have problems with sea salt is they use way too much in their mixtures and are therefore way too concentrated instead of using a more reasonable 3-4% salinity like that of the ocean. Compound that with constant Baking Soda washes I can easily understand why your hair isn't feeling good and strong.

I would continue the ACV rinses to slowly continue to close the cuticle & heal the hair first instead of oil. The reason being that in my personal experience with my young immature dreads i found that oil is conditioning. Unless your dreads are fully mature directly using oil to condition could lead to unraveling and unknotting of your hair. In between wash days try a making an acidic citrus tea to add to your Jojoba oil. A Lemon Balm or Lemon Grass tea mixed with your oil in a spritzer bottle should do it. If this doesn't work as a last resort I would look at experimenting with light amounts Coconut oil. Our brethren of African descent use it on their mature dreads though their hair tends to be very dry & kinky. I would test it on only one dread and see how it responds.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form