Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Power Of Chia Seeds

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

I think we can all recall the "Chi Chi Chi CHIA!" pets from way back when. These seeds have a much more powerful use than just fast growing fuzzy clay "pets". In the same way these seeds will help your body grow.

Long ago the Aztecs, correct me if I am wrong on the culture, used chia seeds and water when going into battle to keep hydrated. This allowed them much more endurance on the battle field. When you get chia seeds wet in water they absorb the water and form a gelatinous coating around each seed. This slows the absorption rate of water within the body allowing your body to better retain the water for proper use and hydration. By using a few tabled spoons of chia in a bottle of water a day, you get pretty much a days worth of protein in on simple easy drink!

I have been doing this for a couple months and my hair has been growing in more thick and healthy, on top of the healthy diet switch I made last year which has taken care of the dandruff issue I had always had my entire life. My girlfriend has noticed her hair growing faster, her fingernails finally for the first time in her life being stronger and more thick, and our friends receding hairline has come back to normal enough that his wife noticed and pointed it out.

Chia Seeds.

You can find them at a health foods store.

updated by @castaway-j: 02/14/15 02:08:34PM
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Thank you so much for this info! :D I see chia seeds all the time at my organic foodstore and was kind of curious about them, but never really thought much of them. I will have to buy some :D.

Tia
@tia
11 years ago
24 posts

MMmmm Chia seeds are the best! I didn't really like them in my smoothy, so I have Chia Fresca instead during my workout. 2 TBSP Chia Seeds, lemon or lime juice, Big container of water and stevia to taste. Add ice, shake it up, give it 5 minutes, and NOM NOM NOM!!!! However, Castaway, I question the protein amoun. I'm showing one ounce of chia seeds have about 4 grams of protein. It's a good amount(and it's a complete protein-AWESOME!), but not as much as we need(although, we get protein from pretty much everything).

And yeah, all through my school years, I was called "Ti Ti Ti Tia!" or "Tia Pet" Sad but true LOL

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Chia is an excellent source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.

peace

Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

thank you so so much for sharing this information. I've been searching for an alternative way for hair growth, ive been using biotin and havent noticed much of a difference but maybe if i buy some chia seeds and keep the routine going with the biotin i shall see results.... also, it's always good to have your protein levels high especially without having to eat a lot of meat. :)

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

The hair growth Castaway mentioned is likely to do with his healthy diet rather than just the chia, it all helps, but I think a healthy body, which includes good hair growth and healthy nails etc, comes back to a healthy balanced diet. I'm vegetarian, so I advocate that diet.

peace

Nicole Schaefer said:

thank you so so much for sharing this information. I've been searching for an alternative way for hair growth, ive been using biotin and havent noticed much of a difference but maybe if i buy some chia seeds and keep the routine going with the biotin i shall see results.... also, it's always good to have your protein levels high especially without having to eat a lot of meat. :)

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I see. Well, not well known to me, hehehe, thanks for that. :)

Heidi said:

Actually, it's well known that omega 3 and omega 6 promote healthy hair growth. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega6-fatty-acids

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Since the subject of protein was brought up, just for anyone who doesn't know and is looking for a good plant based source of protein,spirulina is wonderful. It also is a good source of Iron and many other nutrients..Much love and peace to you all.

Tia said:

MMmmm Chia seeds are the best! I didn't really like them in my smoothy, so I have Chia Fresca instead during my workout. 2 TBSP Chia Seeds, lemon or lime juice, Big container of water and stevia to taste. Add ice, shake it up, give it 5 minutes, and NOM NOM NOM!!!! However, Castaway, I question the protein amoun. I'm showing one ounce of chia seeds have about 4 grams of protein. It's a good amount(and it's a complete protein-AWESOME!), but not as much as we need(although, we get protein from pretty much everything).

And yeah, all through my school years, I was called "Ti Ti Ti Tia!" or "Tia Pet" Sad but true LOL

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Hmm.. Not really lol, I'm still learning a bit about the different brands myself. :D.. I did buy a bottle of organic spirulina capsules.. I would say, just try and see if you can find an organic spirulina, and if you can, I would personally get it in the powdered form over the pills/capsules(either you could just add it to water and drink it or make a smoothie and throw it in there lol)... You can also buy it in its actual form and eat it, but I haven't come across many places that sell fresh spirulina thus far lol. Much love and peace to you! :D

Cozmo G
@cozmo-g
11 years ago
4 posts

Glad to see more people on the chia train! These little wonders have been a part of my diet for years now and I recently added hemp seeds to the mix as well. Chia is great to add to smoothies as someone said, but I used to just chuck a tablespoon of 'em in my mouth and chase it with veggie juice! I like switching up between chia and hemp, because hemp actually tastes like nuts when you eat them.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the recipes!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form