Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A new TV series with the intention to dispel the myths and stereotypes around people with dreadlocks

Mandi Gorenstein
@mandi-gorenstein
10 years ago
2 posts

I'm in the early stages of conducting research and I'd love to hear from members of this community about what stories and or who you would like to see in a new non-fiction series about dreadlocks. The intention is to create an entertaining series that changes the way the average viewer "views" someone with dreadlocks. Why is this more than a hairstyle? What ideologies and beliefs are attached the look? Ideally, I would love to connect with a wide range of people that have interesting jobs and lives that challenge stereotypes. Families with dreadlocks or groups of friends that run businesses together would be great. I'm open to hearing from everyone that is interested in talking to me! With your help, I'm in a position to dispel misconceptions and create a new compelling and entertaining series about fascinating individuals with awesome hair. Feel free to e-mail me directly at MGorentein@eastern.tv Or comment on this thread. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best,

Mandi

updated by @mandi-gorenstein: 02/03/18 04:14:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i worked in an it office it was part of the americorps vista program

at the time www.libertynet.com (or was it .org?) (not sure it even still exists) was a non profit web hosting company that hosted virtually all the non profit groups in the greater Philadelphia region. this included polititians (city state congress and senate) finanial institutions (credit unionns) schools and universities, church and religios orgs, small non profits and multi million multi natiional ones like red cross. we were also partnered with whyy the local pbs public television station that provided our members low cost internet access

my job was managing 200+ volunteer web designers that designed all the websites free of charge

as part of my duties i had meetings almost daily with the heads or reps of each of these non profits, including congressmen the mayor and more.

the day i applied for the job i tucked my dreads into a tam and my beard dreads i wore inside my shirt out of sight, but the 1st day on the job i decided i didnt want to do that anymore so off came the tam and my dreads (all natural) spilled out to the floor, just as the president of thecompany walked by..stopped dead in his tracks and just said "wow"

out of the hundreds of meetings i had during this time only about 5 or 6 ever said anything about my dreads and all were positive comments like "i love your hair'

in the last week of the year long vista service it came time for the company to put out new promotional materials like posters, mugs tote bags and calanders.

when the photographer came to take the photos that would be photoshoped to create the company image for these promos, my photo was featured front center and above all the rest and became a permenant part of the companies image

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Golden Tribe
@golden-tribe
10 years ago
2 posts

Though i like the idea of a tv series on dreadlocks in particular i think that might be over kill. i think just one to couple episodes or a movie will suffice.

I do hope the series does cover history, cultural, spiritual aspect of dreadlocks and or the power of hair in general for a broader perspective. it would be nice to have it more of an education series with an entertaining aspect of peoples' story. bottom line i hope the series intention neither promotes nor demote dreadlocks and just share experiences and educate the viewers to allow them to make up there own decision and encourage there own research and overall make up there own mind about this topic (or any issues for that matter).

Brian Corbin
@brian-corbin
10 years ago
1 posts

I would like for this show to really show how people with dreadlocks aren't freaks or anyone to be scared of or turn your nose to. I am a dad that has to go into these schools around where I live and they look at me like I'm so much different.watch that guy he looks dangerous.Thank god I am different and don't look like every joe shmoe on the street. This is spiritual for me, I don't see anyone putting down John the Baptist for having dreadlocks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

ok ideas

sincfe this will be a series (hopefully)

an episode all about the many jobs people with dreads have and the reasons why employers shouldnt try to discourage it

an episode about the misconceptioms in how they are started and cared for

an episode about dreads in the family and dispeelling the common concerns parents may have when a child decides they want to dread

one about the common stereotypes like being dirty smelling lice infested drug use etc

an episode about the religios and spiritual nature of dreads

one about the history and cultural significance including the common misconception that they are a "black thing" only (but including tyhe rich african cultural heritage)

and ofcourse 1 revolving around the varios methods and maintenances commonly usedd and the drawbacks of the more harmful ones

ok i want to hear more ideas!

--
Golden Tribe
@golden-tribe
10 years ago
2 posts

I agree with soaring eagle in particular on how one "gets his or her dreads". there seems to be a lot on misconception in where/when and how they are formed and if its even possible pending in ones hair type (ok i'll say it race).

one episode in particular i would like to go in-depth of any science and or research behind dreadlocks (or long hair in general) that even i'm not aware of. some research of biblical text i read that may want further research to verify there merits on top of my head extra sensory sensitivity increases, psychic ability, strength from hair, holding nutrients and so forth.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

ah yes touching on the metaphysical aspects is an episode in itself so is the whole biblical angle

(well maybe it shouldnt be strickly bibical but explore all the religions

wich would take a good bit of research

im uber excited about this

--
Laura3
@laura3
10 years ago
1 posts

Hello Mandi,

I was trying to send you an email, but it is not working. I guess it is not correct. Can you pls confirm? Dont want to post my message here, cause it is a very long rant;)

Thanks

Mandi Gorenstein
@mandi-gorenstein
10 years ago
2 posts

Hi Laura,

My e-mail is MGorenstein@eastern.tv - looking forward to hearing your rant.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

maybe could do an episode on how it affects teens when they arent alowed a sence of identity, individuality and a personal style and are forced to conform

--
 / 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form