Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Support and Reassurance

Mike P
@mike-p
12 years ago
5 posts

SO.... I just dreaded up like two days ago (so it may be too early to be freakin out), but I have control issues, so this is very much a challenge... but hey, at least I'm tryin!

My friend did a twist and rip to start me off, with much more twisting than knotting... so far so good, I think they are lookin good and theyve already started to lay much flatter... I showered yesterday and washed em with BC/sea salt after I had went for a run

just lookin for insight into the process... understanding helps me stay calm...... they loosened up quite a bit (which i know is normal), but I am worried about loosing my sections... right now, each dread looks as if two locks of hair just sort of coil around each other, like two pieces just twist... I have curly hair as it is (you can probably see the dreads are curly), so I am worried that, since this is what my hair does anyway, that they won't combine and dread

while I am not totally freakin out, and have supportive roommates to keep me goin (shout out to them for helpin me work the damn camera on the pictures), none of us know what the hell to expect or what we are talking about...

any tips/advice/reassurances?

attached some pictures just to give a sense of whats goin on up there

Mike

updated by @mike-p: 01/13/15 09:39:41PM
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Hey Mike, things are looking just like they should. To keep them from just combining and going crazy, after every wash just kind of finger thru your hair and make sure the sections aren't combining. TnR doesn't create dreads, it helps map out the sections you want. The very best thing to do is to leave them alone, separated when needed and was as needed. Don't re-TnR them if they fall out, just let them be.

One question for you...did you rinse the sea salt out after a while? You don't want to leave it in for more than 2 hours. It can dry your scalp brutally causing horrible itching, and it can make you're hair very very dry and brittle causing breakage.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

Control issues and dreads clash. Dreads are about patience and giving up control. I know that it isscarytrying something new but, relax. Your hair knows how to dread. It will be just fine. In the next few months...your hair is going to go crazy. Lumps, bumps zigzags andsquiggleswill form. Which is exactly what you want. All you have to worry about is keeping the sectionsseparatedso that they will not form one giant dread and washing your hair at least once a week. Remember....just relax. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

seems like he did 2 strand twu-ists not twist n rip wich should be 15 -20 times more knotting then twisting

but it dont matter really (most times it would since twisting dont work unless u have afro type hair) the thing is u got awesome hair for going natural and it will dread no matter what u do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mike P
@mike-p
12 years ago
5 posts

Yeah, I rinsed it out after I used it, didn't leave it in my hair or anything!

OK haha, will do my best here

Mons said:

Hey Mike, things are looking just like they should. To keep them from just combining and going crazy, after every wash just kind of finger thru your hair and make sure the sections aren't combining. TnR doesn't create dreads, it helps map out the sections you want. The very best thing to do is to leave them alone, separated when needed and was as needed. Don't re-TnR them if they fall out, just let them be.

One question for you...did you rinse the sea salt out after a while? You don't want to leave it in for more than 2 hours. It can dry your scalp brutally causing horrible itching, and it can make you're hair very very dry and brittle causing breakage.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form