Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The beauty of natural Dreadlocks, and support for any fellow early dreadies!

Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

Glad to hear it Snick! Remember everyone has a "day 1". I'm just over 3 months in and my locks are really starting to take off now. It feels like no time at all!

updated by @ginger-rasta: 07/23/15 07:40:38AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

haha nice!

soaring eagle said:

day 8076 for me

i am freeeeee

Shinako Agogo
@shinako-agogo
12 years ago
7 posts

What really worried me is that my hair is thick, wavy, and it has always been rebellious. It would stick up and out; it was everywhere. On top of that we're going through a time where, Hell, everything in my house is broken. We've recently bombed the house several times for fleas, and I don't know...it just really felt like I was carrying around this funk like I'm some kind of nasty person. Someone that can't provide for their daughter, someone people are going to look at like some kind of...scallawag /:-p I tried twisting and ripping my hair. I started crocheting it to get it to conform. I had this one that was behind my right ear that put up a fight. No matter what I did it would come loose and form loops. It was all over the place. That dread broke me. Then I began to think about everything. I thought about how I was trying to be manipulative. I was thinking about how I was allowing the perceptions of others, real or imagined, to make me try to exert control. It's actually funny how being aware of how little control I had made me try to manipulate the smallest, simplest things. Hell, I tried to save a dragonfly from a spider's web the other day and killed them both in the process. I just had to pay attention to the destruction I was causing by trying to 'perfect' the world around me. I wasn't trusting myself, life, nature. I wasn't trusting the natural flow of the world right down to the tiniest things :-/ Something as simple as a couple of arthropods caught up in the circle of life or lol the hairs on my head have actually taught me a big lesson. A spider wants to eat a dragon fly. Whatever. I can't impose myself on the cycle of life. A few hairs (okay...maybe all of them) want to stick out and loop and zigzag--whatever. They'll work they're own thing out, too. That's perfection, man.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wow so well said

u know how eating disorders are mostly about control they tend to have very controlled (by others expectations) lives

pressures to be perfect and yea fear of judgment based on weight/size so they control the 1 thing they can..what they eat

in a way what your describing is a hair disorder your hairs wanted to dread all its life now that your letting it dread your trying to micro manage how it dreads telling each hair where you think it belongs

dreading has actually successfully been used as a treatment for eating disorders cause it teaches u to just let go..accept and..not care about the pressures to be perfect

in short it allows happiness despite the overwhelming pressures that cause misery

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shinako Agogo
@shinako-agogo
12 years ago
7 posts

We had a few friends come over this past weekend and we got into a conversation about perceptions and how they change from culture to culture and why certain things just don't matter. It actually started with the idea of how American defines mental illness, then if you were to take these definitions and try to apply them to cultures where they have a bit more freedom to be...what we might consider 'strange'. Even things like what is beautiful, right, wrong, good, or evil. Any of that. Slowly everything I was afraid of just became a sort of 'it is what it is' kind of thing. Just these past few months I've actually gotten over my obsession with my body weight, also. This is a wonderful sort of progress :-)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

good point in many cultures the oddball in the bunch is revered as a sacred thing in some native american tribes its the (i hope i spell it right) hiyote no hiyuka no damn naked naturalist would know haga but its a sort of acred cliwn that does everthing the oposite of what youd expect a person to do, in other cultures cross dressers might be considered holy (and feared for their terrible powers and curses)

with dreads youd have those on the stret who look down on you asthat crazy hippie then theres others that will flock to you expecting you to know all the answers they need to solve every 1 of lifes issues

--
Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

I don't think I'm saying anything that hasn't been said here but acceptance of our surroundings and ourselves is ultimately the key to complete freedom.

People have eating disorders because they have been told by the magazines that skinny is cool, people don't have dreadlocks because the shampoo adverts tell them to smear harmful synthetic conditioners into their scalp, people don't love one another because the news constantly spreads nihilistic messages.

If i didn't know any better i would think that the media was trying to brainwash us all?

V Ramirez
@v-ramirez
12 years ago
3 posts

Your wise words give me patience to continue dreading naturally and make me feel beautifully messy. Thank you. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just ignore those ppl

--
Scott Marzano
@scott-marzano
12 years ago
5 posts

So well said and couldn't agree more!