Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The beauty of natural Dreadlocks, and support for any fellow early dreadies!

Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

When people first decide that they want dreads, some of them, as i did, will look for the quickest way possible to get the classic bob marley looking locks that are conventionally considered "dreadlocks".

On discovery that the only safe way to form dreads is to stop combing and conditioning the hair and to go on a dread "journey"(I twisted and ripped mine but virtually all of them loosened and formed their own knots), some people, including myself, formed the opinion that there is going to be a considerable amount of time where the hair will look "bad" before it turns into fully locked hair which will be "good" and that the process should be some kind of rush to the final goal.

Once I started my journey, my mind started to change, I began a slowrealizationthat has recently come to fruition and that is: although fully mature dreadlocks are beautiful- So is the hair that begins it's journey on day 1. There is something exquisitely beautiful about hair that has been allowed to move and shape it's self as it wants, it is one of the most natural things that a human can do.

My dreads are far from fully mature, hell from some angles they don't even look like dreads, and a few of em are still just my normal hair. But you know what? normal, unconditioned, uncombed, undisturbed hair is beautiful too and everyone shouldappreciatethat.

and finally, a piece of advice to any person early in their journey, as I am: It doesn't matter what stage of your journey that you are at, it doesn't even matter what your hair looks like (hell, the amount of people that have said to me "dude where have your dreadlocks gone?" is unreal lol) the fact is that you have liberated a part of your identity and you have relinquished a part of your appearence to nature, and that, my friends, makes your dreads special, and beautiful. This, i believe is the real beauty of Dreads, not how tightly knotted they are.

updated by @ginger-rasta: 02/14/15 08:14:10AM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

This is beautiful. I couldn't agree more. :D

Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

woo! Thanks very much :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i didnt even get 1/2 way through when i knew this had to be featured

very well said

i couldnt agree more

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

Thanks for the kind words SE. Ever the inspiration to me and many others.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well i think your words here will inspire others as well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

This definitely made my night reading this. I feel much better about being so new into my journey (: Thank you so much for posting this, everything you said is so right <3

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

very well put. it's like you are in my head! i'm glad you were able to put this into words & put it out there <3

Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

Thank you! You both have lovely dreads by the way!

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

You're welcome and thanks so much <3<3 (:

Ginger-Rasta said:

Thank you! You both have lovely dreads by the way!

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form