Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts

Finally after 6 months of non-violent civildisobedience from my parents attempt at controlling my hair, they finally caved. After almost on a daily basis of getting told my hair looks like crap, it looks ugly, and on a weekly basis of being threatened that my hair is gunna be cut. I didnt get pissed off at my parents i just let my hair do what it does.

Last week my parents said they know my hair is dreading and will let it happen. Yesterday my mom showed me a nice congo on the side of my head and that i need to control my hair but i can let it dread. Whatever im just gunna let it do what it do, so anyone who is experiencing parents who arent supporting your decision just try this, it could work better than a screaming fight.

Much love, peace, and happiness.

updated by @valentin-the-jellyfish: 02/14/15 10:14:11AM
BKsensiUrWay
@bksensiurway
13 years ago
19 posts

i definitely feel you on that. my mommy LOVES my curly blonde mane. But after seeing how nicely and naturally my hair took to locking she had to admit that it was "adorable" even though she couldn't wait until i had my normal hair back.hahaha. it also helps if you show them this site believe it or not. It wasn't necessary , but she had a lot of questions and concerns about the hygiene aspect of the endeavor since i have really sensitive skin and this forum was thorough and reassuring enough to put a mother's worries to rest. =]

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I had them same issues with my parents. I've always had wild hair though. I was the black sheep on the family. I had every colour dye, 2 sets of mohawks, and 2 sets of locks. My first set was all waxed up, and I ended up loosing all my hair after 2 months. Then I decided to go the natural way. They look god awful for about a year. every day my mom had to remark that they looked bad and messy and that they were just a phase and that I'd cut them when I needed to get a job. 5 years later, and she does't talk about it too much, but it still comes up now and then. She thinks I am too old to have locks andpiercingsand tattoos. It's a never ending cycle. Whatever I do, she thinks it's immature. You get used to it, and just keep telling them that they are yours, not theirs

As for my dad, he's just a racist pig, and thinks dreadlocks are for black people, and that I am trying to look black. That, you've just got to ignore. I nod my head and talk about something else. It's not worth fighting with him about. I know he still loves me. He just can't keep his mouth shut.

As for congo's, you should separate them at some point. There will be a time when they are too mature to do by hand and you'll need a razor blade. Figure out how thick you want them to be and try to keep them that way. Some people like thin, pencil width, locks. I love the huge phatty ones. My thickest is almost 2 inches wide at the root, and my thinnest is about a sharpie's width.

Remember, and remind people that your hair is yours. If they don't like it, tough. They don't have to have locks.

It's probably a good idea, though, to direct her to this site so she can hear from all of us that locks are clean, probably cleaner than normal strait hair

Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts

the congo is just about two inches but its like 4 baby dreads that are just starting to combine. and im sorry what you had to go through

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Eh, it was nothing. Thanks, though.

Just be careful. Sometimes when they congo too much, it can hurt. You don't want them to get too big or they'll weigh a ton and pull at your scalp. Ouch

Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts

it hurts for a week after i have my hair in a ponytail for soccer mon-friday for 3 hours cuz i have dreads that arebeing pulled up and it hurts a lot haha. But i finally got a soft brim tam to play in so it wont be as bad

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

That's good. You don't want to hurt. I used to interlock mine, and they'd hurt for a few days afterwards. Then I found out that it was damaging my roots. When they hurt, it probably means you're pulling your roots too tight. They don't like that. It can stunt growth

Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts

yeah im gunna use my tam from now on at practice, and once they really start to lock up i can jut use a looser headband for games

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

cool, once they start really locking up, if your hair's long enough, it'd be better to use 2 locks to tie them up rather than a band anyways

Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts

tying hair would kinda suck cuz it would come untied after just a few mins so i would just rather use a thick loose band

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form