Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help! Having a wobble :(

Evie
@evie
13 years ago
12 posts

Not sure if it's the same in states, but "having a wobble" means starting to get cold feet about something - not being sure, doubting yourself etc. I'm having my wobble about dreads. AArgh!!

It's been 3 wks of not combing, using a natural bar soap, now onto bicarb soda. But I do put my hair up a lot of days, which I know slows it down. I'm guessing it's probably normal in the early stages, especially as I'm surrounded by non-dready folks,and just starting a course in training to be a complementary therapist. There fanatical about professional appearance etc.

My family support me - hubby, kids, and my daughter thinks I'd look pretty. She said she'd be sad if I stopped. So just looking for a listening ear, and support to keep me on the right track. :)

oh, and no-one understands the natural process, even my hippy yoga teacher, who said she had dreads years ago, now has dread falls, and said "I thought we were supposed to be becoming more normal now." I guess she means as we get older. :(

updated by @evie: 02/14/15 11:27:07AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

your aqlready showing progress keep it up

what is "normal"

if normal means everyone looking alike then even borig conformists arent normal..noone is

so be yourself

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cameron Zion
@cameron-zion
13 years ago
45 posts

Wouldn't being "normal" mean not changing or altering the way God (higher power) created you to be. It's amazing how many squares fit in a round world :) Bless up.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i totally understand what your going through. personally i think the natural route is the easiest way to ease people into an acceptance of dreadlocks. your hair looks like normal hair right now. slowly you'll develop little knots here and there over the course of the next year. most people probably won't notice and if you really need to hide them from an employer or something than it's as simple as a headband and your hair twisted up with a claw type clip. i recently went to a family function and some family didn't even know that i had started this a year ago and they've seen me multiple times throughout the year. i wore my hair down this time. they were a little unsure and confused but they accepted it.

if its something you really long for than i would say stick with it because you'll probably regret it if you don't. it might take a long time to see knots happen but its worth it:)

Evie
@evie
13 years ago
12 posts

Thanks everyone :)

I love this place - it's so good to know you're not on your own. You're right - all I have to do is wear it up if I need to, then wear it down when I don't. I've always wanted them, and loved them on other people for years, so this is my big chance. I'm slowly unlearning being obsessed about my hair, and the way I look - all part of a journey I'm on, and I see the dreads as part of that. But I still worry about others TOO much. Guess that's something I need to work on!

Thankyou so much for the support and encouragement xxx

Jeffusis
@jeffusis
13 years ago
2 posts

I Read That You Said You Always Like Seeing Dreads On Other PeopleAnd Love Seeing The WayThey Looked Well I Felt The Same Way Ive Always Loved The Look And The Feel Of Them But For The Longest Time I Was Scared Ta Get Em Then One Day I Just Said Screw It I Like Em And I Havent Regreted Gettin EmPeople All The Time Make Fun Of My Hair But Ya Know What Let Em Judge Me Idc This Is What I Love I Try And Talk Other People Into Becoming Dreadies Just Embrace It Its Natural Its All The Fashion Mags And The Governments That Say We Should Brush Our Hair Turn Away From Natural And Come Into The Now And Modern Well Like I SaidLet Them Judge Cause The Only Opinion That Should MatterIs Yours Have Fun With Your Dreads I Make My Own Wooden Dread BeadsAnd Your Kids Will Be Able To Make You Dread Beads Have Fun With Your Dreads There R So Many Different Things For Dreads Its Great

sara5
@sara5
13 years ago
3 posts

i just read your comment and i feel i have cold feet. i always try not too worry about what people think. But i find it hard to stay in the present and my mind controls me and stresses about the future or the past. im 32 have always wanted dreads and thought about having them for so long. and then i get this fear mainly cause every one goes on about how lovely my hair is- long and in my mind it translates oh if u want your dreads out maybe ten years down the line your going look silly with short hair. why is that i know its negative conditioning. i think going the whole hog for me ( i have 8 tnr at the mo) is an important break for freedom . freedom from my own mind and a way to live through my heart. I cant understand how society projects such vanity. Im just going do it.

Evie said:

Thanks everyone :)

I love this place - it's so good to know you're not on your own. You're right - all I have to do is wear it up if I need to, then wear it down when I don't. I've always wanted them, and loved them on other people for years, so this is my big chance. I'm slowly unlearning being obsessed about my hair, and the way I look - all part of a journey I'm on, and I see the dreads as part of that. But I still worry about others TOO much. Guess that's something I need to work on!

Thankyou so much for the support and encouragement xxx

KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
13 years ago
122 posts

As someone who was forced to get rid of her dreads. I'm telling you...keep going. You have an entire journey ahead of you. I absolutely cannot wait til I can start mine again. Next time, I'm going 100% natural. :-)

sara5
@sara5
13 years ago
3 posts

thanks hun. feeling your energy and vibrations. pure excitement now ,..ok im going do the rest xxx sod it one love one life one world

Evie
@evie
13 years ago
12 posts

It really is a journey isn't it? It's a month later and I have one chunky flat dread at the back of my head. I;ve proudly shown it off to my friends who all seem supportive. I guess thay might really think I'm gling thru some sort of midlife crisis! But I don't care. I wear less make up now, I'm choosing healthy products. It all seems to be part of this.

Keep strong everyone. One day we'll be sharing our dreadie photos! xx

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form