Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will this hair ever dread? Feeling frustrated

3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts
So I guess this is the best place to post this.

I'm having some frustration in my dread journey. I'm 2 months in and feel like the back of my head is doing nothing....

I started with tnr and the sections fell out (notsurprised, it's normal I know). I have tried beads, string, and just letting it be but not seeing any real progress on the back of my head. I'd say the entire bottom half of the back is completely straight, undreaded hair, not even a baby tangle.

My hair on the bottom is very soft and smooth and it tends to get oily faster than the rest of my head.

I guess I need some assurances that this large area of hair will do something and if there is any insight or ideas in how to help it along would be great.

I am All for enjoying the journey and letting it ride and going as natural as possible. Anyone with a similar story or a timeline would be super awesome.

Thanks!
20160703_175424.jpg
20160703_175424.jpg  •  602KB

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316

updated by @carolbrennan: 02/03/18 08:06:43PM
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
8 years ago
156 posts

Hey!

I think everything is fine, you are doing nothing wrong! Everybody has different hair, so everybody's journey is different. You just have to take it as it comes... I am at 6 month of going natural, and most of the people don't realize that i am dreading my hair, they think i have very thick and curly hair, that's it. If i would expect them to notice what's going on, it would be pure frustration, but i don't expect anything. At my 6 month mark something different is going on, some hair feels more like a dread than it was before, but still everything is going very very slow...

Maybe it will help you to lower your expectations? There will be time with not much visible changes and there will be time with more visible changes and you cannot do much except being patient, maybe try to not wait for something to happen, just let it happen whenever it will.

All the best for your journey!

3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

Thank you both for your answers.  I just need to let go and embrace the journey.  I think everyone goes through these feelings and gets in a rut,  Especially after seeing such progress in the first 2 months. Hair is stubborn and I guess I need to just give over completely and know when it is ready to dread it will 

--

erik5166
@erik5166
8 years ago
30 posts

yeah, i think embracing the journey is the way to go. we have guidelines for letting hair dread naturally, but within that, each person's hair will do what it will. 

your hair looks very nice in that pic! is there anything going on in the back of the head, underneath the top layer of hair? that's where i'm seeing most of my natural locking. how often do you wash? i feel like washing(with proper cleansers of course), and water in general, helps the locking process. some people use a sea salt/water spray to facilitate locking also. 

anyway, try not to worry! i feel once we change our hair-care habits to natural, healthy methods, good things happen, even if they aren't exactly how we envisioned them, or as quickly.

3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

Erik,

Thanks for the response.  My hair is pretty much dreaded or starting baby dreadlets over the rest of my head.  I have some photos on my profile that can show it better.  It seems like only this triangle section is not starting yet.  It was difficult when I had a perm or styled it before dreadlocks.  So it just must be my only section.  

Relaxing my expectations is necessary for sure I'm just a worrier. I guess positive note is I can layer my hair that has dread over it so it's not as noticeable while it's working itself out. It seems the day after I feel like nothing is happenning I will find a loose tip that has swished together into a dread tangle.  I have a few dreads like that...2 inches of dread at bottom and then loose to root but it seems to go quickly after that.

I use the locking up shampoo from dreadlocks Hampton site and I also go swimming in the ocean once or twice a week.  No wax, gel, or other products. I also do not do dread balling or Palmolive as I e heard things about that being bad.

I'm just gonna have to buckle up and enjoy the ride.  However long it takes.

--

3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

*dreadlock shampoo

*palm rolling not palmolive.... stupid phone!

--

erik5166
@erik5166
8 years ago
30 posts

3_little_birds2316:

Erik,

Thanks for the response.  My hair is pretty much dreaded or starting baby dreadlets over the rest of my head.  I have some photos on my profile that can show it better.  It seems like only this triangle section is not starting yet.  It was difficult when I had a perm or styled it before dreadlocks.  So it just must be my only section.  

Relaxing my expectations is necessary for sure I'm just a worrier. I guess positive note is I can layer my hair that has dread over it so it's not as noticeable while it's working itself out. It seems the day after I feel like nothing is happenning I will find a loose tip that has swished together into a dread tangle.  I have a few dreads like that...2 inches of dread at bottom and then loose to root but it seems to go quickly after that.

I use the locking up shampoo from dreadlocks Hampton site and I also go swimming in the ocean once or twice a week.  No wax, gel, or other products. I also do not do dread balling or Palmolive as I e heard things about that being bad.

I'm just gonna have to buckle up and enjoy the ride.  However long it takes.

wow, it looks great in your pic gallery, looks like you're doing fine! i guess here we are doing the natural method, and there will be peculiarities on all our heads :) i have certain areas where my hair seems different than the rest, like just straight and unaffected by the locking of the rest. i don't mind as long as it overall looks good. plus i cut some of that hair off :) my previous cut really wasn't geared for growing real long. anyway, cheers!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

as everyone pointed out 2 months is nothing

if it was 2 years then you can legitimately ask..will this ever dread (the answer would still be yes, but the time would be anyones guess)

at 2 months its very very likely to be dreaded in just another...wait for it... 2 months

3/4 of your hairs dreaded in just 2 months..thats fast

why do you think the other 1/4 wouldn't be dreaded in about the next 2 months?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

Yeah I hear you on the whole 2 months being early.  I guess I was just surprised that that section wasn't moving at the same speed as my others.  It's always been my trouble section of my hair... won't stay curled, more oily and soft, that kind of thing.

More than anything I think I want reassurances that it will do something or that others had the same issue.  Looks like I have my answer.

--

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

nobody has ever had the entire head all progress at the same speed..just doesn't happen

always 1 part dreads faster then the rest..typically how you sleep affects what parts dread fastest.. but sometimes its texture or oiliness'

but 99% of the time its simply a matter of trying to sleep on that section

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form