Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ELF-LOCKS, FAIRY-lOCKS, WITCH’S KNOTS and DREADLOCKS – The Cultivation of the Wild Woman Spirit – Can Hair Mirror the Soul?

Tribal Ali
@tribal-ali
11 years ago
2 posts

To read the blog in its entirety visit the original on my web page...

http://alisonbrierley.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/elf-locks-fairy-locks-witchs-knots-and-dreadlocks-the-cultivation-of-the-wild-woman-spirit-can-hair-mirror-the-soul/

Cultivating the Wild Woman Spirit CanHair Mirror the Soul?

Some may think the title of this blogis abit bonkers! Maybe it is.

Is it as barmy as destroying ones almostwaist-length, top condition, socially acceptable, naturally beautiful crowning glory?

Hhhmmmm??

Well I did.

A teeny bit of history and folk-lore first

When young children, especially girls, wake from an evenings slumber with tangles and snarls in their hair, mothers with a tradition of fairy folklore might whisper to their daughters that they had caught fairy locks or elf-locks.

Fairies, they say, tangled and knotted the hairs of the sleeping children as they played in and out of their hair at night.

How sweet and magicalis that? I dolove this bit of folk-lore.

Wikipedia has a small reference toFairy or Elf-locks. another source says the first known usage of the term comes from 1592!

Shakespeare references such elf-locks in Romeo and Juliet in Mercutio s speech of the many exploits of Queen Mab , where he seems to imply the locks are only unlucky if combed out.

She is the fairies midwife, and she comes In shape no bigger than an agate stone.

That plaits the manes of horses in the night And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs,

Which once untangled, much misfortune bodes.

In King Lear , when Edgar impersonates a madman, he elfs all his hair in knots. (Lear, ii. 3.)

What Edgar has done, simply put, is made a mess of his hair

In the Middle Ages horses found sweating in their stalls in the morning, with manes all knotted were said to have been Hag Ridden. The tangles in their manes were known as Witches knots.

There are stories that link this activity to the Wild Hunt . The Wild Hunt legend first developed around the 10th Century. The leader of the hunt varies from source to source. Some variations have it being led by the Germanic god Odin, while others have it led by the goddess Diana, who is said to lead an all-female version.

horsebraid

Later folklore stated that witches would transform people into these animals and ride them.

Waking up with knots in your hairand a sore body were said to be sure signs of this

and you were probably in BIG trouble with the church if discovered.

To read more about this in-depth check out this- The spread of witchcraft folklore to and in America

.oOo.

On with the story The Cultivation of the Wild Woman Spirit Can Hair Mirror the Soul?

I birthed my new babies on August the 1st.

Sometimes, doyou need todestroy a thing inorder for something new to rise out of the ashes?

I wanted a change because I have changed.

I felt thatmy outward appearance needed to reflect that change every time I looked in the mirror. Occasionally I regret it when they are totally bonkers with stray hairs flying out all over the place! But I dont want my socially safe hair back, I am moving forward!

I chose to sport Elflocks because I wanted to foster that Wild Woman Energy that I felt had diminished a littlesince pregnancy, birth and big change.

They are only 2 weeks old in these pics. I love my new-borns, all 39 of them.

When I was young, whenever I saw another woman with dreads I was in awe ofher confidence. I wanted some of that confidence and wildness to rub off on me!

As I got older, I became an adept at cultivating that adventurous, confident and free-spirited individual.

I had experimented withdreads before, well, they were neglected extensioned clubbing-hair, lol, and they were super cool at the time!

I didnt realise it until I wanted proper dreadsthat they were different kinds.

I am glad that I discovered the folklore of ELF-LOCKS , FAIRY-LOCKS and WITCHES KNOTS because DREADLOCKS didnt quite sit right. The reasons for having my hair like this bore no link to the usual stereotypes.

Theaffinity I felt was withthat Wild Woman archetype , with that confidence and ancient feminine wisdom. A truly Witchy Woman is complex. You can notput labels on her.

I chose to have Locs to markthis important Rite of Passage in my life. Being pregnant and giving birth were amazing and incredibly empowering. I loved it. Becoming a first time mum inmy fortiessimplyknocked the stuffing right out of my body,lol, and my confidence.

I am hoping my hairwill be a cool tool to help me on my path of deeper self-development and awareness. I am hoping that they might outwardly reflect back to me a feeling, still in the process of exploring,that I have on the inside.

AND Spiritual hippy dippy dribble aside

I have had them put in cos they suit me and simply look AWESOME!!! lol.

Thanks againto my dear friend HobyLopanMcflobo,

He helped to put the Tribal back into "Tribal", lol.

To read the blog in its entirety visit the original

http://alisonbrierley.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/elf-locks-fairy-locks-witchs-knots-and-dreadlocks-the-cultivation-of-the-wild-woman-spirit-can-hair-mirror-the-soul/

updated by @tribal-ali: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Heavenly Bohemian
@heavenly-bohemian
11 years ago
1 posts
I love your Elflocks. It's must be nice to look how your soul feels. I have just begun my natural journey and am looking forward to watching my fairy locks grow. x
Tribal Ali
@tribal-ali
11 years ago
2 posts

Hi Brandi! There are up days and down days, lol, but all good days. Good luck on your jouney dear lady. xxx

Brandi McConnell said:

I love your Elflocks. It's must be nice to look how your soul feels. I have just begun my natural journey and am looking forward to watching my fairy locks grow. x
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just so you know that guy dreading your hair wasnt an elf elfs dread it in yoiur sleep elf locks would be natyral locks

but aside from that awesome blog

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Megg
@megg
10 years ago
2 posts

I love yourElflocks! very awesome! I also love the term Fairylocks. I think that term applies to mine way better than dreadlocks. thanks!

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

I love this post. I can totally relate to it. <3 Thank you for sharing!

I've never quite felt that the term "dreadlocks" fit, as much as I love the look and the way I feel with them. I'm also big in to folk/faerie lore and mythology. I had totally not related the two for some reason. LOL

Thanks again!

<3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form