Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I want to dye my dreads...

☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
Hey guys, I am thinking about dying my hair.
There was a discussion on dying with henna but I can't seem to find it.

I really want to dye my hair red but I can't decide what is the best way to do it. I had my hair red for years and I miss it so much!

Any one have any advise on what would be the best least damaging way to dye my dreads!

updated by @izzy-licious: 01/13/15 08:31:13PM
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
hey there!i have some experience with henna and so i think i can tell you a few things so that you can make a decision easier..Firstly you should know, that henna isn't a strong dye, as it is mostly (not quite sure if 100%) natural..So be sure that the colour of your hair won't be extremely strong at the first application..a good thing about your hair, from what i can tell, is that it is blonde..that means that the results will be better and more obvious..I should warn you though, that red henna at your hair might make it ginger instead of red..I dont know what tone you're wishing to get..that's it in all, but i would love to answer any questions you should have as to the process and stuff..so, feel free to just ask!! :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
seen ppl use unsweetened koolaiode to get brilliant reds but i dunno how long it lasts

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RebelnYell
@rebelnyell
14 years ago
8 posts
here is video i found on youtube pretty quickly regarding soaringeagle's suggestion of dying with kool aide:
The person stated in the description "... I used kool-aid (unsweetened) and it left like a cool red tint on my hair. I like it and plus it fades out in a couple of weeks."
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
I would love to have been born with naturally red hair.. Ginger is the color I wanted when I was dying ( with boxed dye) my hair but it never came out right so I ended up going really dark red instead... I am afraid to go too dark at first and not be able to go lighter if I want I would rather go gradually darker as needed. Any particular brands of henna you recommend etc.. I would love all suggestions and experience stories marie-felicite said:
hey there!
i have some experience with henna and so i think i can tell you a few things so that you can make a decision easier..

Firstly you should know, that henna isn't a strong dye, as it is mostly (not quite sure if 100%) natural..So be sure that the colour of your hair won't be extremely strong at the first application..
a good thing about your hair, from what i can tell, is that it is blonde..that means that the results will be better and more obvious..
I should warn you though, that red henna at your hair might make it ginger instead of red..I dont know what tone you're wishing to get..

that's it in all, but i would love to answer any questions you should have as to the process and stuff..so, feel free to just ask!! :)
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
that's is really great then!!i believe that CORPUS henna is one with a really god quaility..i dont know though if you can find it there..do a bit of research cause i would definately recommend it..now as to your worries about the colour i am almost sure that (at least with the henna i told you about-cause i ve seen the results myself-)you get the ginger tone cause you hair is blonde..and you should know that it wont make yor hair dark red..no way..cause it doesnt actually dye the hair, it just gives them a tint of colour according to the natural colour of the hair..darker hair get really dark red, or even better, an idea or red, while brighter ones get a colour more gingerish... Izzy-licious said:
I would love to have been born with naturally red hair.. Ginger is the color I wanted when I was dying ( with boxed dye) my hair but it never came out right so I ended up going really dark red instead... I am afraid to go too dark at first and not be able to go lighter if I want I would rather go gradually darker as needed. Any particular brands of henna you recommend etc.. I would love all suggestions and experience stories
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
Any good places you know where I can find Henna in bulk...? I can't think of anywhere that is local that would sell it but I am not even sure where to start
AGirlNamedTex
@agirlnamedtex
14 years ago
1 posts
Actually, you can bleach hair dyed with henna. Only if it's body art quality, though. More than one application spaced out over a few weeks is best as to not fry your hair while lifting the color. Then dye it whatever crazy color you want.Seconding the Henna for Hair site. It's a great site on all things henna and is a great source for finding pure, body art quality henna, which is the only henna that should ever touch your hair.I've used henna for a long time now (natural redhead, I use it to make the red deeper and bolder) and while it's messy and takes a lot more time than synthetic dye, I LOVE the stuff. <3 Knottysleeves said:
Longtime henna user here!

Be VERY sure you want red hair, because henna is permanent. The intensity will fade over time, but it never actually "washes out". You also cannot remove it by bleaching or using a colour stripper. You can dye over top of it, but only darker -- you cannot lighten hennaed hair, so if the shade you end up with is too dark, you're stuck with it until it grows out (which for us dreadheads can take a LONG time!)

Go to http://www.hennaforhair.com and read their FAQ and how-to guide... they're the best source of info for dyeing hair with henna.

If you decide to henna, make sure to buy only bodyart quality henna. Don't buy boxed "henna hair dye" or something from a bulk store, it is likely to be impure or mixed with undesirable crap, sometimes even chemicals. Fresh, 100% natural bodyart quality henna gives the best results every time, plus you don't need to use as much of it, so you save money. Also stay away from the henna blocks sold by Lush, as they mix their henna with a ton of cocoa butter and I can tell you from experience it's impossible to wash out of dreads. :-)
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
dye it to a darker color, because it wont have bleach in it.dont condition the dreads, of course (no your hair will not fall off, its just there to preserve the color so u can skip that step)black is beautiful and bold
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form