Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock Virgin.

Destiny
@destiny
11 years ago
2 posts

So, as the title entails I am a dreadlock virgin, so the questions in this may come off as idiotic but I would love answers. I've decided on getting partial dreads, and have done tons of research. I have loose curly hair, to the middle of my back, and crazy thick, so the neglect method will surely work wonders over time. But, right now, I was looking more into finding out a little more information first hand about the backcomb and twist & rip methods. I've decided against wax, and already 'poo free. I want as natural as I can get.

So, my questions are- I've seen many twist & rip videos/ forum discussions but while doing this method how tight should I pull on the strands to the scalp to create the knots? Should I backcomb before starting to twist and rip? Also, is this the better method of the two? I've heard many, many things but everyone's preference is different. To me, it sounds, twisting and ripping is a lot less damaging to your hair, but others disagree.

So from a virgin to the experts, what's your take?

updated by @destiny: 01/13/15 09:45:24PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

tnr is absolutely bertter backcomb combs against tge grain mif u ever went fishing and used 1 of those descalers to remove the fishes scales youd know that doing it head to tail wouldnt remove any tail to head strips em all off hairs covered in cutricles alot like scales combing down tip to root pries iopen and damages tese cuticles so they no longer close
they should open and close in responce to moisture/dryness heat/cold and ph ballance
having them roughed up and no longer protecting the hair males it easier to damage further with chemicals heat or manipulation l;ile palm rolling or cvcrochet

natural would be the best choice howver

and how tight well not too
tight enough to survive a couple washes..gentle washes but not tight enough to be tight or stiff or anything they need to be loose enough to move

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wow look at that hair...

u gotta go natural if u tnr 1 dread the rest of your head will spontaniosly start to form natural dreads to prevent u from tnring a second

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Anna3
@anna3
11 years ago
70 posts

This is how I did my TnR. I didn't do it tight at all, mostly just to make the sections. They ended up falling out almost all the way.It did put a jump start on my journey though :)

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/the-way-i-made-my-dreadlocks-twist-and-rip

Destiny
@destiny
11 years ago
2 posts

Thanks so much guys! Gonna start on em in a few, beyond excited.

Soaring Eagle, I do plan on letting it continue naturally once I start it up a bit & your info was so helpful, thank you!

Anna, that video was perfect, it answered my question about tightness wonderfully. & that's all I want for sure, a jumpstart to get my journey started.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form