Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

a dreadlock by any other name

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
what is a dreadlock?mens hairstyle glossery defines it as:Dreadlocks (dreads, locks): This hairstyle is formed by matted ropes that are formed without styling aids like brushes, combs, and scissors.all sites with just a few exceptions have 1 thing in common, when defining dreadlocks they say they are matts of hair that form on theyre own without products or styling tools like combs.a few sites (definition/dictionary sites) do say they form on theyre own, but can be made by manipulating the hair varios ways.if dreads by definition form naturaly why is it that the natural dread process is the least understood?why do so many turn to making dreads even paying to have them made as the 1st option//?\maybe if there was another name for manipulated dreads there wouldnt be this confusion?i know contraversial subject..hehe im gonna get some nasty responces maybe but im justy trying to make a point here, not that backcombed or other dreads dont end up being dreads in the end, but it seems thart dreads had to be redefined as a word to encompass this new trend in making not growing dreads, so perhaps to avoid confusion that should be redefined as a seperate but simular hairstyle?thereby alowing more precise use of the word and causing a greatter understanding.. when you then say dreadlock you know it formed on its own, but when you use the new word you know it wasw made using any 1 of the other methods..im not trying to be a seperatist here or anything, just think that in order to have a greatter understanding of all locks it will help greatly if all peiople new to locks didnt automaticly think all locks were made in salons using combs hooks and gunksi guess we do have the term waxlocks now for locks glued together in wax..and terms for fake locks, but what about the not glued together but yet still "made" locks?maybe the terms should be prefixed with either natty or knotty (notty?)natty being natural knotty being creating knots (or notty not natural?)odviosly im making this up as i type without much thought ..i just glanced at a few definitions and started to writenot hate me im just thinking out loud..lol

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:29:49PM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form