Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Nautral Dreadlocks???

Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
When i first was thinking about getting dreadlocks i never really herd of the whole nautral dreadlocks. No one told me the different ways you could make dreadlocks. At first i was going to not comb my hair and see what nature does to my hair. But i reallly wanted dreadlocks quick soo i backcombed and they kinda looked like dreadlocks. As the months went by they started looking flat and they started getting lumps in them. I read online and it said that its natural and my one friend who had his dreadlocks for years told me its fine too so i just went with it. I took me a year untill my dreadlocks started looking like dreadlocks. Ive meet many people in my life who has dreadlocks and most of them said i should have went natrual which i kinda wish i did.My dreadlocks really have gotten thicker over the years mainly from congos.would you go nautral or just stop combing??now for my main questionsis there really a way to make dreadlocks???
updated by @apollo: 02/14/15 06:33:41AM
Jammin' Jay
@jammin-jay
15 years ago
30 posts
I'm currious as well!
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
If I did it over again, I'd go with just not combing and separating at the roots as desired, at first I thought back combing was the only way it'd really work, I know its still good for its own reasons for some people, but im still curious what they might of looked like,I love mine as they are now though too much to let it bother me though.I wouldn't say there is any true REAL way to make dreads, rather than start them by whatever means of manipulating the hair.
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
yeah at times i regreat backcombing Iain said:
If I did it over again, I'd go with just not combing and separating at the roots as desired, at first I thought back combing was the only way it'd really work, I know its still good for its own reasons for some people, but im still curious what they might of looked like,

I love mine as they are now though too much to let it bother me though.

I wouldn't say there is any true REAL way to make dreads, rather than start them by whatever means of manipulating the hair.
Hayley Turner
@hayley-turner
15 years ago
49 posts
I regret that I didn't let mine form naturally, natural dreads look the most beautiful I think, but I am happy with mine as they are. I wouldn't say that dreads can be made, but you can help them along a bit. Though a lot of the methods of doing this don't actually help, just make them look slightly more viable as dreads in the early stages.
gabriel
@gabriel
15 years ago
9 posts
i can thankfully say I haven't made any really regrettable mistakes. I backcombed in my first like maybe 3 or 4 dreads but it was way too much effort/time/pain.Now i'll backcomb a tiny bit everynow n then to jumpstart knots/mats, but only for like 10 minutes to creat a little baby-knot. from theres it all natural babehhh wouldnt want em any other way.
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
see i backcombed and although it may not have been the best way i love my dreads and dont regret it a bit. i also used a very little bit of wax in the beginning and it never hurt my dreads i mean honestly i havent used wax in a long while so that may be the diffrence but it never did anything really bad., i man maybe if i didnt use wax they may have dreaded faster but i have curly hair so the dreaded within a few months to where they were holding themselves together and i hardly used wax after that. i mean if i would have known the aloe trick i may have never used wax but like i said i love my dreads and i dont think id change anything except cutting the first set i had out cuz theyd be hella long now but everything happens for a reason
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
yeahh some people dont really care and i like that Kim hippie mama said:
see i backcombed and although it may not have been the best way i love my dreads and dont regret it a bit. i also used a very little bit of wax in the beginning and it never hurt my dreads i mean honestly i havent used wax in a long while so that may be the diffrence but it never did anything really bad., i man maybe if i didnt use wax they may have dreaded faster but i have curly hair so the dreaded within a few months to where they were holding themselves together and i hardly used wax after that. i mean if i would have known the aloe trick i may have never used wax but like i said i love my dreads and i dont think id change anything except cutting the first set i had out cuz theyd be hella long now but everything happens for a reason
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
if i could do it again i wouldent comb Knottysleeves said:
I started both my sets by backcombing. I do love the look of natural dreads, but I tried that route for my second set and absolutely nothing was happening after 3+ months... I missed having dreads so much that I just couldn't wait any longer, and so I backcombed. :-) My hair just seems to need a little help getting started.

The only regret I have is using wax for the first set. I really didn't like those dreads for the first two years, and it's only once I stopped using the wax in year 2 that they actually knotted up for real and started looking good. Then again, if I hadn't used wax and gone through all those bad experiences, I wouldn't have learned so much, so...

I hope to have my current set for years, but if I do start another set in future for whatever reason, I'd like to commit to going the full patience route!
Bobbi
@bobbi
15 years ago
27 posts
I am so glad that I decided to go the natural route. It's only been two months of not combing and I'm surprised at how many dreads have started forming. Some have already knotted up to the root.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form