Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

experience with very thin hair

Jodie Hyland
@jodie-hyland
15 years ago
23 posts
hi :) i haven't started yet, i'd just like a little advice. i have very thin hair.. when i tie it back i get the thinnest pony tail. i'd just like to know how dreads have turned out in others with very thin hair. what problems did you encounter from having thin hair and what you did to overcome them? i know a big problem will be making sure i don't have too much scalp showing however i believe if i section the hair right to begin with this can be overcome. any advise appreciated thank youjodie :)
updated by @jodie-hyland: 02/14/15 09:05:39AM
Beck
@beck
15 years ago
2 posts
I'm journeying for the third time, and I have super fine and somewhat thin mostly straight hair myself (making a ponytail about the diameter of a quarter or less).Attempt # 1: Neglect. The misinformed kind of neglect... I didn't wash my hair until the scabs on my head made me cut the one huge matte out.Attempt # 2: Suckered into DreadHead. Just say NO! Waxy, sticky, yucky mess... the sectioning also made my scalp super visible and although the sections were about 1.5" square, each "dread" was spindly looking and the shampoo is toxic.Attempt # 3: The Natural Way. I'm just letting the sections sort themselves out (some areas need a little encouragement, like the side I usually sleep on). I found that sectioning just calls attention to my scalp.The key for me has been my switch in shampoos.What I've Found:Dr. Bronners made my thin hair very weak and it would break off at the roots, even diluted 20/1, and it over-dried my scalp so that I got horrible dandruff when I used it. So I hunted around for different alternatives... my ultimate favorites are liquid African Black Soap (fair trade and organic... can be found at some health food stores or online), which I use most of the time, my hair looks thick and full like it never has before (looks like I have twice as much hair!) plus it seems to help my hair lock up and treats dandruff ... and once a month or so I use Terressentials Pure Earth hair wash (all of their hair washes are edible)... it's clay based, so you have to rinse VERY well.Whatever shampoo/hair wash you choose to use, I suggest checking the ingredients or the brand at cosmeticsddatabase.org (brought to you by the Environmental Working Group) for toxicity information.If you're determined to section your hair: do squares in a brick pattern so that you don't have huge scalp lines scoring your head.I hope that was helpful!Good luck, and let me know how it progresses :)Peace,-Beck
anthony williams
@anthony-williams
15 years ago
101 posts
thanks for this post! i have very fine hair and have had concerns haha! Beck said:
I'm journeying for the third time, and I have super fine and somewhat thin mostly straight hair myself (making a ponytail about the diameter of a quarter or less).
Attempt # 1: Neglect. The misinformed kind of neglect... I didn't wash my hair until the scabs on my head made me cut the one huge matte out.
Attempt # 2: Suckered into DreadHead. Just say NO! Waxy, sticky, yucky mess... the sectioning also made my scalp super visible and although the sections were about 1.5" square, each "dread" was spindly looking and the shampoo is toxic.
Attempt # 3: The Natural Way. I'm just letting the sections sort themselves out (some areas need a little encouragement, like the side I usually sleep on). I found that sectioning just calls attention to my scalp.
The key for me has been my switch in shampoos.
What I've Found:
Dr. Bronners made my thin hair very weak and it would break off at the roots, even diluted 20/1, and it over-dried my scalp so that I got horrible dandruff when I used it. So I hunted around for different alternatives... my ultimate favorites are liquid African Black Soap (fair trade and organic... can be found at some health food stores or online), which I use most of the time, my hair looks thick and full like it never has before (looks like I have twice as much hair!) plus it seems to help my hair lock up and treats dandruff ... and once a month or so I use Terressentials Pure Earth hair wash (all of their hair washes are edible)... it's clay based, so you have to rinse VERY well.
Whatever shampoo/hair wash you choose to use, I suggest checking the ingredients or the brand at cosmeticsddatabase.org (brought to you by the Environmental Working Group) for toxicity information.
If you're determined to section your hair: do squares in a brick pattern so that you don't have huge scalp lines scoring your head.
I hope that was helpful!
Good luck, and let me know how it progresses :)
Peace,
-Beck
Jodie Hyland
@jodie-hyland
15 years ago
23 posts
thanks Beck :) i've now started them and they're very fluffy lol i won't be using any wax but i have used a little aloe.
Kristy Boudreaux
@kristy-boudreaux
13 years ago
4 posts
I have the same worry! I have very thin hair, and my dreads are a day old. There is a lot of scalp showing, but after a night of sleep it already looks better. Your post is very helpful,Thank you!

Beck said:
I'm journeying for the third time, and I have super fine and somewhat thin mostly straight hair myself (making a ponytail about the diameter of a quarter or less). Attempt # 1: Neglect. The misinformed kind of neglect... I didn't wash my hair until the scabs on my head made me cut the one huge matte out.Attempt # 2: Suckered into DreadHead. Just say NO! Waxy, sticky, yucky mess... the sectioning also made my scalp super visible and although the sections were about 1.5" square, each "dread" was spindly looking and the shampoo is toxic.Attempt # 3: The Natural Way. I'm just letting the sections sort themselves out (some areas need a little encouragement, like the side I usually sleep on). I found that sectioning just calls attention to my scalp.The key for me has been my switch in shampoos.What I've Found:Dr. Bronners made my thin hair very weak and it would break off at the roots, even diluted 20/1, and it over-dried my scalp so that I got horrible dandruff when I used it. So I hunted around for different alternatives... my ultimate favorites are liquid African Black Soap (fair trade and organic... can be found at some health food stores or online), which I use most of the time, my hair looks thick and full like it never has before (looks like I have twice as much hair!) plus it seems to help my hair lock up and treats dandruff ... and once a month or so I use Terressentials Pure Earth hair wash (all of their hair washes are edible)... it's clay based, so you have to rinse VERY well.Whatever shampoo/hair wash you choose to use, I suggest checking the ingredients or the brand at cosmeticsddatabase.org (brought to you by the Environmental Working Group) for toxicity information.If you're determined to section your hair: do squares in a brick pattern so that you don't have huge scalp lines scoring your head.I hope that was helpful!Good luck, and let me know how it progresses :)Peace,-Beck
Celeste
@celeste
13 years ago
48 posts
Before I started my dreads my ponytail was as big around as my middle finger!!!! Now i can't even get my thumb & middle finger around my ponytail!!! I just started washing everyday with dish soap and they started sectioning themselves, and started getting my first dread about 3 or 4 weeks later and then they just took off on their own. They are now 16 months old and I LOVE THEM!!!!! Good luck!!!
greenblayza
@greenblayza
13 years ago
17 posts

Celeste,

Did you only use dish soap? And you literally washed every day? How long did they take? And what kind of dish soap?

Haha, sorry for the string questions, but I'm curious because your dreads look awesome!

Celeste said:

Before I started my dreads my ponytail was as big around as my middle finger!!!! Now i can't even get my thumb & middle finger around my ponytail!!! I just started washing everyday with dish soap and they started sectioning themselves, and started getting my first dread about 3 or 4 weeks later and then they just took off on their own. They are now 16 months old and I LOVE THEM!!!!! Good luck!!!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i'm curious too, greenblayza:) isn't dish soap a little harsh on your scalp though? i've thought about trying it but was worried my scalp would freak out and i would get dandruff.

Celeste said:

Celeste
@celeste
13 years ago
48 posts
Hi!!!! I used the green palmolive, and yes I washed it everyday cause I "had" really oily hair. I saw my first dread starting @ 3 -4 weeks after washing. It worked awesome for me...;)

greenblayza said:

Celeste,

Did you only use dish soap? And you literally washed every day? How long did they take? And what kind of dish soap?

Haha, sorry for the string questions, but I'm curious because your dreads look awesome!

Celeste said:

Celeste
@celeste
13 years ago
48 posts
No, my scalp was totally fine. It never got dry , itchy, flakey or anything. It worked really good for me!!! ;)

Heather said:

i'm curious too, greenblayza:) isn't dish soap a little harsh on your scalp though? i've thought about trying it but was worried my scalp would freak out and i would get dandruff.

Celeste said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form