Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Some Assembly Required

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Starting on your dreadlock journey is always exciting. Just about everyone who decides to lock their hair is enthusiastic and can't wait for the finished product.

The only thing is, there's a waiting period. Dreadlocks do not form overnight. And for those who use a starter method like back combing and TnR, there may be a sense ofdisappointmentwhen their new locks fall apart after the first wash.

It can feel like a brand new toy, that you want to play with right away, but has that all-too-familiar "some assembly required" sticker on the side of the box.

Don'tdespair. The process of "assembling" you locks (letting them get loopy and bumpy and messy) is actually more fun than having the finished product.

When you are in the early stages of having locks, you see so much change in your hair and in yourself. As time passes and you get confronted by all sorts of people eithercomplimentingyou orcriticizingyou, you go through a personality shift where the things and people who are important in your life begin to stand out and take on a bigger role. This is the most important an the most fun part of beginning he journey.

Once you have had locks for many years, the changes on your head become less and less obvious, and occur less and less often. So, eventually, you are no longer that guy/girl with locks. You just become you. This is a very important realization to have. For once you don't equate yourself as being someone-with-locks, you are free to do whatever you want and not be subjected to ridicule from the ignorant populous.

updated by @baba-fats: 02/14/15 08:34:12AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

and thats why your baba

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jsen
@jsen
12 years ago
1 posts

beautiful and inspiring :)

Reppyboyo
@reppyboyo
12 years ago
26 posts

I enjoyed this post, thank you.

Don J
@don-j
12 years ago
11 posts

Nicely done, though it makes me want to start over...(natural) I can at least appreciate that I did them myself

Thank you Baba.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If mine weren't as old as they are, I would start over natural. But at this point, it doesn't bother me. I do miss that super messy stage, though

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

Thanks for posting this! Yeah mine have come undone a lot and the comments that you and SE left on my post made me rethink my process and embrace the messiness and loose hairs that I have now (:

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

I needed this! Thanks =)

LionOfJudah
@lionofjudah
12 years ago
13 posts

Inspiring :)

ReJay Cheek
@rejay-cheek
12 years ago
5 posts

Just washed my TnR first time and half unraveled completely:( Seeing this post has helped but I really don't want to wait 2-3 years for my dreads to be tight... I know, patience, right? But does locking products help at all?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form