Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why it is absolutely idiotic to trim your hair while locking up the first year...

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Why? Because your hair shrinks, stretches, and just generally has a pissing contest with you every other day of the week. And you can guess who wins. It ain't the person attached to the hair!!!

I am at the end of my second month and I learned this the really hard way. My forelock on one side of my head I naturally keep longer than the other side because the longer side I like to tuck behind my ear and let the other side go free. So I noticed that the side I was tucking behind my ear, that whole side of my head was not knotting up at the same rate as the other side of my head! Furious, I trimmed about two inches off that forelock and for the next few days I tucked the forelock on the OTHER side of my head behind my ear and let the other side hang free. By day three I was horrified at what I discovered: my hair has a mind of its own!

Oh it started knotting up alright- the forelock split, created two new separate locks and the one that is behind it is significantly shorter than the one in front!! I look like a dipshit three year old who hacked at their hair with child's safety scissors! ROFL

Ok, so live and learn, folks. Preferably learn from other people's mistakes.

Don't touch your hair with scissors-- You cut any length off and you're going to end up regretting it!!!

updated by @angel-frye: 02/14/15 07:13:36AM
Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
13 years ago
95 posts

Ha Ha, that's a great discricption :-)

"By day three I was horrified at what I discovered: my hair has a mind of its own!"

Does that even suggest our brain get slowly sucked out of our heads by our dreads to create their own smart species ond leave us stupid behind :-))
Ha Ha, you saved my day!!!
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

I also learned that you really need to consciously alternate which 'favorite side' you sleep on. One side of my head is looking lovely(the side I prefer to sleep on) and the other is loose wreck. This is an adventure. One day at a time.

*sllluuuuuuuurrrp!* Yep. My brains are going.. going.......gone.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. well, once they are seriously mature (years old), it doesn't hurt them to cut a little. I've known people who only wanted theirs to stay a certain length. You can trim the tip off as they grow older, but you run into the trouble of ending up with blunted tips, and we all know how that's not desirable at all

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

oh man what a bummer!!! that sux lolyou probly wont be able to tell in a few more days :)

Lenore Osorio
@lenore-osorio
13 years ago
6 posts

yes this is so so true i did the same thing some of my dreads were a little shorter then others so i trimmed the end on two dreads an let me tell you they really were pissed off so then i had one side longer then the other an i almost ruined my dread know its just about healing up after 3 months an it still dont look right, so it was a lesson i learned let my dreads be free an leave them alone!!

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Once I get them how long I want them I do plan on trimming regularly so my hair doesn't weigh a ton, so what's this about blunted tips? I haven't read anything here about them or why they're undesirable.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

thosewispy ends on natural locks let water run through them as they dry. When you blunt your ends, water just balls up at the tip and stays there like a sponge. You have to twist and squeeze your lock to get the water out. It's a pain in the butt. They eventually dry, but they can take hours longer, and might run the rsk of growing mold because the buildup of water.

If they want to blunt on their own, don't stop them. I have a bunch that did it themselves, but it's nbot a good thing to make happen

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

how long is your desired length? Mine are about 3-4 inches past my shoulder, and they're not heavy at all. Plus there are ways to tie them up that counters the wieght

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts

a lot of mine blunted on their own and i was worried it was my fault by not paying them enough attention. luckily though, the top side of my head is staying nice and wispy.

Baba Fats said:

thosewispy ends on natural locks let water run through them as they dry. When you blunt your ends, water just balls up at the tip and stays there like a sponge. You have to twist and squeeze your lock to get the water out. It's a pain in the butt. They eventually dry, but they can take hours longer, and might run the rsk of growing mold because the buildup of water.

If they want to blunt on their own, don't stop them. I have a bunch that did it themselves, but it's nbot a good thing to make happen

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form