Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 weeks into neglect, Dr. Bronners or BS rinse?

Josh6
@josh6
13 years ago
53 posts

Theres a natural store up my street that sells Dr. Bronners soaps that I could use to wash my hair, but I don't know what kind I should get and upon a bit of research on this site found that some people had troubles with it, so now I am a bit hesitant.

I dont want to have issues with dandruff either so the BS rinse scares me a bit. I could also go pick up some rosemary oil and tea tree oil to put in with baking soda and sea salt, is this an effect method and will it keep the dandruff away?

updated by @josh6: 01/13/15 09:12:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

you will have dandruff with dreads almost always managing it with bs acv and rosemarty teatree is the best option

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

Like SE said you will always have dandruff. The best way to really reduce visible dandruff is to eat better and stay hydrated. To manage dandruff I would say explore with your options, because what works for one may not work for another.

BS is a salt and can dry out certain skin types more than others. It does dry my scalp, but I've found that a rosemary, aloe vera, sage, and mint rinse afterwards does wonders to rehydrate my scalp. Best things about BS is that it is a salt and dissolves completely in water so it does not leave build up, and it also helps remove buildup as it acts as an exfoliator for skin and hair.

Dr. B's is good stuff. But it doesn't rinse well in hard water, which is something I deal with. I don't think it matters what kind you get, although I've heard liquid is harder to rinse out although I haven't noticed the difference. I stick to bars to minimize the waste of plastic bottles, which is a personal preference. What ever you do rinse with COLD water to reduce not only dandruff, but also cold water seems to rinse more effectively than warm water or hot water for that matter.

Honestly, explore and see what works best for you...like Ms. Frizzle says "Take chances, make mistakes, and get messy" or in your case get clean.

brittany leigh
@brittany-leigh
13 years ago
11 posts

I haven't yet tried the bs/acv, but was thinking about it just to get a real good cleanse in there. But I have been doing the neglect for 5 months now and I will swear by Bronner's. I started with liquid at first, I think I tried eucalyptus [tho I don't think it matters which scent you get]. And at first, I thought it made my hair feel weird. We don't have hard water either, so I was thinking about stopping using it. But after a month or two I stopped noticing the difference and my hair feels smooth and soft and normal now. I think it just had to get used to the change in soap. Now that I have experimented a little with some of Bronner's different products I much prefer the bar soap. I feel that it lathers up easier than the liquid [tho they both lather just fine]. And so far I haven't had too much trouble with dandruff. [ I wash my hair once or twice a week now, at first I was doing 3 or 4 times a week] I do notice a tiny bit say if I scratch my head real rough, but other than that it's been smooth sailing! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Josh6
@josh6
13 years ago
53 posts

Okay one problem though.

Oil doesn't dilute in water, so how does this work?

Cathy Givans
@cathy-givans
13 years ago
44 posts

My problem wasn't my scalp. It was my hair. I had problems with both. Dr B's left so much residue in my hair, my dreads felt like I had gum in my hair. It didn't matter how much I diluted or rinsed. Baking soda made it look like I had dull hair - it was like I had baby powder in my hair without the powder. My hair started to look white. I have hard water though. soaring eagle just referred me to a site that sells dread soap bars. I am going to try that this time around and hope it works out better. (The site says it even works in hard water and I like that they are all about organic products that don't add to the depletion of our planet's resources.) My advice, consider the type of water you have before you use anything on your dreads. Can't comment on the dandruff since I didn't have any but soaring eagle is amazing at all of this dread stuff. :)

Cathy Givans
@cathy-givans
13 years ago
44 posts

Not having hard water is probably the reason you love Dr B's so much. I still love it for a body/face wash, despite the fact that I can't use it for my hair because of hard water. I noticed, with my skin, that I broke out more for a little while but now I have no breakouts on my skin - even in areas that have always suffered from breakouts. My guess - I had allergies to other soaps. It is a little drying to my skin but I just counteract that with a lot of hydration and by using an olive oil/brown sugar scrub on my skin in the shower. I also use Dr B's to make hand soap....speaking of which, I need more. ;)

brittany leigh said:

I haven't yet tried the bs/acv, but was thinking about it just to get a real good cleanse in there. But I have been doing the neglect for 5 months now and I will swear by Bronner's. I started with liquid at first, I think I tried eucalyptus [tho I don't think it matters which scent you get]. And at first, I thought it made my hair feel weird. We don't have hard water either, so I was thinking about stopping using it. But after a month or two I stopped noticing the difference and my hair feels smooth and soft and normal now. I think it just had to get used to the change in soap. Now that I have experimented a little with some of Bronner's different products I much prefer the bar soap. I feel that it lathers up easier than the liquid [tho they both lather just fine]. And so far I haven't had too much trouble with dandruff. [ I wash my hair once or twice a week now, at first I was doing 3 or 4 times a week] I do notice a tiny bit say if I scratch my head real rough, but other than that it's been smooth sailing! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form