Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The truth of Backcombing is Unraveled (literally)

Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
You can also make "hot tea" with some pepper, red and black, and some fresh peppers, like jalapeno, make a tea of it and spray it on your plants to keep the kitties away. You just want to be sure to rinse your herbs before you use them! soaringeagle said:
herb stores would be better..or health food store that stocks bulk herbs too
grocery stores will probly only have lil spice container type things of thyme
theyre too small u can use all of it quickly
an herb store u can get a couple oz cheap

oh and

u can grow cat grass so the cats chew that and leave everything else alone
and i think if u dilute dr bronners alot and spray ity on the leaves the taste will make em stop

updated by @diamondskies: 07/18/15 08:14:14AM
Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
I backcombed mine in 3 months ago, none of them came out and they are tightaning up nicely. It took some practice, and I tried to be gentle, but backcombing is a rough process. Some are tighter than others, some have loops and bumps, and some have loose hair as well, but it's worked out for me! Just like every thing else in this world, each experience is different, because each person is different, our hair is different, and maybe the areas we live in (humidity, heat, air pressure?) has something to do with it?!? I don't know. I do agree though, that until they start tightening up, and locking on their own, they aren't really dreads, they're just holding a place in line for them! Hey man, can you save my spot? Cool, thanx!
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
"they're just holding a place in line for them! Hey man, can you save my spot? Cool, thanx"lol i love it.I agree and I think that the people who experience a "succesful" backcombing, have hair that more conducive to dreading. If my hair started to knot up before the backcombing comes undone it would appear to me that the backcombing created the dreads. But myhair happened to take much longer to knot up on its own than the combing was able to hold for....But no one sums it up like you did lol brilliant"they're just holding a place in line for them! Hey man, can you save my spot? Cool, thanx" Diamondskies said:
I backcombed mine in 3 months ago, none of them came out and they are tightaning up nicely. It took some practice, and I tried to be gentle, but backcombing is a rough process. Some are tighter than others, some have loops and bumps, and some have loose hair as well, but it's worked out for me! Just like every thing else in this world, each experience is different, because each person is different, our hair is different, and maybe the areas we live in (humidity, heat, air pressure?) has something to do with it?!? I don't know. I do agree though, that until they start tightening up, and locking on their own, they aren't really dreads, they're just holding a place in line for them! Hey man, can you save my spot? Cool, thanx!
Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
A momentary lapse of genius!!LOL Glad you liked it!! You're right though, my hair is more readily dreaded. I would wake up with huge knots in the underside of my hair every morning, it was my hair speaking out against being loose!! If my hair was finer it probably wouldn't have held so well, but my hair is thick. I've always gotten a lot of comments about how thick my hair is, and not just mass but girth as well! Didjeridurian said:
"they're just holding a place in line for them! Hey man, can you save my spot? Cool, thanx"

lol i love it.

I agree and I think that the people who experience a "succesful" backcombing, have hair that more conducive to dreading. If my hair started to knot up before the backcombing comes undone it would appear to me that the backcombing created the dreads. But myhair happened to take much longer to knot up on its own than the combing was able to hold for....
But no one sums it up like you did lol brilliant
"they're just holding a place in line for them! Hey man, can you save my spot? Cool, thanx"

Diamondskies said:
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
im at about 3 weeks right now and my hairs just dreaded enough to look like dreads. my first pic will be posted the day there a month old soaringeagle said:
exactly
well...in most cases
oily hair can be slow so oil reduction is needed 1st
i can say mine dreaded naturaly so fast i really cant remember there being a messy period betwee n dreaded and undreaded..it was 20 years ago but the time that it took to dread seemed like days but im assumming it was weeks.. id guess in 2-3 weeks or so most were dreaded enough to get "nice dreads" comments

Puppy said:
Seems that if you keep them clean with residue free shampoo it still takes about the same amount of time to fully lock up whether you backcomb or not.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
how can anyone ever tell u how your dreads should be looking when every dread should be looking different?i remember years ago seeing this old couple who looked like they came right out of a norman rockwell painting straight off an iowa farm or something (if they had a pitchfork the image would be complete) then the lil old lady turned around revealling this single 8 inch wide flat beavertail dread hanging down her back then neatly folded into a sling that hung from her shoulders and held her folded up massive dread about at her waist..it was odvios this dread was long as hell..maybe 10-15 feet.. how could u say her dread shoulda looked any other way then it looked?years ago i breifly was with this dready girl whos dready momma had a natural peace sign dread..1 massive dread that split into 3 to form a natural peace sign.. every dread should look exactly how it comes out HolliannePage said:
This was really helpful.
I started my dreads prettty much with backcombing.
They've started to get kinda loose, and a part of me is hoping that theyll do as you said yours did and come undone some first before they start to really dread and lock and everything.
My hair was super crazy and frizzy before, so I don't know if theyll come completely undone, but i want this process to be as natural as possible.
I have so many people telling me what to do, and how my dreads should be looking (funny cuz none of these people have dreads). lol
Anyways, like I said this was really helpful!
:)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
i noticed after about a year of not brushing my perfectly straight hair, that i was getting knots underneath. It never really occurred to me that those were dreads.. i always thought you HAD to put them in your head.. once i realized this was what was happening, and i embraced it, i started back combing some in.. Well that was just way too much work after a couple of days because I noticed that the rest of my hair was so tangled it was still naturally dreading itself no matter what i did to it. So.. i just LET IT GO!When you brush the tangles out of your hair, you are only fighting dreads every time. EVERYONE"S HAIR WANTS TO DREAD! and it WILL, if you just let it! If you have no patience to develop with your locks, then maybe it's not the right time.... ??
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i'd have to say that some of the most amazing dreads on here happened just like thati'm gonna revive the "pics comparing methods" thread and i want ya to post yours in there.. Karma Jane said:
i noticed after about a year of not brushing my perfectly straight hair, that i was getting knots underneath. It never really occurred to me that those were dreads.. i always thought you HAD to put them in your head.. once i realized this was what was happening, and i embraced it, i started back combing some in.. Well that was just way too much work after a couple of days because I noticed that the rest of my hair was so tangled it was still naturally dreading itself no matter what i did to it. So.. i just LET IT GO!

When you brush the tangles out of your hair, you are only fighting dreads every time. EVERYONE"S HAIR WANTS TO DREAD! and it WILL, if you just let it! If you have no patience to develop with your locks, then maybe it's not the right time.... ??

--
Marianas Trench
@marianas-trench
15 years ago
20 posts
Yeah, see, my hair is so thin and fine, and there's not muchof it. I could have tried to go all natural, but my hair was too short to dread, and I was impatient, so I back-combed, It's been a year, and it's not coming out, but I realized that with such short hair, I could have sectioned my hair, wrapped it near the roots, cut it short to the wraps like 3 inches, and it would have naturally dreaded starting at the roots. I cut the sides of my hair before dreading, so the sides and back are totally natural outside of wrapping, I literally wrapped hair a half inch long and watched it dread by itself :) For hte others it was backcombed, and I happy with all of it. Diamondskies said:
A momentary lapse of genius!!LOL Glad you liked it!! You're right though, my hair is more readily dreaded. I would wake up with huge knots in the underside of my hair every morning, it was my hair speaking out against being loose!! If my hair was finer it probably wouldn't have held so well, but my hair is thick. I've always gotten a lot of comments about how thick my hair is, and not just mass but girth as well!

Didjeridurian said:

lol i love it.

I agree and I think that the people who experience a "succesful" backcombing, have hair that more conducive to dreading. If my hair started to knot up before the backcombing comes undone it would appear to me that the backcombing created the dreads. But myhair happened to take much longer to knot up on its own than the combing was able to hold for....

Diamondskies said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
my 1st few were started with beads in the back and maybe 1/2 dozen wraps everywhere else and the rest was left to go naturalinstead of wrapping and cutting just sticking a bead in the end (instead of root) woulda worked fine Marianas Trench said:
Yeah, see, my hair is so thin and fine, and there's not muchof it. I could have tried to go all natural, but my hair was too short to dread, and I was impatient, so I back-combed, It's been a year, and it's not coming out, but I realized that with such short hair, I could have sectioned my hair, wrapped it near the roots, cut it short to the wraps like 3 inches, and it would have naturally dreaded starting at the roots. I cut the sides of my hair before dreading, so the sides and back are totally natural outside of wrapping, I literally wrapped hair a half inch long and watched it dread by itself :) For hte others it was backcombed, and I happy with all of it.

Diamondskies said:
A momentary lapse of genius!!LOL Glad you liked it!! You're right though, my hair is more readily dreaded. I would wake up with huge knots in the underside of my hair every morning, it was my hair speaking out against being loose!! If my hair was finer it probably wouldn't have held so well, but my hair is thick. I've always gotten a lot of comments about how thick my hair is, and not just mass but girth as well!

Didjeridurian said:

lol i love it.

Diamondskies said:

--

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form