Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreading the 1st few weeks of dreading

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if congos get too massive they are way more likely to mold (too thick to dry in center) they can pull unevenly and painfullythey can be hard to scratch an itch under and hard to clean the scalp and id guess unconfortable while sleeping etci think congoes are great up to a point but when theyre tring for the unidread or beavertail id wanna prevent them from becomming too hugethey look crazy as hell on some ppl and i respect that and think its cool i just couldnt imagine how it would feel or how much harder it would be to care for benjah said:
i dont think ive ever used a comb, even before my locks.

dont seem natural somehow, maybe when the first comb was made from bone or wood... but even then why would someone do that to themselves?

is there any reason to stop congos or is it just down to personal choice?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
benjah
@benjah
14 years ago
114 posts
oh okay, thats good to know.i'll remember that and try not to let them run to wild. ive ripped and teased some apart in the past but im currently enjoying 2 little congos that are cultivating.
Skye Taylor
@skye-taylor
14 years ago
9 posts
what thank you so much. this is the complete description of me.
Aaron"TheLegend"
@aaronthelegend
14 years ago
283 posts
I just started my journey yesterday! I'm going to try and not comb my hair ( i have straight/wavy hair). So far I've woken up to a complete mess on my head O.O My bangs are going every different direction and I have to say it's pretty cool. I can't wait till I hit 1 week and see the small but significant changes :)Only problem I have so far is.....does it matter if I get my hair wet? Also what residue free soaps are out there. Besides the Dr.B and baking soda which I'll probably do after my 2 or 3 week of no combing. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
is it ok if your cought in the rain? ofcourse u can get wetumm lush theres some other like homemade typessomeone else might know more ive been using drb or bs forever

--
Joshua O'Connor
@joshua-oconnor
14 years ago
32 posts
i was the same when i first backcombed as they came undone i was like ahhh questions questions,,, also i found after back combing a month or so later when loose hair and frizz was on the go more than dread then stupid folks saying to me u got super messy dreads u need then retwisted or go to a salon get them tightened,,, my respone was a blank expresion and a polite ehhh nah man lol,,, but tbh for the last 3 or 4 months i just havent bothered atall nae questions nae panic itl do it in its own time ,,, apart from the comments from my mum,,, and the 'fashonable' people and few other types of folk,, i get no hassle now :) haha
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
I'm going on almost a month with this first (and hopefully only) set of dreads and I love watching my hair change! It does look different everyday, more tangled and I am starting to see a few baby dreads forming. It is really cool watching the process, I'm totally enjoying the ride. I needed to read this discussion today though, just to make sure that things are moving in the right direction, it seems like it is :) I am so excited to see the end result but I'm happy watching it unfold!!
kiela
@kiela
14 years ago
4 posts
In my second month of knotting, and all I can say is that everything I've tried to "do" to my hair has turned out to be a bad move! I understand that some people want to have the "nice, clean" dread look for any number of reasons, but I'm coming to the realization that pretty, well-formed dreads just take time! All the products and processes just give the illusion that the dreads are farther along than they actually are. I initially used wax, HATED the feel of it in my hair, and ended up pulling out a bunch of my precious baby knots when I removed it. A few days ago I saw a friend whose dreads I really admire using rubberbands on his roots, which I had been wondering about the advantages of. I tried using them myself, and ended up damaging a lot of hair, not to mention all the wasted time putting them in and consequently cutting them out! The best thing I've done for my hair so far is to go camping, keep it clean, let my friends play with it, and otherwise ignore it! Seriously - my hair knotted dramatically after two days in the woods. No more interventions for me... dreadlocks are not just a hairstyle, they are an approach to life. I love my natty, frizzy, unfinished baby locks infinitely more than any well-groomed style.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u been here 2 minutes and i already love u :)yea the woods are the best thing for dreads 2 weeks camping and mine dreaded up naturallythats all it took was time in the woods and a few beads kiela said:
In my second month of knotting, and all I can say is that everything I've tried to "do" to my hair has turned out to be a bad move! I understand that some people want to have the "nice, clean" dread look for any number of reasons, but I'm coming to the realization that pretty, well-formed dreads just take time! All the products and processes just give the illusion that the dreads are farther along than they actually are. I initially used wax, HATED the feel of it in my hair, and ended up pulling out a bunch of my precious baby knots when I removed it. A few days ago I saw a friend whose dreads I really admire using rubberbands on his roots, which I had been wondering about the advantages of. I tried using them myself, and ended up damaging a lot of hair, not to mention all the wasted time putting them in and consequently cutting them out! The best thing I've done for my hair so far is to go camping, keep it clean, let my friends play with it, and otherwise ignore it! Seriously - my hair knotted dramatically after two days in the woods. No more interventions for me... dreadlocks are not just a hairstyle, they are an approach to life. I love my natty, frizzy, unfinished baby locks infinitely more than any well-groomed style.

--
kiela
@kiela
14 years ago
4 posts
*smoochas*
updated by @kiela: 07/23/15 08:20:03AM

/ 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus