dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thin hair Question

Jim clark
@jim-clark
13 years ago
3 posts

Hello

I plan on starting dreads soon. My hair is about 20+in long and is very very thin. The method I had in mind is to roughly section off my hair then braid each section and leave it braided for a week or two then undo the braids and let them form natually.

I am woundering if it is worth it to section it off and braid it if I am going to be using the natural method in the end?

I feel like it would give my hair a better texture after the braids come out. What are your thoughts/suggestions?

ThanKs!!

updated by @jim-clark: 01/13/15 08:52:55PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it would but its not nesacary just stop combing the lengthalone will give it plenty a good start

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jim clark
@jim-clark
13 years ago
3 posts

Thaks sE

Bene
@bene
13 years ago
35 posts

I also would say that it isnt necasarry,

but i think that starting with braids can be very effective not necesarly for thr knotting but i think that with braiding you can control better the sections of your dreads.

My little sister sometimes makes cornroes (not sure if i wrote it right) in the summer and she leves them like the whole summer and in the end she gets a few pretty neat and nice sectioned dreads but she always combs or cut them out when they are too knotted.

what i was saying is that it also can be a method to start dreads and i think you should try it because as far as i know we have very few to no reports on this site of ppl. who started their dreads this way.

It would be interesting to see how it turns out and how well it works because we have informations about nearly every method how to start dreads but not about this one.

so i would say do it, could be a cool experience :-)

greetz

bene

JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
13 years ago
217 posts

i think it would work better if you either left the braids in or didn't do them in the first place. i think the texture would wash out and be a waste of time, and i think it's best to let dreads section themselves naturally. the roots take to dreading a lotbetter when they get to choose where they want to be rather than where you put them. some sections of hair really don't like being clumped together like you'd think they would. you could stop brushing for a few days until your hair starts naturally sectioning a little bit and THEN do the braid thing. i just ended up getting a lot of dreads that decided to become 3 or 4 dreads at the root instead of 1 so i pretty much had to undo all of my dreads from my initial sectioning.

i know a girl with BEAUTIFUL dread who used braids. she had the braids in for about a month with rubber bands holding them in place, and then just took the bands out, she didn't undo the braid itself though... i assume they formed up quite like the twist n rip, since tnr is like a big twisty braid anyway (or at least mine were) :0)

Jim clark
@jim-clark
13 years ago
3 posts

ThankS bene, Eva and Suz

I think what i will do is stop combing as suggested and let them start to section naturally then put the braids in and go from there.

Ill still debate over undoing the braids or leaving them loosely braided to form.

Should be interesting ill keep yall informed.

more thoughts/suggestions are more thanwelcomed

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form