Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I wanted to add to the "natural" discussion :(

Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
So sad, because my purpose of creating it was to point out how ridiculous this all is.I don't know how to delete it, but I'm sure SE was planning on it anyways.Adios amigos! It's been good, but I think I will be leaving for quite some time. I can't imagine anyone on here would want to keep in contact with me, but if you do, I have an email :)Good luck to all of yalls.

rawsum said:
I see Bryce deleted his thread.. or so it seems.. I might implore you to do the same bird... these threads are very embarrassing IMHO and counter productive to the positive motive set out on the front page mission statement .. please delete.. thanks ahead :)

updated by @bird: 07/23/15 03:31:35AM
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
...just another well meant discussion that ended up like so many others before: dead arguing about words which makes no sense and is nothing more than a waste of time..
Renee
@renee
14 years ago
22 posts
Wow I actually saw someone liken the neglect method to diet and exercise, and backcombing and tnr to diet pills and gastric bypass.As a holistic nutrition counselor, and someone who started by backcombing, I can only say that this is a very poor analogy.There are two debates going on here, obvious to some, but apparently not all since this is STILL going on.1) Neglect (with separating congos, so...?) versus starter methods (chemical free), and what should we call those methods?, and2) Chemical/product free vs. wax/chemicals & manicured locs.Yet, like the massive web that forms on so many of our heads during this process, it is all jumbled up into a cluster.Unfortunately, UNLIKE separating sections, I see no indication that we are moving toward any type of rewarding solution. People are ultimately losing site of any value to the community here and leaving because of the cannibalistic tone that is, seemingly, inevitably taking place.So what's the deal? Are we unable to agree that someone can express an opinion differing from ours, to which we can put our two cents, and then say "right on, brother/sister, one love?"Do we not realize that we are part of a galaxy of over 400 billion suns, which is one of another 400 billion galaxies, and living out a human experience together within a Reality beyond anything we can comprehend? Adventure. Big picture. Perspective...Is that over the top? :-)I guess I am just as much to blame, for responding, or better yet, even reading a post that I know is going to be redundant. Apparently, I still have some growing to do, as well.
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Right, I think what she means to say is provide the info but don't critize someones choices because whatever their reasons for dreading, it's their hair and their choice. Give advice when needed but no need to overreact if someone decides to do something to their hair regardless of the advice given, and in the long run if it does damage their hair we'll be here to help them figure out a way to fix it. We're all friends here, and I think she was just saying some people get extremely judgemental on this site.

Knottysleeves said:
Well said, Bird. There's a fine line between "promoting" natural dreads (which I believe this site was originally intended for) and disrespecting a person's individual dread journey, and sometimes that line clearly gets crossed around here.

I'm all for sharing information about least-damaging methods and so on, but it's disheartening when someone comes to the forum looking specifically for information about (for example) backcombing and all they get is comments that belittle their choices. "Why would you want to backcomb?! You'll look stupid and goofy!" and "If you care about your dreads and want to keep them more than a year then going natural is the only choice" and so on. I don't like that. Not everyone is interested in having their dreads "saved" or being recruited into the natural/neglect/spiritual/etc mindset... they just want information without the hype.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
i still like the term freeform :) it has an organic sound to it. IMO it works much better than natural. but then again, it is only my opinion.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I wish there was a like button for this thread.
ily babe
@ily-babe
14 years ago
18 posts
this thread got kinda brutal.I agree with Bird about certain ppl. being given preference.the whole ONLY VEGAN stuff is the only thing that bothers me. Im not anti-vegan, but honestly the whole "that has chemicals" thing gets ridiculous.also, i think the wool tam stuff is exaggerated also. and probably the residual mold thing too. And making the BS/ACV wash seem as if its the only thing thatll work too well.bye mijas... forevs(ps. im going natural, IMO, those are real locked hairs.)(i dont even listen to bob marley either, or hippies for that matter.)

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form