Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

From braids to dreads?

Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
Hi, I'm new here.Today, I went to a salon to fix my dreads (I did it horribly the first time), and they said the best they can do was to braid my hair and eventually it will turn into dreads. I don't know exactly what they meant by that because they were somewhat vague about it, so can someone help me out? Do I just let it go by itself? And, they also said I'm not supposed to wash my hair, which is pretty strange since washing hair keeps it together. But, how do I wash my hair? With a hair net?thx
updated by @antony: 02/14/15 09:18:48AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
screw salons how much did they charge yau want to wash your hair! but use a residue free soap (or baking soda see the products section)braids can become dreads but you donr need braids to dread your better off alowing your loose hair to dread naturalywhats your hair type how long is itpost a picturealmost all salons are scams and screww u up be glad they didnt cake em in wax too(i moved this to methods it fits better there)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
trubut to grow the best dreads possible it helps to start off right.. (and the dreads forming by hair falling outs partialy true but theyd form if no hairs fell out too once u get 1 knot the hair entering the knots uneven while the hair from the scalps straight where they meet the uneven hair it bunches up creatting new knotsif u just tie a knot in the end or toss on a bead over time they will dread

--
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
Ok, i uploaded a pic of my old dreads to my profile.The salon charged me a whopping $80 for so called dreads. BTW this was not my idea, my parents and grandparents were complaining that I needed to do it in a "neater way". Unfortunatley, they used a s**t-load of beeswax. And, now I feel somewhat guilty that my dad had to pay 80 bucks for nothing.I would say my hair is about 5 - 6 inches, wavy/straight.I guess the only good that can come out of it is better sectioning, since last time there were way too many hairs not in a dread.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
ok dude your hair is like sooo perfect for natural dreadsor if not 100% natural then twist n neglector controlled natural just section then force on beedsid recomend going natural and ruip into the size sections u wanti bet ya anything it will dread super fast

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
ughu gotta get all that wax outsince its just braids unbraid it and do agressive wax remocval(call the salon demand your money back they screwed u wasx is the worse thing fir dreads)onbce u get the wax out u can go natural..or twist in sections then allow it to go natural..or twist n rip if u must have a neater looki say go natural scrww needing the neater look its your dreads not theyres Antony said:
Ok, i uploaded a pic of my old dreads to my profile.
The salon charged me a whopping $80 for so called dreads. BTW this was not my idea, my parents and grandparents were complaining that I needed to do it in a "neater way". Unfortunatley, they used a s**t-load of beeswax. And, now I feel somewhat guilty that my dad had to pay 80 bucks for nothing.
I would say my hair is about 5 - 6 inches, wavy/straight.

I guess the only good that can come out of it is better sectioning, since last time there were way too many hairs not in a dread.

--
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I learned so much from this thread.So, tomorrow, I'm going to try to get my money back. I'm also going to print out this thread to show them that braids + heavy wax =/= Good dreadlocks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
you can also print out this http://mamamojo.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/the-dreadlocked-mess-momster/ she was a disaster till she dewaxed and started overthen in the wax thread theres project wax vidswax is the worse thing u can do to dreads Antony said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I learned so much from this thread.
So, tomorrow, I'm going to try to get my money back. I'm also going to print out this thread to show them that braids + heavy wax =/= Good dreadlocks.

--
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
I started mine by sectioning then braiding. I braided for 2 reasons : if you leave the braids in for a day or so when you undo them they are much "nappier" and whatever method you use to start them will be more effective. Also having them braided allows you to focus on one lock at a time with the others kept out of your way.However since they waxed you you need to follow se advice and undo and de wax. Plus if I hadn't already done wha I did I would just let them go natty and ri p. Take advantage of your opportunity to do so. Just get a nice wool tam to wear if everyone criticism gets to unbeara le for ya. You got ta lot of support here whatever you end up doin. Good luck
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form