Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how to dread

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

the question "how to dread" is asked so often its ridiculous to try to simply answer "allow yourself to dread"

but thats really the answer to how to dread, in fact the only answerso you might wonder what all this is ya hear about dreadkits backcombing waxing rolling rubbing crochetting and so onthese are not really part of dreading at all, all dreading occurs naturaly, however in an impatient world there have been methods developed to make hair appear to be dreaded long before it really isso 1st lets answer the question how to dread properlywash your hair with non residue soapwaitfeel for clumps forming seperate em into individual clumpswaitagain seperate to prevent them from combining into 1 dread (unless your religiously bound to do pure neglect)wash semi often..weekly or as neededin a few months youll be dreadyok lets explain the newer psudo dreading techniqueswool rubbing and rubbing in circles with hands..this is kinda an excelerated natural but can cause some weakening if excessivedone by rubbing incircles with hand drush or woolwool is besttwist n ripsimular to braid then neglect it creates very dreadlike matts quickly with minor dammage but as decent amount of pain usualydone by twisting a section, then deviding into 2 (randomly) pulling apart forcing knots towards the roots repeat till you reach the tipbackcombing a fairlyy painful dammaging method its surprising its the mosdt often chosen method since the results are often crazy looking sausage like liberty spikes with much hair yanked outr at the rootsbut since its popular here it is altho i dont advise it personalytake a fine toothed metal comb comb very fast and agressive bacwards towards the scalpholding the tip only allowing a lil to slip out each timeeverything else u hear about rubbings products waxings rubber bandds and not washing is not part of dreading at allmost is lies to sell products and servicesthe best way to dread is the way dreads always have dreaded since the begining of time..allow the dreads to form on theyre ownif you must jump start them.. do the bare minumum to give it a startthen allow the hair to dread as all hair wants to dreadthere are no complicated instructions needed but since theres thousands of pages of lies there should be at least one saying whats realthat dreads dont need to be made they grow on theyre own

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/04/18 01:01:39AM
Blonde Dready
@blonde-dready
15 years ago
84 posts
how much damage does backcombing do? i just did light backcombing with a plastic comb so i wouldnt mess up the health of my hair but is it still bad for ur dreads overall health?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
it all depends on how agressive tya areu might just get a few split ends or u might yank 1/3 out at the rootsalotta ppl go way overboardcertainly a light plastic comb does less then agrewssive metalu can just fingertease and get the same results with next to no dammageas a rule the less ya do the better and the stronger anbd healthier ther dreads wil bepretty much close to all dreads that last about 20 or more years were strarted naturaly. natural dreads dont get dammaged as they lock and generaly dont get rubbed and rolled or have sticky products so tend to outlast all others by as much as 3 times the lifespan lur morelet em be pretty much from here on and you'll be finesounds like ya were smart and didnt try to rush it by beckcombing em to hell/ Nick G. said:
how much damage does backcombing do? i just did light backcombing with a plastic comb so i wouldnt mess up the health of my hair but is it still bad for ur dreads overall health?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
you seem misinformedwhen you comb hair the regular way it causes dammage in the form of split endssplit ends are why even when your trying to grow your hair you still need trims every couple months to remove the dammaged endsbackcombing is far more agressive and dammaging..and painfulyour going against the natural way ya comb, and you are diing it with much more forcemany actualy pull hairs out at the root so they have exposed roots hanging stuck in the dreads.the fact is many people do want to keep theyre dreads a lifetimehowevernaqtural dreadsw can last a lifetimebackcombed sometimes last 10 years (same with crochet) very few last longerwax users rarely last 5by the way deffensive is when u deffend your thinking against thyue information being pressentedso technicaly your being deffensive for not being informed of the dammage done by backcombing before you backcombedadditionaly if u google repairing dammage from backcombing u moastly get pages reffering to the more gentle teasing popular in the 80's but they all state that once the dammage from backcombings done....nothing will ever repair it

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
backcomb is far more agressive then tease isso dammage is greatterplus most backcombers then go on to palm roll root rub tip rub and even croghet these all add to thye dammageand you are wrongsplit ends are entirely from combing, blow drying on the other hand cause heat dammage and drying of the hair which causes dammage the entire lerngthhow can ya say combing never causes fdammage thats something iknew since i was 5 years old..its common knowledgeevery person alive has had trims all thyeyre life wether they blowdry or not these trims are to remove the dammage caused by regular combingthe dammage tou claim tou dont have you cant see without a madnifying glassand just cause your smart enough to not rip out hair doesnt mean a thing..most backcombers do it ageressivly most say it hurts very badly (even a mother of 4 said ir was worse then choldbirth)and ive seen massive dammaged caused by backcombngincluding the whole dread covered inlil white specks...that were the roots that were yanked outhow can metal teeth scrape against hair repeattedly and agressivly without causing dammage? Mustarov Bulzokin said:
I sorry english not greatest... but you very wrong on split end and backcomb. Split end most cause by blowdry, straighten, and curl not comb at all. Comb regular make for to release hair that come off head naturely. Backcomb not pull any hair out of my head, not hurt either. Must be smart of use it. And I google, but information seem about "tease" (had to google that) much often every day. Backcomb only once. I informed on backcomb because I use it. Much more than you and google. I start lose respect because of close mind soaringeagle. I bet there not anyone who cut dreads at 10 year because "damage" of backcomb. Especially because "damage" would only be short piece of hair from where backcomb 10 years ago. You have agrument with no substance. Real life more reliable than google and computer.

soaringeagle said:
you seem misinformed
when you comb hair the regular way it causes dammage in the form of split ends
split ends are why even when your trying to grow your hair you still need trims every couple months to remove the dammaged ends
backcombing is far more agressive and dammaging..and painful
your going against the natural way ya comb, and you are diing it with much more force
many actualy pull hairs out at the root so they have exposed roots hanging stuck in the dreads.

the fact is many people do want to keep theyre dreads a lifetime
however
naqtural dreadsw can last a lifetime
backcombed sometimes last 10 years (same with crochet) very few last longer
wax users rarely last 5

by the way deffensive is when u deffend your thinking against thyue information being pressented
so technicaly your being deffensive for not being informed of the dammage done by backcombing before you backcombed

additionaly if u google repairing dammage from backcombing u moastly get pages reffering to the more gentle teasing popular in the 80's but they all state that once the dammage from backcombings done....nothing will ever repair it

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

1st is a teasing comb 2nd flea comb used in backcombingteasing combs have wider spaced teeth and are often plasticflea combes the teeth are very tight together and metalmost wgho backcomb with plastic combes break many teeth off thats why metal is recommendedwhat do u think is easier to dammage a single hair thats .01 mm thick or a plastic tooth thats maybe 2 mm thickin order to have enough force to break plastic teeth u must use eniough force to tear hairs to shredssimple physics my friend

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
Use of inferior styling tools that rip or snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes or combs, brush rollers, etc.,).Improper detangling techniques.in other wordscombingso if combing causes dammagedetangling techniques remove a very very small number of knots at a timetangling by backcombing on the other hand is creatting millions of kbots atr a timethis is Improper tanglimng techniquews" so odviosly is a massive cause of dammageyour very own "proof" proved my point clearly ...thank youmaybe you should read every line not just one

--
ben
@ben
15 years ago
23 posts
Hi people, merry christmas from France!I'm interested in this discussion because in my dread experience I've tried quasi all the methods described before in my own hair, so if it can help someone, I will resume each one and make reserves about disadvantages I heard on the site. In the order I experienced these:-wax: yeah, I recognize, I put the magic wax of the pretty and charismatic jonny clean in my hair (an entire jar)honestly, I agree that this will not make dreads and that jonny clean is saying many bullshits to sell his productsbut I can't say that wax is definitively a bad product, because it can help dreads to become mature a little faster, in my case, I had no problem to wash it out after 5-6 washes, and have to recognize that despite of the business selling wind speech of jonny clean, this guy has pretty dreadshowever, to resume I don't recommend it, because the disagreeable sensation of englued hair exceeds the very little progress it procure- twist and rip: I walked in this way for several months, and honestly, it makes a very very long process to see effective results, twisting and ripping my dreads everyday, and harming my hair, but in a natural way that can work, demanding patience-backcombing: I think that 's a good and simple way, easy to do that with a friend, but yeah it causes a little breakage at the roots (not so worrying)-crocheting: the last method I experiment, and I think the more efficient and fast to have perfect dreads, with a 0.6 mm crochetokay, it causes a little breakage at the roots, but easy to evite, crocheting only 2 or 3 centimeters after the rootforevermore, the only good way to make rounded ends to dreads, and despite I heard here, this is the method demanding the less maintenance ( I crocheted my dreads 6 months ago and never have to re-using the crochet after, this stay very tight)So to my mind, the better way to make dreads with a minimal maintenance is beginning with a little backcombing, then crochet ( 0.6 better to not harm the hair)or natural-neglect method if don't fear having mature dreads in long months or years, passing by no very good looking stagesjust 2 questions to soaring eagle: you worried me a little, saying that dreads made by crochet will not dure more than 4-5 years, how can you explain this phenomen? have you seen that around you? I feel my hair in good health, and hope conserve dreads for many yearsotherwise, visiting the DDHQ site, I've seen a strange tool that JC call head honcho, do you think this bullshit is able to do anything good or bad, despite of what poems JC says about it?thank youps: on all the methods I tried, wax to crochet, were in the same set, I never had to cut my hair, maybe my scalp is good resistant
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
well almost no crochetters do it once then stop they typicaly recrochet weekly or bi-weekly the dammage adds up and the dreads can fall offhow long did you have yours?and in very many cases natural dreads do not mature any slower then any others..they can form in a week or two they can look like decent tight dreads in 2 months and pretty much all dreads mature round the same time.. but it can vary..som e might take awhile but the same goes for any mothods used..you used a whole jar? i hate to tell ya this but theres no way it came out in 5-6 washessome ppl used it just one time or only in the 1st 2 weeks and still had a wax core after 5-6 YEARS of washingsill hafta look at his silly gadgethahaha ummmm...more useless crap...dont scratch your scalp..buy our amazing gadget that scratches your scalp for you...all you hafta do is use the same motion and pressure ya would if you were actualy scratching your scalpamazing huh? ben said:
Hi people, merry christmas from France!
I'm interested in this discussion because in my dread experience I've tried quasi all the methods described before in my own hair, so if it can help someone, I will resume each one and make reserves about disadvantages I heard on the site. In the order I experienced these:

-wax: yeah, I recognize, I put the magic wax of the pretty and charismatic jonny clean in my hair (an entire jar)
honestly, I agree that this will not make dreads and that jonny clean is saying many bullshits to sell his products
but I can't say that wax is definitively a bad product, because it can help dreads to become mature a little faster, in my case, I had no problem to wash it out after 5-6 washes, and have to recognize that despite of the business selling wind speech of jonny clean, this guy has pretty dreads
however, to resume I don't recommend it, because the disagreeable sensation of englued hair exceeds the very little progress it procure

- twist and rip: I walked in this way for several months, and honestly, it makes a very very long process to see effective results, twisting and ripping my dreads everyday, and harming my hair, but in a natural way that can work, demanding patience

-backcombing: I think that 's a good and simple way, easy to do that with a friend, but yeah it causes a little breakage at the roots (not so worrying)

-crocheting: the last method I experiment, and I think the more efficient and fast to have perfect dreads, with a 0.6 mm crochet
okay, it causes a little breakage at the roots, but easy to evite, crocheting only 2 or 3 centimeters after the root
forevermore, the only good way to make rounded ends to dreads, and despite I heard here, this is the method demanding the less maintenance ( I crocheted my dreads 6 months ago and never have to re-using the crochet after, this stay very tight)

So to my mind, the better way to make dreads with a minimal maintenance is beginning with a little backcombing, then crochet ( 0.6 better to not harm the hair)
or natural-neglect method if don't fear having mature dreads in long months or years, passing by no very good looking stages

just 2 questions to soaring eagle: you worried me a little, saying that dreads made by crochet will not dure more than 4-5 years, how can you explain this phenomen? have you seen that around you? I feel my hair in good health, and hope conserve dreads for many years
otherwise, visiting the DDHQ site, I've seen a strange tool that JC call head honcho, do you think this bullshit is able to do anything good or bad, despite of what poems JC says about it?

thank you

ps: on all the methods I tried, wax to crochet, were in the same set, I never had to cut my hair, maybe my scalp is good resistant

--
ben
@ben
15 years ago
23 posts
I have dreads for 3 years but crocheted them just 6 months ago because there were so many loose hair on all the body of the dreads, from the roots to the tip, so I used crochet not to make them but to give them a better consistence and look bettermaybe using crochet to make dreads cause more breakage...yes, I used a whole jar of DDHQ wax, and also a whole of knottyboy (approximately the same), and today I feel no wax in my hair, my locks are tight so I can't see or touch if there subsist a little amount of wax in the middle, but no stickin'touch, no brown colored water when washing, and look very goodafter 5-6 washes the most volume of wax was removed, and I felt the wax entirely removed after about 3-4 weeks, so about 10 washes3 years ago when I start dreads I first went in a salon (france), they put in my hair a very rigid/inflexible dark sort of wax that they make melt with a lighter to re-solidify in my hair and stay like rock about 10 months trying to come that shit out, so very horrible experience with a salon, never recommend to go there, making dreads dure at least one full day and they want to make yours in 3 hours, so harm your hair a lot
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form