Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Finally giving in to my longtime desire!

Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
I have, from the time I can remember, always wanted a head full of locks! But of course my family felt differently. They still to this day say, "Dont get them", "no one will hire you ever again", "you will smell", etc. But, that doesn't change that fact that its what I want to do.I have very thick hair, lots of it! And, its super wavy and untame in the back. Hair stylists hate it :) But I love it! I am currently trying to figure out what will be the best method for me. I'm currently looking for a job, so it needs to be somewhat "tame". I want very small dreads. I really like the more braided look of braid dreads, but I've heard they take a long time to look like anything more than messy braids.I really dont think the "au natural", just leave it, will work for me at this point in time. I added some pictures so you can see length and how my hair... is. lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
updated by @lacie-blaze: 01/13/15 08:45:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why wouldu say naturals not right fior u u seem like a natural kinda girl?but if u diont go natural t&r is definately a good way

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Its just not the right point of time that I can do that. I have to interview, and I am already having a bit of a tough time with discrimination towards my tattoos... I dont want someone to not hire because my hair looks messy, and nothing like dreads to the uneducated eye.I think I am going to start the TnR tonight. Thanks! I will post pictures when I get done :) soaringeagle said:
why wouldu say naturals not right fior u u seem like a natural kinda girl?
but if u diont go natural t&r is definately a good way
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
a mess dont look a mess when tied back or in a bun

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
We started the TNR last night... but we only got a couple lines through. Is it going to look odd if we dont have straight gridded lines?! cuz we were just kinda grabbing hair and trying to make sure strands werent crossing other strands. But they're very oddly placed now. lol. We stopped for the night so I could figure out of there is an easier/better way to do it. We've only started sectioning it off, I haven't started tnr'ing it yet, so I can always redo it if theres a better way.Oh, and thanks for the rat compliment! That's my hairless girl, Devi'. She's always really social anytime I get over near her cage... they're some of the best pets. I just gave 2 to my step brother and sister... they love them already.I have always wanted to see how my hair looks in dreads.. I have so much hair that does wth it wants... I think it will turn out great. You're so lucky to have a mom who has dreads... mine will lecture me the first time she sees me... but I have talked about them enough for her to know its ganna happen one of these days. But I'm definately going to try to get through most of the messy stage before I show her... once they're starting to look right I'm ganna go show up with a huge smile! :D Chewin Change said:
my mom and i have the same hair type as you. i think you'll have some badass, full lookin dreads if you stick with your commitment.

t&r if you don't want em messy.. but my hair is thick and wavy too but I'll always recommend natural cause i think it looks coolest. t&r looks like dread tho, so the natural process instead will ease your co-workers into the idea cause it's not very apparent at first.

good luck :) keeping your hair clean and properly washing is very important. have fun with it.

BY THE WAY i love your little rats. not many people i know like mice or rats and i have pet mice. then im gettin some rats afterwards. i love em!
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Oh and after a bunch of reading and an eye opening dream I had today, I've come to conclude I need to do freeform. So, now the problem is going to be keeping my hands out of my hair... as this is a bad habit I have. Should I just wrap my hair up to keep from my habit? And if so, what should I wrap it with? I dont like wool... I'm not sure that its an allergy, but it itches like crazy! I have a 100% cotton bathing suit cover that I usually use when I'm having a lazy hair day... will this work? Any materials work better over others? :) Or just a plain ponytail?Thanks everyone for your input so far! I'm glad to have found a forum so helpful before starting this whole process... cuz I already can name numerous things I would have eventually regretted but I wouldn't have known any better until it was too late.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
scarves work well for keeping hair out of the way. If you check out some of our local crafters here & etsy there are all types of yarn to make tams from not just wool. Wool just works really well because it causes friction and helps the dreading. You can put it into a ponytail but you need to be careful not to leave it in one for very long. It will affect the way your dreads form. A good rule is to let em hang for as long as you tie em up!
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Thanks NW! I will keep that in mind when I put my hair up. I did put a skirt that i found over my pillow case last night( 40% wool, 40% rayon, 20% Nylon) in hopes it would help... I didn't seem to itch too bad, but my hair was actually more tame than when I went to sleep the night before. :( then I saw someone had said that some materials can actually make it come undone, so I wanted to make sure thats not what its doing. :) Now I have a soft wool feeling hat that I borrowed from my bf... I'm not sure that it is wool... but its definately a little more coarse than most materials, so I'm hoping it will work pretty well.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form