Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"neglect" dreadlocks process. What am I to expect?

Adam Forest
@adam-forest
14 years ago
5 posts
Hello Everyone, I have been growing "neglect" (silly term) dreadlocks for nearly three months now. I wash with residue-free shampoo; baking soda and ACV three times a week. My hair is very thick and wavy - shoulder length. I find it odd that my hair is not even beginning to knot up after three months. I never touch my hair - apart from washing it to keep it clean. I let it air dry and leave it alone. I thought it would separate a little and resemble the start of dreadlocks by now, especially because it is thick, wavy and very curly underneath. but it just looks the same as when I used to brush it. I even received a compliment today about how nice it looked. Ha ha. It just looks like normal brushed hair. I have all the information at hand and what more advice can I follow but that of leaving my hair alone and keeping it clean? Has anyone had the same experience?I had dreadlocks for seven years. They were close to my waist when I cut them. I put them in myself in 1998 using beeswax and backcombing. Needless to say everything is true: lint, dirt, fluff, grease, and eventually mold causing the dreading experience to be truly "dreadful". But in 1998 I had no internet and the only information I could get about dreadlocks was via word of mouth and everyone said the only way was to use beeswax, which I got for free from a local beekeeper. It wasn't until I met some natural dreadlocked folk who simply let them be - very lovely dreadlocks, too - that I realized wax was rather disgusting to rub through one's hair. I put up with it though because the dreads were very mature and wonderful on the outside but on the inside - filthy. After I cut them I had a look inside and the wax was still in there. After seven years!Anyway, I haven't had dreadlocks for six years so I thought I would let my hair be and see what happens. But nothing is happening so far and I'm not sure exactly how long it takes for dreadlocks to form or if they form one at a time or all at the same time. I guess it varies for each hair type. But I'd like to hear from anyone who has grown "neglect" dreadlocks and what it was like in the first few months. As I have mentioned there has been NO change in my hair without brushing for nearly three months. It looks like nice clean wavy hair. I will not resort to backcombing or any other method. It either dreadlocks alone or not at all...Many blessings.
updated by @adam-forest: 01/13/15 08:45:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
what shampoo are u using? is it oily at all?and are u sure your not running fingers thru even in youir sleepwhats your washing and drying techniqye?when u wash and dry if u rub it alot that can untangloe toopost pics we might see something your missingbut oktypicaly it gets a more stranded look as it seperates (kinda how hair looks when wet) (oh yea how long is it?)next it startsd to tangle here and there u will most likely get a few dreads then a feew more not all at oncetry wearing a wool tam at night put a wool sweater over your pillowtry sea salt spraysand if oily reduce oilinesssits not unheard of to have very lil progress for months but it is unusual so myy 1st instinct is saying something is interfering

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam Forest
@adam-forest
14 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for the reply. I am in Europe and use a shampoo by a company called "Urtekram" it has next to nothing in it except essential oils. A very lovely organic shampoo. Completely clear, runny with only a slight scent of tea tree oil. It leaves no scent in my hair and it feels quite dry afterwards as I don't use the conditioner. But during the day my hair returns to it natural wavy state and detangles. It is shoulder length. I tried the woolen sweater over the pillow. I pad my hair dry, put it in the towel for ten minutes and then take it out without touching it. I will try the salt water spray and see what happens. I will continue not to brush it and hopefully one day it will decide to dreadlock. If I run my fingers through my hair in my sleep I am definitely not aware of it : )
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i would try to play around with the baking soda wash. Since your hair is really thick you may need to up the amount. I use 1/3 cup of BS to 1 gallon of water, my hair was to my butt before dreads. I also like to actually soak my hair in the baking soda mixture in the sink. I would stop the acv as well it's pretty conditioning. You could also try some sea salt/water spray. I commend your choice to go neglect. I too feel there's no other way for me to dread! Many Blessings
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea id try the baking soda as welland to dry shake it dont wrap it shake it out let it drip drythe baking soda u dont scrub the hair at all so its definately betteru can try sleeping in a wool tam a month that will give u a clue if u are undoing it in yoir sleepi have a feeling even if u dont think the shampoo is leaving residues or is conditioning they yhe oilss it has are detangeling

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea its definately the shampoo causing u problems its aloe based so is very conditioning without the conditionersstop using that switch to baking soda and i bet u see an imediate diference and make more ptrogress in1 month then u have in 3

--
Adam Forest
@adam-forest
14 years ago
5 posts
Great! I will try these things. Also the ACV leaves my hair really shiny and soft but I'm prone to bad dandruff and it works a treat. I'll stop using the shampoo. Your right - aloe vera is one of the key ingredients in it. I wasn't aware that that was conditioning.Also how much baking soda to water shall I place in a jug - talking cups? We don't use gallons here so I'm probably mixing it too weak...Thanks again for all the help. Goodnight.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1 tablespoon per cupthe acv mix it extra weak and use it extra shortlike put a small ammount inalot of water pour it on then rince it offu can skip it but u might get itchyit helps restore ph so if u use it real weak real quick it hopefully wont soften it too muchu could try the mayless bar too scrub just the scalp rince thru the hair

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form