Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting Dreads...HELP

Sadie
@sadie
14 years ago
5 posts

i just have a few questions and would like some advice! i started a few test dreads last night and wanted to have some input on if they are supposed to be as fuzzy as they are and how long it takes for them to calm down, also what eveytone things about sectioning the hair, and experience getting it done in african american salons as opposed to just doing it myself, i have good hair for it i just want it to look acceptable as soon as possible...
updated by @sadie: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
i hope this helps http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/dreading-methods personally i think you should go natural but if you can't wait the next best thing is to twist and rip.... that link should help, gd luck xx
Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
14 years ago
66 posts
I don't advise going to a salon. They nearly always don't know what they are doing and will plow your hair with wax and other products.As for the fuzzyness, that is completely natural and will calm down as your dreads start to tighten and lock up properly.I wish you luck with your journey (:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
sectionings up to uif u want boring dreads wich are all exactly the same then sextiion either squar (but staggared) or triangle or random shapes but all the same sizeorfor a more real natural look secyion more randomly within a size range just try to limmit the hairs at the roots that are criss crossedAnd no salons no salons no salons just have a freind help do the back

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sadie
@sadie
14 years ago
5 posts
thanks i am just sitting here starting them today and mostly i just was concearned about the fuzziness. but if that will calm down then i should be good. i decide not to no even sectioning just to grab and go
Sadie
@sadie
14 years ago
5 posts
do those look pretty good for like one hr? lol like the spacing im so new to ths
Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
14 years ago
66 posts
They are looking greatKeep going the way you are and your locks will be beautiful (:

Sadie said:
do those look pretty good for like one hr? lol like the spacing im so new to ths
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
I say watch your sectioning. You can make them as big as you want and anywhere you want, but try to make them go in the natural direction of the hair. Also make them clean, you don't want to get hairs in one dread that should be in another. It will be a pain(literally) to deal with once the start tightening. Trust me I know how it is .. :/
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I'd suggest letting it get a bit tangled first then sectioning. It helps to be able to see where the sections would naturally be and then you can either go natural or t & r from there. IMHO It looks pretty funny when people section there hair like a grid and you can see all scalp!Anyway Welcome to our lil knotty family and you are very naturally beautiful by the way!! Many Blessings
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I agree with NaturalWomyn on the sectioning, if you section with no regard for the natural growth patterns on your scalp then you run a higher risk of having your dreads combine/split as they grow out.I've had a couple sets of dreads, and with each set I stay away from mirrors as I'm installing, I just feel around for a natural section. It helps with keeping them separated like I said before, but also gives you a more diverse range of sizes, so your dreads don't look too manicured.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form