Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Finished the dreads and a question

Alicia2
@alicia2
14 years ago
12 posts
I know my hair, and I know I will wake up in the morning to a mess! Is there something I can do, spray with water or something to tame it down? And how soon can I wash it?Oh ya, when we were tnr it, the ends of the dreads are like little brushes, like the last inch. Is that normal? It is like the last inch did not take, because it was so close to the end, my fingers could not do anymore without it slipping off the hair.Thanks - Alicia
updated by @alicia2: 01/13/15 08:41:58PM
Jordan Skwarek
@jordan-skwarek
14 years ago
12 posts
Not much you can do about the mess that is the way it dreads and yes that is normal. If you really need you can put 100% pure aloe vera on them to smooth them out but I would say that's for dreads that are at least slightly mature.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I t&r'd my hair as well, and yes, the ends will probably never dread up. To this day I either have wispy tips, or the dread has completely looped into it's self and swallowed the end right up. You'll probably also notice (if not now then hopefully soon) that you have about an inch of straight hair at the scalp. That's both perfectly normal and recommended. You need that extra inch so that your hair can move about freely without causing too much tension on the scalp. Check out my timeline if you're looking for comparison pictures.As for the mess, there's really nothing you can do. Welcome to another 8-12 months of endless mess. Trust me, it grows on you after a while! It's best to just forget you have hair from here on out, and just flow with it... and maybe either find a tam that you love, or learn to crochet your own! I've found that my crocheting really keeps my mind off of my hair! Both crocheting and learning to make your own peyote stitches are awesome 'patience' projects as I call them; they keep your mind focused on the work, so you forget about your hair.When it comes to washing, wash when you feel you need it. I recommend starting to space out your washings (start with every other day, then every three days, then every four, until you're washing once or twice a week) so that as your dreads mature, your scalp won't produce as much oil, and they'll stay 'cleaner' longer. When you wash, I also recommend getting used to washing with baking soda, and rinsing with apple cider vinegar as this is one of the best ways to keep your dreads clean in the months and (hopefully) years ahead.Feel free to leave me a comment or something if you have any other questions!
Alicia2
@alicia2
14 years ago
12 posts
Hey, thanks you guys! Yeah, there is like an inch of hair at the scalp, I read here you do not want them against the head, to leave a bit of room there. Everything just looks kinda...well, like when you get a perm and they take the rollers out and hair is going in every direction. Is that normal? I let my hair fall where it wanted and started randomly sectioning it and let it kind of do it's own thing. Some small, some larger. Does all of this sound okay? And I am following SR's baking soda shampoo and ACV rinse. When you wash the hair, do you just use your fingers on the scalp, and let the baking soda do its thing, and not touch the dreads>Thanks - Alicia
Alicia2
@alicia2
14 years ago
12 posts
Oh, and any ideas where I can find decent tams? You do NOT want me near knitting needles or crochet hooks. trust me!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
in our shops and ifg u get 1 from ho9me grown use the code suppoertr dreadlockssite to give 10% to the siteand u dont need to touch your head at all with backing sodsa just soak no scrubbing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form