Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the helping dexter dread thread

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
as a community of dreads we can pull together and help eachother when one of us is getting discouraged with his dreading progressthe story so fardexter is filipino i believe, bone straight hairhe backcombedhe went 2 weeks i think without washingwhen he washed most untangled completely?(dexter when u read this please explain in detail how u washed and with what)the 4 that didnt untangle he gave up on and took outmy opinionbackcombings not dreading and ofte4n untangles or loosens sometimes nearly completely and his hair would have redreaded in time if left alone(backcombers and those who expect quick results are often the most disapointed and pannic at every unexpected change)but since he pretty much undid it allhe can either, start over as he hadgo natural (2-3 more inches would help)or a modification of methodsno matter the way we suggest , nothings going to happen in 2 weeks onlyin the 1st month it might be more setbacks then progressi would recomend this personaly (trial and error)1st tryhold a sectionof hair tightly between 2 fingerswith other hand pinch it lil less tightly just below the gripping fingers near the tipslide your fingers up and down it teasing it (bek said act like your jerking it off) pushing lil bits that slip fromj your grip towarfds the rootsyou can twist it a few times and do it too might help even morethe goals not to get it real tight just to get it to hold shapethen wet the tip and force on a bead that will stick tightly semi near the tipnow when u washthe 1st few times id use the no scrub baking soda methiod (add sea salt)..orif u use non residue soap u only want to wash the scalp not scrub tyhe hair then rince the soap through the hairthe beads will hold em togetherwashing helps em knotdont wait 2 weeks wassh weekly..but gently at 1steven mature dreads u rarely wash the full dreads u wash the scalp and ribce thru thye rest (well the baking soda ui soak the full dreads)another suggestionand i hesitate to suggest it cause if u dont do it very loosekly it can be very harmfulltoe a knot in the ends, then lopp the end through the root (hair just below the knot) in random places in random directions (meaning split the hairs unevenly each time siometimes in the center sometines near 1 edge or the other, and dont always go from 1 side go around)now u only want to di this a few times in say 6 inches of hairu dont want it looking like a dread ast all even more like a funky lil loosely reverse braid kinda thing with holes and gaps (so u know itts really loose)if u do it tight uu can loose your dreadbut rerally loose it just holds themn together, it also gives each strand that crucial uneveness that promotes looping and lockingthey will look finny s few weeks but they should begin to lock semi quicklyif u wash weekly by a month they should stop looking funny and show real signs of lo\ckinggthese are not preffered methods mind youonly suggestions on what u can try that will worki would rather see ya go natural or modified natural adding in beadstwist and rip would be the preffered common method for you i thinkyour 1st washes will need to be gentlesome recomend the stocking wah thing but that just seems goofy to me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:25:24PM
Kellye
@kellye
15 years ago
91 posts
i did the stocking paanty hose wash it might seem goofy but no one see's you in the shower and it worked for me and i had super striaght hair washed it after 2 weeks and i'm quite happ ywith how it turned out... so forget it looks goofy
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
could try spraying a sea salt mix and lemon onto the dreads for a few days before backcombing? should dry them out a fair bit and give some grip for the hair.i have super oily hair and found that i needed to wash like every second day at the start, then when my hair dried sprayed with more sea salt spray and lemon. I did use wax though at the start :(the washings with pantyhoseis a great idea. I would try that rather than go 2 weeks or more without washing.And as se mentioned, more length could help too.
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
Kath has a really good idea with the spray of sea salt water or lemon juice. That'll work for any method really. It'll add the extra texture that your hair needs to dread up in the beginning.
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
Hmmm....What about a combination of backcomb & T&R? I mean if his hair is bone straight, sometimes the extra damage can help it knot better I believe.OR ... Perhaps get a perm to make his hair curly and more likely to dread easier on its own?Or.. even better.. What about curling the hair with a curling iron, Twist & Rip it- wearing wool tams- neglecting it- using a dry method of washing for a while to get the oils out- like (SE didnt you have a good recipe for a camping or no water wash for dreads?) and def use a stocking if washing in the shower?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
perm id avoid id go with wool hat neglecta few weeks should begin some knotsthen continue that wary or t&rbutthe biggest problem he had was becomming discourages and giving uo too easy when backcombing fell apart..which happens to many people then theylet it go natural from therenot expecting instant results might be the best thing for himi dont think dry washings the answer since hair knots up best when wet and clean

--
tha tron
@tha-tron
15 years ago
147 posts
im with the perm, dry that hair out and add some texture to it. Not washing would cause it to lubricate and fall apart. I like the seasalt and lemon juice idea especially if you have oily hair. Also maybe even a hot comb before backcombing I also like rubber bands as place holders just not too tight MountainWillow said:
Hmmm....

What about a combination of backcomb & T&R? I mean if his hair is bone straight, sometimes the extra damage can help it knot better I believe.

OR ... Perhaps get a perm to make his hair curly and more likely to dread easier on its own?

Or.. even better.. What about curling the hair with a curling iron, Twist & Rip it- wearing wool tams- neglecting it- using a dry method of washing for a while to get the oils out- like (SE didnt you have a good recipe for a camping or no water wash for dreads?) and def use a stocking if washing in the shower?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
perm would be a messthe new growth being different from oldi think no backoming if he doesnt go natural themn twist n ripjust throwing onn beads would do it toowhen u force beads into hair, some hairs are always pushed up unevenlythat unev4enness creates a loop that other hairs can slip into this creates the 1st knots which build on reachother

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
couldnt have said it betterwho rememberes the thread on the old site where the kid says .. just grab some hair and start yankin like your masterbating..and after its sufficiently vigourously pleasured it'll be all knotty (the then said to palm roll it like your trying to start a fire and u should do it till u feel heat..thats a lil excessive manhandling i think)

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form