Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

twist and rip vs natural. HELP!

alicia jean
@alicia-jean
14 years ago
11 posts
okay. i want to know specifically about t and r dreads. i like the idea of natural, but i would like to make sure i have fairly skinny dreads. from what i understand t and r is as close to natural as it gets without being actually natural.i guess what i really want is just a little control over the 'finished product'.i figured i would start out with it natural and see where there is natural separation and then t and r it to hold and avoid congos and if there was any that separated too big i would divide those and t and r to hold.thoughts? advice? hilarious comments that have nothing to do with the post but will make me smile?
updated by @alicia-jean: 02/03/18 02:37:40PM
Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
well, i don't look at my dreads like a product, and it seems that half the fun in the process is how little control you really have over them. But...I TnR mine a little over two months ago, maybe two and half months ago. I think I just didn't really know what the hell i was doing, so pretty much all of them unraveled after a week or so. It was frustrating (i have little capacity for patience), but I decided to kind of 'let go' and see what they'd do. After all time is on my side... it has a habit of progressing. haha. My hair still sort of remained in sections, and they are knotting up completely on their own. After the first couple of weeks, i just forgot about the whole thing and am now letting them do their thang.Just relax, do what feels best for you and try your best to be patient (i know its hard... this process is actually helping me though!)
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Twist and Rip doesn't avoid congos. Pulling sections apart from each other keeps your dreadlocks from creating a congo.Your dreadlocks will hold together better than back combed dreadlocks will in the for the first few months. However in the end the only thing you can get out of using the twist and rip method is specific sectioning. Regardless of how you start your dreadlocks all dreadlocks end up maturing with the "Natural Method"
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i could keep dreads thin naturally mine were very thin till i let em congo (except 1 or 2 that were average thicknessgo 2-3 weeks before u decide to t&r that way u can get a lil idea what natural progression u can expect in a short time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
alicia jean
@alicia-jean
14 years ago
11 posts
awesome! thank you so much guys! you are all so helpful and i really appreciate it and will be taking your advice
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form