Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tried Twist and Rip

Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
AND I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!!!!I've read about this method, but never really dug deep enough to find a good description of how to actually do it, until I started looking around on our beloved forum.So I was meeting up with a member of the site to help get his dreads started, but he wasn't sure what method he wanted to use, tho he had ruled out natural because of his work. So I started his first 7 or so dreads with twist and rip. They looked kinda funny and skinny and spinny and just plain neat, as if his straight hair were actually curly after being locked.What really convinced me was when he decided he wanted to backcomb. So I did a few and then he asked if I could undo the first several and back comb them so they all 'matched' in appearance. To each his own, so I started trying to unravel the twist and rip dreads I'd made and it was harder to do than trying to undo backcombed dreads; and they were less than an hour old!!So needless to say that I've a new favored method, aside from natural. It really makes me regret 4 sets of backcombed dreads on my own noggin.
updated by @alden: 01/13/15 08:35:23PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
haha yea i kinda figured youd find that was the case twist and rips definitely superior to backcomb

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lindsay3
@lindsay3
14 years ago
32 posts
I have twist ripped dreads and they are definitly the way to go compared to backcombing in my opinion:)
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
What are twist and rip? What exactly is that?
Lindsay3
@lindsay3
14 years ago
32 posts
It is what it sounds like :) really simple you twist your hair (I did about three twists and then ripped) and then you take the end and pull it apart and that pulls up the knot and you just keep repeating the same process :) Jaquerian McCain said:
Lindsay3
@lindsay3
14 years ago
32 posts
May just depend on your hair? Mine is curly and gets knotted very easy so that may be why its working ok for me. My husband backcombed his and they seem to be falling out and he has been having me twist rip his ends but that doesnt stay in either... Sister Rags said:
I can't understand why, but twist & rip has not worked for me unless I put a bead on to hold the t&r. T&r Works just like back-combing does for me...I think the hair is "really" locked, but it doesn't stay locked.
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
Sounds like the hair is tearing or is being torn! LOL Oh well - never had to do it. Whatever method works for people - its their journey. All locs are beautiful! Lindsay said:
It is what it sounds like :) really simple you twist your hair (I did about three twists and then ripped) and then you take the end and pull it apart and that pulls up the knot and you just keep repeating the same process :)

Jaquerian McCain said:
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Here is a good video of how "Twist and Rip" is done Keep in mind the woman in the video is speaking Danish. In another video she translates what she said, in the video above, into English.Essentially it is done by twisting a section of hair and pulling it apart with at random.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form