Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Getting my hair started

tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
I'm looking at starting my first (and hopefully only) set of locks but have a couple of questions about my hair and getting the process started. My hair has been bleached/highlighted so it is pretty dry and somewhat frizzy if left untreated (from the color processing). I have started dying it darker before I start the process so I wouldn't have to worry about severe roots during the locking process. But here is my main question:After I wash my hair, even when I condition it before getting out of the shower, my hair is completely full of knots. I don't know if this is normal but I really have to work at brushing out the knots to make my hair tangle free. So, to start this process, I will just wash and not condition my hair but when I get out of the shower, should I leave my hair knotted up as it is from washing? Is this when I could start separating into locks, while knotted up like this? Should I try to finger comb it to make it less knotty? Will this knottiness help speed up the locking process?Also, should I sleep with something on my head at night?I am really excited about using this natural process for locking up my hair. I was all set to get it back combed but thankfully came across this site just in time.
updated by @tasha2: 01/13/15 08:33:24PM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Hey there, the dryness in your hair from the bleaching/dyeing might actually work in your favor since it makes it knot up so much, whenever you feel like the clumps/sections are forming you can separate them as desired, since your hair is so knotty to begin with you'll probably see results pretty fast to.most people wear wool tams to help get them going/ encourage further knotting, not necessary, but it may prove helpful. I used to wear a beanie every night and I can see even that helping.not sure about the finger combing, SE mentioned he used to fingertease/play with his a bit.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if the knottinress is insections leave em if its all 1 bigg ass crazingess seperate u want to seperate into dreads so u dont get 1 great big dreadfor u id hesitate to ewear a tam or hat at least at 1st and see how it goes or u might wake up with a single dread tye exact shape of the hati have actualy seen some ppl dread overnight

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
Ok, so I'll try separating my hair after I wash it into dreads (it pretty much is one big crazy mess, not wear a hat at night and just reseparate the dreads in the am after sleeping and see how it goes!I have a wedding coming up the 2nd weekend in May. Do you think I should start this before the wedding? I'm not in the wedding but I'm not sure how unruly my hair will be looking at that time. I'm imagining my hair out of the shower without being combed and it is quite a sight ;) If you think it may start to actually look like dreads by that time, that is cool..if not, maybe I'll wait to start after (although I'd love to get going).
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it probly could look like dread babies by then but kinda wiggly whacky fuxzzy babiesu can tie them back tie em up in an updo do other things to look more presentablyif they are kinda baby dreads tie em up in a bun and probly noone will even notice (after u take em down seperate again) natalie byelich said:
Ok, so I'll try separating my hair after I wash it into dreads (it pretty much is one big crazy mess, not wear a hat at night and just reseparate the dreads in the am after sleeping and see how it goes!

I have a wedding coming up the 2nd weekend in May. Do you think I should start this before the wedding? I'm not in the wedding but I'm not sure how unruly my hair will be looking at that time. I'm imagining my hair out of the shower without being combed and it is quite a sight ;) If you think it may start to actually look like dreads by that time, that is cool..if not, maybe I'll wait to start after (although I'd love to get going).

--
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
Sounds good, I'll probably get started then this weekend :0
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
I think dread wraps are good for formal occasions....not the wraps for individual dreads, lol had to edit because I just remembered. It's like a scarf kind of thing that you wrap around your head and it covers your dreads.
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
Ok, I haven't started my dreads yet b/c I was waiting for an event to be over (yesterday) so I'm excited to get started. However, after reading another post this morning, I realized that I may need to really get my hair clean before I start. This past week I've had my hair colored to a darker brown (from blonde) to be a closer match to my natural color b/c I didn't want to have to deal with any major dying processes while my dreads were forming. So should I do a wash with baking soda to get all the crap out (that I can't see) or will just a regular wasing with a cleanising shampoo be enough? thanks guys :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well if cleansing u mean clarifying a shampoo designed to remove residue then u=its fineif the shampoo contains conditioners id use the baking soda

--
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
ok, thanks! soaringeagle said:
well if cleansing u mean clarifying a shampoo designed to remove residue then u=its fine
if the shampoo contains conditioners id use the baking soda
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form