Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question regarding Twist and Rip.

Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
I have started doing a couple of twist and rip dreads. I'm not too worried about how they're looking and i'm excited to let them do their thing, but i just want to make sure its not going to mess up the process that there is about an inch or so of untangled hair between my scalp and the more knotty part of it.

I couldn't quite figure out how to start the knots up toward the scalp so they started about an inch from it.

Excited to start everything, and thanks to everyone out there with such good advice. I've really enjoyed reading all of the threads.
Peace,

-Jordan (Bird)

updated by @bird: 02/14/15 07:36:27AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
if anything, it's hard to T&R (least it was for me) closer to the roots, if you only have 1-2inches to it, that's pretty nicely done,give the roots time, they will probably take a few months but they lock up well eventually.
j.boy
@jboy
14 years ago
47 posts
thats what worried me..i tried everything to get the to knot up closer to the roots .....doesnt happen....ive noticed that the thinner ones are dreading alot faster than the thicker ones...good luck...
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
I used twist and rip for all my dreads. I managed to get the knots pretty close to the scalp (but was prolly a little too rough), but I don't think it really matters. After the first month, almost all my T&R had fallen out, except the last inch of knotting by the scalp where natural tangling had started. That natural tangling is what you're going for, and tight knots at the scalp don't help. For me, T&R was a way to skip the period between straight hair and clumps, and to give me some control over section sizes. It wasn't to create dreads, but to start them.Just enjoy letting it happen.
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
you want room at the scalp for movement and comfort too close and they will pull and get uncomfortable. not tomention you will see your scalp and it just won't look good...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if u only got knots in the very tip it would dread just fine to the roots so even 3 feet of looseness at the roots would be fine in the end

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no its not breaking up hairs not if dont right yoir just creattuing knots its very gentle typicakly

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
New meaning for "rule of thumb" lol. You want at least enough space that you can stick your finger through the root. Like someone said, it'll save you from the "bald patch" look, it wont feel constricted and it'll be easier to wash your scalp.
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Vanny, it sounds like you're talking about ripping/popping , which is essentially hair damage. I've been wondering about this too, but I think this is the wrong discussion. rastavanny said:
isn't the t&r method still damaging? its breaking up the hair closer to the roots, still sounds like its damaging the hair
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ripping/popping breaks hairs that connect dreads together this is true, its a clean break (no split ends) and does zero damage to strucrtural hairsa (hairs inside the dreads are not effected, only hairs outside the dread connecting 2 dreads) yiu cannot avoid it unlrsss you allow dreads to combine at willexternal damage is very different from crochet rubbing rolling damage that affects interior structural hairs that once broken add to weaknessfelting and crochet do the most internal damageinterlocking doesnt really do much damage but causes weak points by the twisting of the roots tightly and forcing the dread through a gap..the weak point isnt cause d by damaged broken hairs but by the gap with the dread forced through

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form