Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rubber bands on dreadlocks

DONTRAY
@dontray
6 years ago
4 posts

Greetings. I've been using rubber bands on my dreadlocks for about two and a half months. Some say it's bad while some say it's not. I actually seen a guy who used rubber bands on his dreadlocks to get them thicker — his were successful as he had a 6 months journey with them posting videos up. I had my dreads for about 3.5 years. I just want to see some opinions on rubber bands.

Thanks

updated by @dontray: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

bad bad bad! remove them immediately and instantly you will feel much better about them

1 they d not alow them to dread corrctly

2 removing them after only days unknots knots that formed around them

3 they cause weak spots! your dreads can even break cause of using them (not likely but does happen)

4 in a week they can become completely swallowed and stuck inside the dread..forever

5 they can break up into chunks that stay in dreads and dry rot forever

6 they can melt into a sticky icky goo that stays inside the dreads forever

7 they will dread way better without them

8 i must not be fully awake yet cause i know there are 12 reasons to never use rubber bands..and not 1 reason to use them

beads or wraps or peyote sleeves are way better (and dont look as goofy as rubber bands) they dont constrict (tighten themselves around the dread squeezing)  theres zero chance of them being swallowed or having knots form around them

but the best thing you can do is let them be free to move. the freedom to move is what creates knots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
DONTRAY
@dontray
6 years ago
4 posts

They're not necessarily tight rubber bands, but loose. I don't know if that'll change the view of me using them. I've been using them since last November 2017. I still wash and maintain while the rubber bands are being used. Who knows. I might be speaking to early as I'm not experiencing any problems with my hair. It seems like some of them are "joining" each other to get a thicker dread — my roots are somewhat together.

updated by @dontray: 02/18/18 01:03:09PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

take them off what 'maintainig' are you doing how were they started what products were used

you will need to separate them to prevent growing together thats the only maintenance needed

--
DONTRAY
@dontray
6 years ago
4 posts

Before I started to use them I had the "semi free form" look. I hate using that term, but I'll use it. Ha. I started out typically finger twisting them and eventually I stopped twisting them as I got into the free form idea. Months later, I wanted to get 'em thicker so I decided to use rubber bands.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

they will get thicker on their own ..but they should not be combined till mature cause you wont know how thick they will be till then

and once mature if you simply dont  separate, they join together (i have 6 combined into 1 all over my head from not seperaing)

--
P3RMAamp
@p3rmaamp
6 years ago
80 posts

I was always told you never want to use rubber bands on loose hair because it causes thinning and breakage. I’ve never understood why many think it would be any different for dreads. Hair is hair. Rubber bands don’t belong in it. 

updated by @p3rmaamp: 02/19/18 10:31:00AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

exactly i wouldn't even tie them back with 1

--
DONTRAY
@dontray
6 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I seen you comment on a YouTube video a while back when I was doing some research. Again thanks.

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form