dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Safest way to congo?

i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts

Peace and love,

So, I've always loved the idea of dreads as "natural roots" put forth by many spiritual dreadies, and i love the individuality and vibration of dreads that were allowed to congo as they please. They act as powerful symbols of self love as a child of creation and the strength of your roots, and for some reason they have always resonated with me. I find huge congo'd dreads (such as bob marley's or david hinds of steel pulse, pictures attached) to be Awe-inspiring and gorgeous, and have pretty much already decided that i'd like to let my dreads unify as much as possible without causing damage.

Which brings me to my question: What is the healthiest and safest way to congo dreads? my dreads are still forming, ive been letting them congo as they  form and rarely separate, but since i dont plan on ever cutting my dreads, i want to make sure I wont cause scalp damage from excessive weight down the line. should i let them form first and mature as "average sized", and then let them congo later on to slowly test their weight?

also, do free formed dreads thicken naturally down the road even without being congo'd? my "babies" are roughly the size of what i would say is your typical loctician dreads, but some feel much denser then those i've felt on other dreadies.

Any info would be helpful!  Make a great day, fellow souls (:

Namaste

updated by @i-and-i: 09/18/16 03:43:15PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well yes they thicken as they mature

also congos are awesome///most of mine are congos some are 6 dreads in 1 but..i never let any 1 dread get over an inch thick

david hines dreads are awe inspiring yes.. but the thicker the dreads the less oftem you can safely get them wet

typically if you have a unidread.. you wash it once a year then treat it with anti mold anti fungal herbs

anything over 1 inch is very much likely to grow mildew if caught in the rain

they can pull unevenly causing pain they can be very hard to clean and may develop scabs and sores on the scalp where you can't get under them to wash

so

wait till they mature 1st

see how thick they are then congo with care ..

if you congo too much you'll likely need rot knot often

2 of mine i wish i didn't let them get so thick and they are just a hair over 1 inch thick ..they dry slowly and yes there have been times those dreads started tto get funky so needed rot knot

i have to take extra care to dry those 2 dreads extremely well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

as far as safest way..ofcourse that's just to not separate and let them congo..but only after they are mature and you know how thick they will be

or..if your prepared to take all the risks and potential issues that might come with huge dreads

--
i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts

Yeah I could see where they could definitely be problematic to clean and maintain if you let them get to the David Hines level haha, he'll always be an inspiration to dreadies everywhere. 

How should I apply that 1 inch rule to the 3 flat dreads I have going on the back of my head, though? should I base it on the thickness of the dread rather then the width? (If that makes sense)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

overall average

so 3/4 x 1 1/4 would average to 1 inch

--
i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts

way to be scientific about it, SE Happy

thank you again for all you've done for me and all the people who have healthy happy dreads thanks to your knowledge! If it weren't for you, I'd probably be back combing my dreads with elmers glue or worse, wax, right about now xD 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

elmers glue is worse then wax, but on a youtube vid on how bad wax is some woman replies "wax can't be that bad my neighbor uses superglue and his look great"

yea..super glue

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form